12:05 (CSN, TBS) Sox @ Yanks

Real

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Well Pauly ends the whitewash.

Good for him, keep up the great season. Only improves his trade stock, and if this is his last year with the Sox, then I want him to go out in a positive light.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Good for him, keep up the great season. Only improves his trade stock, and if this is his last year with the Sox, then I want him to go out in a positive light.

Keep an eye on the Braves. They desperately need another bat, ideally a 1B. And their farm is oozing talent. Although I don't have much faith we could get much for 3 months of PK.

The good thing is that this counts the same as a 3-2 loss.

And there is a good hockey game on NBC.

That being said, it's time to start addressing some of the weaknesses and issues of the ballclub. Something has to be done with Gordon, whether it was what Sqwert was advocating in moving him down in the lineup, or sending him down to Charlotte for a spell. As far as I'm concerned, our 3-4-5 needs to be Andruw/Pauly/Rios. Q looks like he is starting to get a clue up there so hopefully he will start hitting for some kind of average soon. AJ is going to go through these spells, you just have to live with him. Teahan and Alexei are definitely a concern, as is Pierre. Going to have to try and do something to shake them up a bit.

The SP has been extremely underwhelming outside of Danks and Freddy. But Floyd is a slow starter and hasn't been as bad as his numbers might seem to reflect. Peavy and Buehrle are both a mess right now. Hopefully Coop can get them straightened out.

Bottom line though, we are still not far enough into the season to start making any long-term decisions, so we're just going to have to keep running them out there and hoping for some more W's until enough results have shaken themselves out to where we can start making some moves, whether for this season or going forward.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
The Twins are going to realize they are playing outside pretty soon. They can't play worth a damn outside.

I know you're being sarcastic here, but if you've paid close attention, a lot of people here pointed out that the Twins have been slowly making over their roster for this new stadium over the course of the past 2 years or so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
The good thing is that this counts the same as a 3-2 loss.

And there is a good hockey game on NBC.

That being said, it's time to start addressing some of the weaknesses and issues of the ballclub. Something has to be done with Gordon, whether it was what Sqwert was advocating in moving him down in the lineup, or sending him down to Charlotte for a spell. As far as I'm concerned, our 3-4-5 needs to be Andruw/Pauly/Rios. Q looks like he is starting to get a clue up there so hopefully he will start hitting for some kind of average soon. AJ is going to go through these spells, you just have to live with him. Teahan and Alexei are definitely a concern, as is Pierre. Going to have to try and do something to shake them up a bit.

The SP has been extremely underwhelming outside of Danks and Freddy. But Floyd is a slow starter and hasn't been as bad as his numbers might seem to reflect. Peavy and Buehrle are both a mess right now. Hopefully Coop can get them straightened out.

Bottom line though, we are still not far enough into the season to start making any long-term decisions, so we're just going to have to keep running them out there and hoping for some more W's until enough results have shaken themselves out to where we can start making some moves, whether for this season or going forward.

Good post. I will say that if it comes to the point that GB has to be sent down to AAA that it's seriously time to re-evaluate how good he really is. I was worried about all the hype coming into the season.

Edited by Jordan4life

I didn't expect us to win this game. Hughes has really found it after moving to the pen last year.

Plus, with Buehrle's struggles against the Yankees, it didn't make the odds any better. Time to kick some ass against KC when we get back home.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
I didn't expect us to win this game. Hughes has really found it after moving to the pen last year.

Plus, with Buehrle's struggles against the Yankees, it didn't make the odds any better. Time to kick some ass against KC when we get back home.

Yeah, that's really the way you have to look at it. The baseball season is a marathon, especially if your team is underperforming, and especially especially if your team is not hitting. But this is only one game, and should be treated as such, no matter how humiliating it has been.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)

Hughes always had it. He'd been tearing up the minors before he came up a few years ago. He just never got enough learning innings under his belt to succeed in the majors, until last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Yeah, that's really the way you have to look at it. The baseball season is a marathon, especially if your team is underperforming, and especially especially if your team is not hitting. But this is only one game, and should be treated as such, no matter how humiliating it has been.

To the Sox' credit, they hit pretty well on this road trip.

They scored a total of 28 runs in 6 games. That's almost 5 runs a game, which I will definitely take. The pitching staff was just bad, but you kind of expect that facing two good offenses.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
Hughes always had it. He'd been tearing up the minors before he came up a few years ago. He just never got enough learning innings under his belt to succeed in the majors, until last year.

Well, he did get a huge kick in velocity last year somehow. He used to be a low 90s guy, but last year, he started throwing in the mid to high 90s. He's taken that to the starting rotation with him this year. He's consistently around the mid 90s with good control. Very devastating combo.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Well, he did get a huge kick in velocity last year somehow. He used to be a low 90s guy, but last year, he started throwing in the mid to high 90s. He's taken that to the starting rotation with him this year. He's consistently around the mid 90s with good control. Very devastating combo.

The bullpen brings up velocities by 3 or 4 mph a lot of times. Being that he's still pretty young, he probably just finally grew into his fastball when he was in the 'pen last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Good post. I will say that if it comes to the point that GB has to be sent down to AAA that it's seriously time to re-evaluate how good he really is. I was worried about all the hype coming into the season.

Beckham is one of the best fielding 2b in the league... The Sox can live with his .220 average

Its boneheads like Pierre, Teahen, and TCQ that cant field or hit right now that are killing this team

This teams problem is that it has six 9th place batters

The Sox have the worst offense and have one of the worst fielding teams in the AL while the Twins/Tigers are both at the top

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
To the Sox' credit, they hit pretty well on this road trip.

They scored a total of 28 runs in 6 games. That's almost 5 runs a game, which I will definitely take. The pitching staff was just bad, but you kind of expect that facing two good offenses.

I've seen this comment about facing two good offenses a few times now, and I just want to point out, the Rangers are not a good offense right now. They are barely ahead of us in most statistical categories and we faced them without Kinsler and Cruz. Some of those lineups they penciled in were as bad, if not worse than ours right now.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Beckham is one of the best fielding 2b in the league... The Sox can live with his .220 average

Its boneheads like Pierre, Teahen, and TCQ that cant field or hit right now that are killing this team

This teams problem is that it has six 9th place batters

The Sox have the worst offense and have one of the worst fielding teams in the AL while the Twins/Tigers are both at the top

Um, no and no. And GB does not get a pass. He's been terrible so far.

He's not known for taking a lot of walks. We wanted to improve our defense, so we went out and got an incredibly mediocre defensive 3rd baseman. He's not fast, and we wanted to improve our speed. It's an incredible waste of 15 million for the next 3 years.

Teahen is a scrub. Anybody who expected a lot out of him was misguided. How many series have we won this year with our pretty awful baseball club? One?

10-15 going into games against the equally lousy Royals. It's Teahen vs. Pods for bragging rights.

Edited by greg775