Draft Preview: High School Hitters, Part 1

Ozzie Ball

With the MLB Rule 4 Draft just over a month away it seems as good a time as any to start releasing some draft previews. I'll be profiling 100 players over the next month; 25 high school pitchers, 25 high school hitters, 25 college pitchers and 25 college hitters. Each block of 25 players will be broken down into two parts, with the players listed in alphabetical order. We start here with part 1 of the high school hitters.

Zach Alvord, SS, South Forsyth HS (GA)

Zach Alvord is a strong and athletic, offensive minded middle infielder. He has good pop in his bat and very good bat speed. He projects as an above average hitter for power and average, with the possibility of plus power. Defensively he doesn't have great range and will probably not be able to stick at SS, so 2B may be his long term position. Alvord's arm should play fine anywhere in the middle infield. Alvord is a below average runner and not a threat to steal on the bases. He has good offensive upside, but his defense leaves something to be desired. A team that really believes in Alvord's bat could take him as early as the late first round.

Projected draft position: Mid 2nd - Early 4th Round.

Tyler Austin, C, Heritage HS (GA)

Kris Bryant, 3B, Bonanza HS (NV)

Yordy Cabrera, SS, Lakeland HS (FL)

Nick Castellanos, 3B, Archbishop McCarthy HS (FL)

Garin Cecchini, SS, Barbe HS (LA)

Chevez Clarke, OF, Marietta HS (GA)

Kaleb Cowart, 3B/RHP, Cook County HS (GA)

Reggie Golden, OF, Wetumpka HS (AL)

Jake Hernandez, C, Los Osos HS (CA)

Jacoby Jones, SS, Richton HS (MS)

Jacoby Jones is a very good all-round prospect with the potential to hit for both plus power and plus average, although his power his currently more above average than plus. He's a plus runner who should prove a more than capable base stealer. Defensively he has good range, but perhaps not quite enough for him to stick at SS, and his arm may not be good enough for SS either, but he has good hands and a chance to play SS long term. Jones' bat and speed give him great offensive potential and the fact that he's also a middle infielder makes it all the more impressive. One of my favorite prospects in the draft, I think he's a little underrated amongst the blogging circles. He's committed to LSU with Scott Boras as his adviser.

Projected draft position: 2nd - 4th Round.

Jared Lakind, 1B, Cy-Woods HS (TX)

Continued...

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 3, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
This will make some of you happy. MyMLBDraft.com is a pretty informed site when it comes to the draft, and they currently have the White Sox taking Austin Wilson with the #13 pick.

I love Austin Wilson, check out his tool grades from baseball beginnings' updated scouting report:

GRADES (Present/Future):

Hit 20/60

Power 30/80

Run 60/60

Arm 70/70

Field 40/60

Overall Future Potential: 66

Yep, that'll work.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 3, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
I love Austin Wilson, check out his tool grades from baseball beginnings' updated scouting report:

GRADES (Present/Future):

Hit 20/60

Power 30/80

Run 60/60

Arm 70/70

Field 40/60

Overall Future Potential: 66

Yep, that'll work.

It's been posted on here before. It deserves to be posted again.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
This will make some of you happy. MyMLBDraft.com is a pretty informed site when it comes to the draft, and they currently have the White Sox taking Austin Wilson with the #13 pick.

I can't see Ranaudo slipping out of the top 5. And to 9? i'm sure the Padres would be shocked and thrilled. Also, don't see Harvey, Brentz or Paxton going nearly that high.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I can't see Ranaudo slipping out of the top 5. And to 9? i'm sure the Padres would be shocked and thrilled. Also, don't see Harvey, Brentz or Paxton going nearly that high.

With Ranaudo's injury I wouldn't shocked to see him fall, but 9/10 is probably his floor. He's certainly not the slam dunk top 5 pick like he was pre-season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
I'd be all over Austin Wilson. I'm 100% about tools/projection/upside. If I ever hear the words "safe" and/or "polished" in the same sentence as a White Sox draft pick ever again I will commit suicide by gargling broken glass.

But Kyle McCulloch finally reached AAA!

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
With Ranaudo's injury I wouldn't shocked to see him fall, but 9/10 is probably his floor. He's certainly not the slam dunk top 5 pick like he was pre-season.

This is absolutely true. Ranaudo's stock has dropped significantly. I think he could slip to mid first round easily. Cole is in a similar boat, though for different reasons. I would be stoked if either player was around at 13.

I like Austin Wilson, his only real concern with the bat is pitch recognition. Michael Choice is another player I really like. Position player picks are sexier and more entertaining, but I really think we take a pitcher. I have this feeling we are going to end up with either Jesse Hahn or Alex Wimmers. Not the biggest Wimmers fan though.

Andy Seiler's site joined SBnation recently, and is easily the best free draft resource out there. I've plugged it here before, but it really is insightful and loaded with information.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/

He recently posted his 5th mock draft of the year. Not sure when the 6th is due, but he updates frequently as player's stock change and information about which way a team is leaning leaks.

Mock Draft #5

Mock Draft #4

Mock Draft #3

Mock Draft #2

Mock Draft #1

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
May I ask how exactly Ranaudo's stock has slipped? Not disputing this. I haven't followed too much college baseball this year. Drop in velocity/stuff? Performance? The latter wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the former would.

It has suffered due to a combination of his performance and an injury. I could see him being available at #13.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)

Harvey has pitched tremendously this year. His stock is way up right now. I think he is a legitimate mid to late first rounder. It's hard to get a read on Brentz. There are injury and makeup concerns, and the fact that he isn't playing the greatest competition doesn't help his stock. Though in a class that is rather weak in college bats, I could him going somewhat early to a team that needs a hitter and wants a signable pick. He should go for slot. I would be surprised if he goes any higher than the 10 spot though. I do agree that Paxton is too high on that site. I think he goes supplemental.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 3, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
It has suffered due to a combination of his performance and an injury. I could see him being available at #13.

Any signability concerns (i.e. will we stop being cheap and actually spend some money on the draft)? Because I'd jump at the chance to take him at #13.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Any signability concerns (i.e. will we stop being cheap and actually spend some money on the draft)? Because I'd jump at the chance to take him at #13.

If he really is injured then i imagine signability won't be a huge issue.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 4, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)
If he really is injured then i imagine signability won't be a huge issue.

He's not injured now, but may want to return to LSU for his senior year to prove he's a top 5 pick talent. Although it would be a little foolish to voluntarily put yourself up against that 2011 pitching class.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 4, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
Harvey has pitched tremendously this year. His stock is way up right now. I think he is a legitimate mid to late first rounder. It's hard to get a read on Brentz. There are injury and makeup concerns, and the fact that he isn't playing the greatest competition doesn't help his stock. Though in a class that is rather weak in college bats, I could him going somewhat early to a team that needs a hitter and wants a signable pick. He should go for slot. I would be surprised if he goes any higher than the 10 spot though. I do agree that Paxton is too high on that site. I think he goes supplemental.

Paxton has a first round arm, but like you say, is probably a supplemental 1st pick due to the issues he's had this year. That said, if he has a couple of good starts in the independent league he could shoot right up draft boards.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
He's not injured now, but may want to return to LSU for his senior year to prove he's a top 5 pick talent. Although it would be a little foolish to voluntarily put yourself up against that 2011 pitching class.

Agreed. It will be in his best interest to sign this year. I don't think he has that much leverage, especially as you mentioned with the crazy good pitching in the 2011 class.

The last 2 drafts I loved the Wsox 1st round choice and than later in draft getting guys like Danks/Thompson. It's every other round they need to improve upon, despite Morel's success from all accounts he was a super overdraft at the time and I personally hated the Phegley pick since an unproven bat to go along with questionability if he can play the position longterm. Hopefully they continue their success this year and we dont get any Broadway/McCulloch like that last mock draft has them taking.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
The last 2 drafts I loved the Wsox 1st round choice and than later in draft getting guys like Danks/Thompson. It's every other round they need to improve upon, despite Morel's success from all accounts he was a super overdraft at the time and I personally hated the Phegley pick since an unproven bat to go along with questionability if he can play the position longterm. Hopefully they continue their success this year and we dont get any Broadway/McCulloch like that last mock draft has them taking.

I absolutely hated the Phegley pick. How nice would Scheppers look in our system right about now?

Here's hoping we spend some money on the draft this year.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 3, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
I absolutely hated the Phegley pick. How nice would Scheppers look in our system right about now?

Here's hoping we spend some money on the draft this year.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...5&start=375

Post #379