Williams, Sox May Not Be Done in Market

Chisoxfn

Williams, Sox May Not Be Done in Market

By Jason Gage

July 29, 2003

SoxNet.net

(SN Report #588) - White Sox General Manager Kenny Williams has been one of the most active GM's all season and that doesn't look to be changing. The White Sox did add lefty Scott Schoeneweis to help the bullpen, but the void in the rotation and uncertainty of the 'pen is still a concern, which may lead to another trade or two before the July 31 trade deadline.

One reliever that Williams showed strong interest in was Reds closer Scott Williamson, but he was traded to the Red Sox when it was all said and done. His teammate, thirdbaseman baseman Aaron Boone, was also rumored to be involved in the deal.

With that, rumors have the White Sox looking at San Diego's starter Kevin Jarvis and Pirates' ACE Jeff Suppan, who is in the midst of a career year.

Suppan, 28, is 10-7 with a 3.57 ERA and is coming off a strong performance on Monday against the St. Louis Cardinals, where he threw a complete game shutout. Many teams, most notably the Red Sox and Cardinals, have also expressed interest in Suppan. Suppan was signed to a one year deal worth $500,000 at the beginning of the season.

Jarvis, 33, was sideline for part of the season after undergoing season-ending surgery last year. Thus far, he’s rebounded nicely, going 4-2 with a 3.91 ERA in eight starts. Jarvis, who signed a three-year deal worth $9 million prior to the 2002 season, will make $4.25 million in 2004 with a team option in 2005 for $5.25 million.

Other possible, but unlikely, targets are the Orioles' Sidney Ponson and the Expos' Livan Hernandez and Javier Vazquez.

Vazquez is out there for the right price.

Hernandez and Ponson were in "rumors" to the Sox, therefore putting them in there is as outside targets doesn't mean good chances.

once again though, these are RUMORS, treat them as they are.

Hernandez and Ponson were in "rumors" to the Sox, therefore putting them in there is as outside targets doesn't mean good chances.

once again though, these are RUMORS, treat them as they are.

Vazquez is out there for the right price

And unfortunately we can't afford that price...Who are we gonna give up that the Expos would want?

I guess more or less my point was that content was being created for the sake of being created. I didn't write it, so I'm not going to worry.

Ok

Sox are interested in a starter. Suppan is available and I've heard the Sox are interested. There have been many reports about the Sox being interested in Kevin Jarvis.

And Williams wanted Williamson bad.

These are stuff thats out there. Does anyone know if they are 100% no, cause we aren't Ken Williams, only he for sure knows whats going on cause he's the one on the phones.

it wasn't written for the sake of being written, it was written to show other pitchers who are out there.

everyone mentioned is available and either are or have received interest from the Sox.

"Other possible, but unlikely, targets"

read that over and over again, once you understand what that means, respond.

if you can't, ask me and I'll explain.

thank you

Ok

Sox are interested in a starter.  Suppan is available and I've heard the Sox are interested.  There have been many reports about the Sox being interested in Kevin Jarvis.

These are stuff thats out there.  Does anyone know if they are 100% no, cause we aren't Ken Williams, only he for sure knows whats going on cause he's the one on the phones.

whats wrong with the idea of getting Danny Graves?

Ok

Sox are interested in a starter.  Suppan is available and I've heard the Sox are interested.  There have been many reports about the Sox being interested in Kevin Jarvis.

These are stuff thats out there.  Does anyone know if they are 100% no, cause we aren't Ken Williams, only he for sure knows whats going on cause he's the one on the phones.

I love the idea of getting Graves. Haven't heard anything about Sox getting him though.

I kind of hope that they would. WIth his contract and the play of him as a starter I'd say he'd cost absolutely nothing and he could fill in and become a damn good reliever. I'd love a pen of Gordon, Marte, Wunsch, Sho, Koch, Graves

Ok

Murcie I think that we shouldn't go for Graves unless the reds pay most of his rather large salary.

I'm getting heal heat here.

Interesting.

Allegedly :lol:

Ian...all I'm trying to do is show ya where I was coming from when I wrote this. Am I saying they are guarantees no, but they are possibilities and thats what I wrote them up as.

I'm not JR and I'm not KW so I can't call anything a guarantee. I do stand by what I wrote though and I think the odds are very good that the Sox get one of those guys mentioned there.

They could also go with Danny Graves or Kerry Lightenberg or Brian Lawrence or someone else.

I like to see that the sox might not only have 1 more trade, but 2. With Gordon, Marte, Wunsch, and now Schoeneweis, the sox bullpen is starting to look decent (Decent isn't great don't read too much into this). I would really like to see them pickup Suppan. They don't need Vasquez, his price would be way too high. All they need is someone to keep them in the game for a low asking price. Suppan is that man. Hopefully kw can pick up another effective reliever as well.

I'd like to see one more bullpen arm as well.

My top choices:

Felix Heredia(Reds) 2.73 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 59.1 IP

Justin Speier(Rockies) 2.98 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 51.1 IP

Kerry Ligtenberg(Orioles) 3.13 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 37.1 IP

Al Levine(Devil Rays) 2.76 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 49.0 IP

My top choices:

why not sullivan from the reds

For what it's worth, Gammons did say tonight the Williams thought he was going to get Williamson for the Reds before he was shipped to Boston, so he was definiely working on that possibility. The O's want Crede for Ponson, so that ain't gonna happen.

Right now, I wouldnt even take Ponson or Vazquez. They're the aces of their teams and would take top prospects to get them. I'd be more than happy with someone like Suppan. And I'm even reluctant on that one if we have to give up a guy like Pacheco or Reed. I mean, we're talking about a fifth starter here, no need to deprive the system any further.

Right now, I wouldnt even take Ponson or Vazquez. They're the aces of their teams and would take top prospects to get them. I'd be more than happy with someone like Suppan. And I'm even reluctant on that one if we have to give up a guy like Pacheco or Reed. I mean, we're talking about a fifth starter here, no need to deprive the system any further.

for vasquez, i would like to know what the price is.

My top choices:

Felix Heredia! Hell no! If he cant even pitch good against the Mets, how the hell do you expect him to pitch against the AL! Besides, he's a former Cub.

Ok

His contact his huge and he's overrated.

My top choices:

Felix Heredia! Hell no! If he cant even pitch good against the Mets, how the hell do you expect him to pitch against the AL! Besides, he's a former Cub.

He's been pretty good the last two years, and we go lucky with Flash, why not with Felix.