A. Gonzalez Update 5/3

Marty34

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was poor form from Cowley attacking that blogger. But from his perspective, his field is kind of disappearing in the face of a lot of people providing aspects of his livelihood for free. I can at least see why he'd have an axe to grind. Plenty of other writers are a lot more classy about it. I think Sam Smith was pretty outspoken against blogging's role in today's landscape----- then he was let go by his paper and has now, in a sense, become a blogger.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
It was poor form from Cowley attacking that blogger. But from his perspective, his field is kind of disappearing in the face of a lot of people providing aspects of his livelihood for free. I can at least see why he'd have an axe to grind. Plenty of other writers are a lot more classy about it. I think Sam Smith was pretty outspoken against blogging's role in today's landscape----- then he was let go by his paper and has now, in a sense, become a blogger.

This is turning into another "Cowley" thread, but he bashed the "rumor" that the Sox and Padres talked names and possibly included the Angels in the mix, and now he reports that the Sox and Padres "talked names." He's reporting the exact same thing he bashed (very unintelligently and unprofessionally) in the offseason. There's really no defending Cowley here.

From the article: "One major-league scout said this week that the Sox and San Diego Padres had further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez and even discussed names. It shouldn't come as a surprise because the organizations know each other's personnel so well after the Jake Peavy deal."

Hmmm... let's see. I wasn't an English major in college, but I'm pretty sure that if the two teams had further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez, that means they must have had previous discussions about him.

But... but... I thought the two teams didn't have discussions about him. That was just a fantasy made up by some guys sitting in their parents basements. Wasn't it??

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
This is turning into another "Cowley" thread, but he bashed the "rumor" that the Sox and Padres talked names and possibly included the Angels in the mix, and now he reports that the Sox and Padres "talked names." He's reporting the exact same thing he bashed (very unintelligently and unprofessionally) in the offseason. There's really no defending Cowley here.

I dont think it was ever about the facts even back then. He never said that what the blogger indicated was a lie. He simply said (correctly) that the Konerko thing was a longshot (and it didnt happen).

And then he made fun of the blogger. That part is open for us to judge, yes.

But basically that whole episode was more just him making fun of someone who did a report online. I dont think it was Cowley saying a trade for Adrian Gonzalez could never happen. A trade for anyone can happen down the line. Everyone knows this.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
I dont think it was ever about the facts even back then. He never said that what the blogger indicated was a lie. He simply said (correctly) that the Konerko thing was a longshot (and it didnt happen).

But basically that whole episode was more just him making fun of someone who did a report online. I dont think it was Cowley saying a trade for Adrian Gonzalez could never happen. A trade for anyone can happen down the line. Everyone knows this.

I'd have to go find the original thread, but my recollection is that Cowley ridiculed both the rumor and the blogger. The rumor was clearly that this had been "discussed," not that it was imminent, and Cowley ripped it as if it was a "done deal." In any case, I think two posts about Cowley have more than surpassed my limit of wanting to discuss that guy.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)

You do know the "blogger" he was insulting is the same guy who owns this site?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
Can we try to keep this thread more about the trade rumor than bashing Cowley?

Except there's no rumor to discuss. "One major-league scout said this week that the Sox and San Diego Padres had further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez and even discussed names." Yawn. You could say the same thing about half a dozen teams.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)

Good idea. On the trade rumor, it does show that KW is trying to address the problem (not a big surprise there). However, IMO, Gonzalez is too expensive in terms of both current prospects (or major league talent) and future payroll. Even factoring in the expiring contracts of Konerko and AJ, there would be way too much payroll spent on too few players (mostly Peavy, Rios, and then Gonzalez). If KW could find a way to convince JR to add even more payroll, the Sox would be better off with someone like Berkman, who is an impact bat without the long term commitment of lost prospects and high salary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I thought Cowley dismissed Gonzalez talk as rumors from guys who run websites from their parents' basements? It must be nice to be able to talk out of both sides of your mouth and never be held accountable.

You beat me to it.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
From the article: "One major-league scout said this week that the Sox and San Diego Padres had further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez and even discussed names. It shouldn't come as a surprise because the organizations know each other's personnel so well after the Jake Peavy deal."

Hmmm... let's see. I wasn't an English major in college, but I'm pretty sure that if the two teams had further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez, that means they must have had previous discussions about him.

But... but... I thought the two teams didn't have discussions about him. That was just a fantasy made up by some guys sitting in their parents basements. Wasn't it??

Exactly. He just admitted we were right.

If there hadn't have been a personal attack involved in this, I would agree with you. That changes things completely for me. It is a legitimate talking point now.

I would love the Sox to get him, but am not holding my breath. Besides, chances are one way or another he will take Konerko's place unless you make Paulie the every day DH and see roll the dice and see how long guys like Jones and Quentin can last in the OF every day. If he's taking Konerko's place, which is a no brainer, given Paulie's numbers so far this year, it shows that onestop shopping in attempting to fix the problems on this team won't work. Face it, Pierre played his way out of the leadoff spot, so who replaces him? Ramirez? OMG. Vizquel? OMG. Kotsay? OMG.

Edited by Dick Allen

For some reason, I have a feeling Santos would be in trade talks sadly.

Edit: @ DA, I think Rios would end up leading off.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
If there hadn't have been a personal attack involved in this, I would agree with you. That changes things completely for me. It is a legitimate talking point now.

I thought things with him were resolved?

LOL, everyone knew that this would happen. Cowley makes fun of someone because he didn't get the scoop, then months later inserts said scoop into his article as if he was breaking a story. Real pro, this guy.

On the rumor... this team has played lots of very close games, so I'm in the camp that believes a small change could make a big difference. I hope we get this done.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
On the rumor... this team has played lots of very close games, so I'm in the camp that believes a small change could make a big difference. I hope we get this done.

i seriously doubt it was happening a few weeks ago, and then Howard set the bar at >$25 million a season.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 2, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
We have way too many holes on this team. Gonzalez isn't going to suddenly make us a contender.

IMO, we'd be a contender already if we didn't have 3 SP's with ERA's up somewhere above 6 and a 4th above 4.