Donny Lucy sent back to AAA

macsandz

It's a disgrace to logic we're even having this thread.

You have to look at the big picture, Castro's a veteran with proven results on the back of his baseball card, he's got a decent-sized contract, Lucy was close to being DFA'ed at different points over the last 2 seasons. He wasn't even a starter for most of his career at Stanford.

Castro, you can make a case that he could get hot and carry a team offensively as a DH for a week or two and also can spell AJ more reliably with his veteran experience and repoire with our staff. Lucy hasn't built up that knowledge-base at the major league level, not even close.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)

You have to look at the big picture, Castro's a veteran with proven results on the back of his baseball card, he's got a decent-sized contract, Lucy was close to being DFA'ed at different points over the last 2 seasons. He wasn't even a starter for most of his career at Stanford.

Castro, you can make a case that he could get hot and carry a team offensively as a DH for a week or two and also can spell AJ more reliably with his veteran experience and repoire with our staff. Lucy hasn't built up that knowledge-base at the major league level, not even close.

True, you could make that case. It wouldn't be a particularly good case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)

What is it with you and the back of the baseball card nonsense lately?

I think what some of us are saying is it's bad to demote a guy actually doing a decent job. Kind of sad.

It's not like there are many guys on our roster who have earned their paychecks yet this season. Most of us agree Lucy earned his, now he goes back to the bush leagues.

If Donny Lucy had proven earlier that he deserved to be in the majors, then there would have been no need to sign Ramon Castro in the first place. The guy has started 5 freaking games out of 25 and he is the next Mike Piazza. I don't know why people around here get so infatuated with backup catchers, especially when you have a guy like AJP playing everyday.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
If Donny Lucy had proven earlier that he deserved to be in the majors, then there would have been no need to sign Ramon Castro in the first place. The guy has started 5 freaking games out of 25 and he is the next Mike Piazza. I don't know why people around here get so infatuated with backup catchers, especially when you have a guy like AJP playing everyday.

Lucy might have a career as a second catcher who hits for crap but calls a good game and plays solid defense. That is about his best case scenario. I don't think anyone who is familiar with his career to this point expects anything more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Lucy might have a career as a second catcher who hits for crap but calls a good game and plays solid defense. That is about his best case scenario. I don't think anyone who is familiar with his career to this point expects anything more.

Unfortunately for him, we are already paying someone else 800k to hit for crap but call a good game and play solid defense.

So, I have followed Donny as an AAP for years, and I'm one of his biggest fans. I'm upset in a way that he's going back down, as I do believe he can be a good backup C. In fact, I'd bet even money that if Lucy can look decent playing every third day behind Flowers in AAA, that he may very well be the backup C next season.

Also, some background for those who don't know - Lucy disappointed with the bat over the years in the minors, while excelling at every other aspect of catching. Despite this, it looked in early 2008 as if he was ready too take on the backup role, but he had a major knee injury. 2008 was over, 2009 was spent recovering and he didn't hit for crap. Now he appears to be back, but he's 28.

That all said, the Sox signed Castro for $1M, and even though I personally think that was wasted money, they aren't going to bench him. Only way he's not the backup now is if he's hurt again.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
It had to be done, as Castro needs to get his shot. Hopefully Lucy continues to have quality bats in the minors.

He'd have to be really sharp when he plays backing up Tyler. Strictly a $ issue as well with Castro, though he's been very good with Buehrle, and I think he'll be very good with Peavy (or Freddy) too.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
I could see Flowers and Lucy together as a catching pair in Chicago next year.

I could.. and then again I couldn't. I think the sox will probably go for a left-handed backup bat (probably more-so a veteran) next season, though I like this method. If Cole Armstrong didn't suck so much, he would be ideal there and is still fairly young. It is a backup position though, so we'll see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)

See Josh Paul or Humberto Quintero.