May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

Everyone says that Ozzie is a player's manager, and his supposed best attribute is being able to motivate his players and take the pressure off of them. I don't think even greg775 would say Ozzie is a superior in-game manager. With that said, if the players are tuning him out and/or not enjoying playing for him, then something needs to be done. Sometimes relationships just end, and it seems like it's happening here.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
True, but you don't often see teams actually make the postseason and have such severe chemistry issues as that team did (ie: Swisher complaining about being benched in the postseason).

Well, it's not like there was some great run they made all year that was really going to build any great chemistry. The postseason was in doubt til the minute they actually clinched it. Then all the sudden you wake up and go play in Tampa and before you know it, you're at home sitting on your couch. I'm sure if you asked, many of those will tell you those last 2-3 weeks were a complete blur to them.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm looking forward to a clubhouse led by guys like Peavy/Beckham/Rios/Thornton. I think things will improve greatly.

The tide has finally shifted from Dye/Thome/Konerko/Buehrle/Crede/Rowand/AJ....

The question is whether players like Rios (seemingly Jon Garland's twin personality-wise), Quentin, Ramirez...your most talented players, what kind of leadership do you get out of them, if anything?

Danks would be one I'd look to emerging in this area big-time, Floyd, not so much. Teahen's a very good clubhouse guy, but how can you lead anyone if you basically suck as a player?

That's why the personalities of Flowers, Viciedo and Hudson will be critically important to their being "accepted" or rejected by the veterans...particularly Tyler and the pitching staff.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Everyone says that Ozzie is a player's manager, and his supposed best attribute is being able to motivate his players and take the pressure off of them. I don't think even greg775 would say Ozzie is a superior in-game manager. With that said, if the players are tuning him out and/or not enjoying playing for him, then something needs to be done. Sometimes relationships just end, and it seems like it's happening here.

I don't know Fathom.

I see guys like Mark and Jim Thome adoring Ozzie, and it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult for me to believe what guys like Nick Swisher have to say about him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
I see guys like Mark and Jim Thome adoring Ozzie, and it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult for me to believe what guys like Nick Swisher have to say about him.

I don't think there's a single manager those two guys wouldn't like. They are both just outstanding human beings and better teammates.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
I don't think there's a single manager those two guys wouldn't like. They are both just outstanding human beings and better teammates.

I agree, but I also think that if Ozzie was some huge A-hole to play for that Jimmy wouldn't have been hugging the guy after every home run he hit. People that are great human beings usually are outstanding judges of character.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
People that are great human beings usually are outstanding judges of character.

Meh.. that can go either way in either case. I personally think guys who are just good human beings/people more or less have a good heart. Hell I consider myself a good person, but one of my closest friends is the nicest, good hearted dude I've ever met and he has some friends who are pretty much assholes (alot of times to him). But he just has a good heart to look past some of that scrutiny, and his friends love him even if they mess with him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 27, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Meh.. that can go either way in either case. I personally think guys who are just good human beings/people more or less have a good heart. Hell I consider myself a good person, but one of my closest friends is the nicest, good hearted dude I've ever met and he has some friends who are pretty much assholes (alot of times to him). But he just has a good heart to look past some of that scrutiny, and his friends love him even if they mess with him.

Who asked you anyways? ;) I kid.

Regardless, Ozzie needs to create an atmosphere in which his players have a chance to succeed. If he does that well, then the team has a fighting chance. I tend to think he does that, by the way he handles the pitching staff, takes heat off the players, and creates a fun atmosphere. Whether or not they actually perform well-enough is on them, in the end.

But that's just my lone opinion.

I think Hahn will be the GM very soon with Williams moving up to a president type of role. I think Kenny can't continue to deal with the high strung lifestyle, etc.

Ozzie will probably go ballistic shortly. Its just a matter of time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2010 -> 12:53 AM)
I think Hahn will be the GM very soon with Williams moving up to a president type of role. I think Kenny can't continue to deal with the high strung lifestyle, etc.

I'd agree - I bet KW slides to Team President, Hahn to full time GM, within a year. And that Ozzie lasts no longer than this season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
I'd agree - I bet KW slides to Team President, Hahn to full time GM, within a year. And that Ozzie lasts no longer than this season.

I think right now a lot of Sox fans are hoping for that scenario to occur.

For it to happen though, I think we'd need to win about 70 games this season, which is still a possibility mind you, but then again the likes of Peavy, Floyd etc. can pitch a lot better while the likes of Beckham and Quentin you'd expect to hit better going thru the season.

So I'd put that scenario at 50:50 right now, and I'm probably more pessimistic in saying it won't happen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2010 -> 12:53 AM)

What do you base this on? Nothing tells me anything other than he seems to absolutely love it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)

I was thinking for the first time in as long as I can remember, Kenny has really taken a step back. Everything he has said and done has been way less high strung than he has been in the past.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2010 -> 06:37 AM)
What do you base this on? Nothing tells me anything other than he seems to absolutely love it.

I think the writing has been on the wall based upon my gut feelings from what I read/hear. I won't guarantee anything but I think Hahn will get his chance. It won't be KEnny getting fired or anything, he's a great GM, more that I think he is tired of the constant day to days of being a baseball GM, especially the way he handles being a GM.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.

And regarding Ozzie, the players started zoning him out last year so now that he has another year of more guys zoning him out, I think he'll end up going somewhere else. HE just doesn't have a style that leads to a long shelf life.

It'd be nice to have a GM who doesn't rush into things and only focuses on bringing in good, solid ball players. No matter what your viewpoint is, sabermetrics or traditional, it doesn't matter as long as you do your homework and bring in the best players possible. That is what I want to see out of our GM.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
It'd be nice to have a GM who doesn't rush into things and only focuses on bringing in good, solid ball players. No matter what your viewpoint is, sabermetrics or traditional, it doesn't matter as long as you do your homework and bring in the best players possible. That is what I want to see out of our GM.

Who did he not do his homework on?