A Royals Acquisition that May Make Sense

chisoxt

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't be giving up on this kid already... There is either something wrong with him, or this is a ploy of some sort. And on a side note, how does KC not get more trashing for their player development? Year after year we hear about all of this talent in their system, and no one really ever lives up to it. Greinke and Soria are the only ones really. Especially their position players just seem to fall apart.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
They can't be giving up on this kid already... There is either something wrong with him, or this is a ploy of some sort. And on a side note, how does KC not get more trashing for their player development? Year after year we hear about all of this talent in their system, and no one really ever lives up to it. Greinke and Soria are the only ones really. Especially their position players just seem to fall apart.

And Greinke very nearly fell apart mentally too, luckily was able to turn it around in his head.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Much of Gordon's problem has been staying healthy. It has been noted by some that Herm has a pretty good reputation of limiting time loss to the disabled list. Granted, there are many things outside of a trainer's control, but it is worth mentioning.

If a guy is injury prone then that's what he is. I don't subscribe to any theory that a trainer can somehow limit player injuries.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Not when he's hitting .211 and trading him would mean Mr. Gonzalez would be wearing a White Sox jersey.

Yes, giving up on your 23-year old 1st rounder just over 100 PA's into his second season because he's hitting .211 makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)

Part of the reason, I think it has been speculated, is that their AA and AAA affiliates have been bandboxes over the last several years. Wichita was a famously hitter-friendly park, and it was inflating statistics and guys were getting hyped up beyond what their abilities were.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
Moore would ask for Gordon Beckham and work down from there.

Sometimes we really overvalue our own players and undervalue others.

Beckham will most likely never be as good as A-Gon, but there is value in his team controlled years. Also, if Ryan Howard's getting 25 mil per year, A-Gon's worth 30. There's no way we'd be able to keep him long term.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
Yes, giving up on your 23-year old 1st rounder just over 100 PA's into his second season because he's hitting .211 makes perfect sense.

For Adrian Gonzalez? If he signs a long term deal with the White Sox? Yeah it does. Glad you agree with me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
So maybe we should move out of BIRM, haha?

Actually, if you had AA "padded" stats for players like Allen or Viciedo, Morel or Danks, that were like Albuquerque or Charlotte...well, scouts know to adjust for park factors and not just read stats on the net.

Well, it can work both ways. You would think Birmingham would have the same affect on our pitchers as Wichita, North Arkansas, and Omaha might have had on the Royals' hitters.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
For Adrian Gonzalez? If he signs a long term deal with the White Sox? Yeah it does. Glad you agree with me.

The idea of Jayson Nix becoming the everyday 2B does not appeal to me. Nor does the idea of committing 25+ million to one player on a team with as many holes as the White Sox.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
The idea of Jayson Nix becoming the everyday 2B does not appeal to me. Nor does the idea of committing 25+ million to one player on a team with as many holes as the White Sox.

And one with supposed budget constraints. Handing A-Gon an extension does little good if you can't fill those othe holes, and, for that matter, lock up your own guys like Johnny Danks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)

Eh.. maybe other moves would be made to fill the hole at second base and in other spots. I'm sure they would.

Who would you guys take at this point, Brandon Wood or Alex Gordon?

Or stay with Teahen? Assuming we could find a large market team to take his contract off our hands...he would be like the Xavier Nady of the Yankees minus the eye-popping offensive numbers. Then again, that jetstream to RCF, maybe he'd put up 18-24 homers in a season batting 9th?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Y'all can say the Royals have screwed around with Gordon all you want, He's had nearly 1400 major league PA's and hasn't shown me flashes of being a top level talent. He looks like a fringe major leaguer.

You may be right, but when you can't develop your own prospects and you're tapped out from the standpoint of team paroll, you have to try something. Maybe getting failed prospects is one approach.

The Phils gave up on Gavin Floyd and that turned out fairly well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Y'all can say the Royals have screwed around with Gordon all you want, He's had nearly 1400 major league PA's and hasn't shown me flashes of being a top level talent. He looks like a fringe major leaguer.

Well, I'm just glad your not a scout/good evaluator of talent. I'll leave it at that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Who would you guys take at this point, Brandon Wood or Alex Gordon?

Or stay with Teahen? Assuming we could find a large market team to take his contract off our hands...he would be like the Xavier Nady of the Yankees minus the eye-popping offensive numbers. Then again, that jetstream to RCF, maybe he'd put up 18-24 homers in a season batting 9th?

gordon. wood i think is a bust

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Eh.. maybe other moves would be made to fill the hole at second base and in other spots. I'm sure they would.

Two examples, why putting all the eggs in one basket doesn't make sense

1) Pre-season 2005 asset allocation (or re-allocation)....Ordonez, C-Lee and Valentin out

2) Tearing apart the 2005/06/07 rotation when it became too expensive.....Garcia, Garland and Vazquez, at one point the starters (along w/ Buehrle, Contreras) were making $55 million combined for just five roster spots, obviously too overloaded in one area...look at the results in 2007. A cheap Bobby Jenks made it possible then, but no more...as well as Dotel/Liney.

There's just no way with uncertain revenue projectability (.500 clubs mean diminishing attendance) that the White Sox could ever again afford the contract numbers being speculated here for A-Gone.

Certainly not with Peavy and Rios on the roster to pay.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)

So you're just going to assume we'd somehow be able to fill the gaping hole at 2B that trading GB would create just because, um, because you're sure they would?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 3, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)

You're kidding, right? He's shown plenty of "flashes." That's not the problem. It's overall consistency and staying healthy. Take a good look at the talent in the White Sox organization. You're telling me we shouldn't jump at the chance to get this guy were he to become available?