Dish v. Direct

Texsox

Current thoughts? It seems I will be facing that decision at my new place. Time Warner hasn't strung cable there yet. No matter that they (Time Warner) have a service box 25 feet away in the next subdivision. Direct has MLB so that is my obvious choice. Prices seem to be within a dollar of each other. My basic package would be their 200 channel line up. 2 HD TVs with DVRs and 1 standard def TV.

Do they both require regular (non digital) phone lines?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Current thoughts? It seems I will be facing that decision at my new place. Time Warner hasn't strung cable there yet. No matter that they (Time Warner) have a service box 25 feet away in the next subdivision. Direct has MLB so that is my obvious choice. Prices seem to be within a dollar of each other. My basic package would be their 200 channel line up. 2 HD TVs with DVRs and 1 standard def TV.

Do they both require regular (non digital) phone lines?

Tex, I have DirecTV and love it. More HD, high picture quality and a lot of cool features for special events. For example, during events like the Masters, Wimbledon, etc, they have 4 special channels all in HD. During the Masters, they had one channel that showed all action at Amen Corner, another followed a selected group of the day, the other gave you alternate network coverage and the other showed holes 15 & 16. They do this type of feature for many major events.

If you do choose to go DirecTV, call me before you do. Give them my account number and they will give you $100 in credits (in addition to whatever promo they are offering) and do the same for me. It's a no lose situation for both of us if that is the way you have to go. But you have to have my account number when you call in to place the order.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Imo, now that DirecTv has worked out its dispute with Versus, that's a big plus for them. You have to pay for an extra sports tier to get Vs. on Dish.

I have Dish and don't pay extra for Vs.

Honestly, I had DirecTv for a year and Dish for 6 months. Honestly, I liked Dish's interface on their boxes alot more. Loved their DVR and the channel and picture quality wasn't too far off at all from DirecTV. The bill was pretty consistent.

DirecTV seems like the pro choice, but my beef with them is their sports package to get Comcast SportsNet was 15 bucks extra a month, my bill was never the same month to month(I'm not talking $5 differences here either) and their prices on their boxes which you don't get to keep.

Right now, I have Comcast as that's the only choice for me. I wanted U-Verse, but they charge for HD.