Beckham understands Ozzie's comments

southsider2k5

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

NEW YORK -- Gordon Beckham was doing a radio interview Friday morning when he had the chance to hear audio of "the clip" delivered earlier in the week by Ozzie Guillen.

In classic Guillen form, the White Sox manager pointed out in Texas how Beckham is not the savior of the franchise, as Guillen seems to think he has been depicted. The 23-year-old Beckham also has "a long way to go," according to Guillen, and won't be "the man" as long as he manages a ballclub on which all 25 players are the man.

Some people took Guillen's comments as somewhat of a shot at the White Sox second baseman, when in reality, it was a manager simply trying to protect his young standout. Beckham saw the latter reason as the true explanation.

"He just doesn't want everybody to think I'm capable of doing, you know, above and beyond what I can do right now," Beckham said. "What he's saying is I'm still young and need to figure out stuff. I took it as the same as last year, where he's looking out for me a bit.

"I have no problem with what he said, not at all. He doesn't want expectations to be too great, too quick. He's trying to protect me a little bit and keep expectations as low as they possibly can be, I guess."

Beckham finished the first month of the 2010 season hitting .235, with four doubles, one home run and four RBIs. He has broken free from those early struggles with two hits in each of his last two games entering Saturday, nothing more than a pure coincidence with his bat getting hot after Guillen's speech.

Playing for a players' manager such as Guillen means answering questions about diatribes from time to time, Guillen dissertations which might seem a little bit harsher than they are truly intended. But Beckham has no issues playing for a direct man in charge such as Guillen.

"I like playing for him, but I like playing in general," Beckham said. "I like playing for Ozzie. But if I had another manager, I would not know any different.

"Ozzie is the only one I know. I like playing for him and being in Chicago and playing for the White Sox and it's fun for me. I'm happy with him here."

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
I like how the article just focuses on his offense. Beckham is one of the best fielding 2b in the league.

Yet KWs(Ozzies) latest pickups, Teahen and Pierre are in the bottom 5 at their position...

my god.

two rough games and the pile-on beings.

Soxtalk.com has become the Score670 overreaction post-game show.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
I like how the article just focuses on his offense. Beckham is one of the best fielding 2b in the league.

Yet KWs(Ozzies) latest pickups, Teahen and Pierre are in the bottom 5 at their position...

Based on what? I know his UZR is currently a +2, but that's a pretty small sample size and I don't think it means much of anything.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
Based on what? I know his UZR is currently a +2, but that's a pretty small sample size and I don't think it means much of anything.

He has the highest UZR/150 of any AL second baseman. I agree with you about sample size, though.

I do think he is a plus fielding cond baseman, though.

A number like is being talked about is pretty deceiving against my old eye test. There is no doubting that Becks range has been in the upper echelon. Seeing Robinson Cano tells me that there are better, but Gordo is up there. There are a couple of things he is still struggling with. His footwork on the DP still sucks. He isn't taking charge on the field yet, and that has cost us in spots. The thing he is really having problems with is getting his throws over in the air. He has a bunch of throws into the dirt that Konerko has dug out for him. How different would Gordo's fielding stats look with two or three errors if Pauly doesn't rescue him. I would be shocked if even the newest fielding stats took into account something like that.

I have noticed that the Ranger hasn't been around as much either.

No offense to us, but he's probably sick of the cliche complaints.

My pet peeve is the batting order complaint. The smart people on here are convinced it matters where Beckham bats. Before that it was Kotsay.

Rios should be moved up, whatever.

The way I see it is it doesn't matter much.

With such a long season as it is, he probably gets sick of all the arm chair quarterbacking.

Just win, baby and there is no arm chair quarterbacking.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2010 -> 12:51 AM)
No offense to us, but he's probably sick of the cliche complaints.

Naw, he knows he's not needed here with discussions as much. Gotta maintain the joke threads/post with the clowns that post on the other board. (though not to take away from the good posters who are overshadowed)

Edited by SoxAce

Yeah, agree on the head movement part, it's obvious to him I am sure watching tape, the problem is correcting it once the lights come on, I'm sure he's 100% confident in BP.

I must throw in with the others who think that working hard is not the same as being an effective hitting coach. The Sox have had trouble for several years now with hitting in critical situations. Although the team has been largely re-constructed, the problem continues. When Gordon Beckham came up last year, he may not have had a perfect swing, but he was hitting with confidence and getting on base. After Walker "helped" him, he can't seem to get a hit and he looks confused at bat. Item No. 2, Pierre. He's got to be one of the worst outfielders in the major leagues. At bat, he looks even worse. I don't know if that is Walker's fault, but he was a better hitter before he came to the Sox. Now he, too, looks confused. -- Garey Conrad; Urbanna, VA

Well, many of you asked what Walker does. So I told you he (and Mike Gellinger, the major league computer systems analyst) work endlessly with all the hitters. After Gordon widened his batting stance (under the suggestion of Walker), he went 4-for-8 before striking out in six of his next nine at-bats. Sure, the jury is out on the stance but Gordon told me before Saturday's game that he felt comfortable. I still think his swing tends to get long, although Gordon doesn't think so.

Walker was a first baseman, so he has nothing to do with Pierre's defense. And I think you'll see Juan as the designated hitter more often when Carlos Quentin is healthy and Alex Rios returns.

answer: Mark Gonzales/Tribne.com

How can you defend the coaching staff? Just as an example look at the number of players who were sent to the minors for rehab and came back hitting or pitching better only to fall back in a slump when Greg Walker or Don Cooper were in the picture. It appears they help no one. Then you have Ozzie's attitude that they are pros and should know themselves what the problem is. If that were the case, why not save a bunch of cash and get rid of them. Walker says the(y) (sic) need to find themselves. -- Randy A.; Reno, NV

Sergio Santos is the only rookie currently on the squad, and he's pitching great. That's a tribute to him and the player development staff.

Edited by caulfield12

As an Ozzie defender I thought I'd point out two MORE positives from today regarding Oz.

-- Did you see Oz and Peavy in the dugout after Peavy left the game? Oz was hugging him, up in his face, doing everything but kissing him. This is after seeing Oz doing the same exact thing to Buehrle after one of Mark's better starts earlier in the season. He appears to me to be a great players' manager.

-- I heard a long interview with Teahen on the Royals network today. He was asked a lot of questions about Oz and said he is convinced Ozzie says most of the things he does to take the heat off the players and be the story himself and the players appreciate that. I know Teahen can't very well blast Ozzie, but if you heard it you sensed it was sincere. Every time I hear Teahen talk I wish he was a better ballplayer. Seems to be one of the good guys in baseball.

I dislike his love of Juan Pierre but Ozzie rules.

Edited by greg775

Beckham firmly supported Walker, a target for the Sox's hitting woes.

"We'll set the record straight," Beckham said. "Anybody who thinks it's Greg Walker's fault that we haven't hit well is wrong."

Beckham worked on flip drills on the field four hours before the game and employed the same wide stance that he and Walker worked on last Wednesday.

"That's something I tinkered with," Beckham said. "I'm going to continue some form of that, but it doesn't have to be as wide. Once again, it's small adjustments that will get me in the right spot because my swing is the same, no matter if I'm swinging good or bad. It's the same swing."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
Beckham firmly supported Walker, a target for the Sox's hitting woes.

"We'll set the record straight," Beckham said. "Anybody who thinks it's Greg Walker's fault that we haven't hit well is wrong."

Beckham worked on flip drills on the field four hours before the game and employed the same wide stance that he and Walker worked on last Wednesday.

"That's something I tinkered with," Beckham said. "I'm going to continue some form of that, but it doesn't have to be as wide. Once again, it's small adjustments that will get me in the right spot because my swing is the same, no matter if I'm swinging good or bad. It's the same swing."

www.chicagotribune.com/sports

Like I said, Gordo go in depth on this on the score yesterday. It was very cool.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I didn't get to see more than a couple swings in 1 Beckham AB last night, can anyone say if he was still flying open? He looked a little better on the one swing I saw.

From my view from section 113, he looked terrible still. Flying open way too much, and just pushing the bat through the zone.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
From my view from section 113, he looked terrible still. Flying open way too much, and just pushing the bat through the zone.

He was still opening up, but it was less so. He still swung through a couple flat out meatballs. I think he's making progress, but he's still not there yet.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
He was still opening up, but it was less so. He still swung through a couple flat out meatballs. I think he's making progress, but he's still not there yet.

Yep, he hasn't shown any ability this year to get on top of the high pitch. He did a good job of this last year, and was able to hit the ball to right field. This year, he's just whiffing on that pitch.