Paul Konerko's contract

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 4, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
in the class of potential free agent 1B for next season, where does Paulie rank?

First Basemen

This is probably the biggest collection of big names with Albert Pujols, Lance Berkman, Derrek Lee and Carlos Pena.

Lance Berkman HOU *

Wes Helms FLA

Jason Giambi COL

Ross Gload FLA

Paul Konerko CWS

Derrek Lee CHC

David Ortiz BOS *

Lyle Overbay TOR

Carlos Pena TB

Albert Pujols STL *

Garrett Atkins COL

Read more at Suite101: 2011 MLB Free Agents: Baseball Players With Expiring Contracts After 2010 Season http://major-league-baseball.suite101.com/...s#ixzz0mzx1DNwi

So he's actually in pretty good shape. Along with Berkman and Lee, maybe he's perceived as "tier 2-B" with those two at 2A and Carlos Pena (crazy that any team in baseball could have had him and super-happy he's not doing those things in a Tigres uniform) as the most sought after 1B.

Boston really is in a PR hole with David Ortiz...in terms of biting the bullet and releasing him (talk about upsetting the fanbase, he's more beloved by Red Sox fans than the relationship between a city and a team outside of Albert Pujols) or hoping for him to get one more hot streak from that bat. Fans have quickly turned against Epstein, much moreso than we have in Chicago against KW, and he gave them TWO WS rings.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the deal was a good value for the Sox, the offensive numbers have been basically consistent, a drop after the first two years, but still solid... also as pointed out his D is good by eyes and I believe in other threads people have posted stats to support. Yeah, he has zero range, but he picks basically every ball in the dirt and he has a good throwing arm. Those who watch other 1b know how bad some can be with the balls in the dirt, PK rarely lets one of those get by him.

Also, the Sox were a consistent top 10 payroll team throughout that contract, so they have a little more leeway than other teams to go the little extra money or years.

All things considered it was a good deal IMO

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 4, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Aside from winning the World Series, that and Podsednik's homer are 1a and 1b. Blum's homer didn't actually win it within the moment, and I was on such a roller coaster of emotion (especially after Konerko had just GIDP'd) that I couldn't appreciate Blum's homer to the fullest.

The Blum homer is way up on the list, I know it didn't end the game, but the length of the game and the fact that I absolutely expected a terrible AB, it was such a shock that it will always stick with me. I can easily remember where I was for every WS game, the reaction of those around me for every big play

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
IIRC most posters here felt Paulie offered the team a "home town discount".

'tis true. I personally didn't want him back only because I thought he was too slow, we started hearing about his hip condition, and in 2005, he didn't have a great year, save for the playoffs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Boston really is in a PR hole with David Ortiz...in terms of biting the bullet and releasing him (talk about upsetting the fanbase, he's more beloved by Red Sox fans than the relationship between a city and a team outside of Albert Pujols) or hoping for him to get one more hot streak from that bat. Fans have quickly turned against Epstein, much moreso than we have in Chicago against KW, and he gave them TWO WS rings.

Is that really true? Boston fans are fairly intelligent as far as baseball fans go...they have to realize how terrible he's been...they really would be upset if the team let Ortiz walk?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 4, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Is that really true? Boston fans are fairly intelligent as far as baseball fans go...they have to realize how terrible he's been...they really would be upset if the team let Ortiz walk?

Everybody's calling for his head, that's what I thought.

And I don't think Boston fans are all that smart, although considering how much of a fanbase they have, it's not as bad as Cubs fans.

I wanna ask qwerty or kalapse (or whomever) this. Say we keep Konerko for the season, what numbers would he have to put up to be a Type A or Type B or what numbers would he have to put up to not qualify for it? (assuming barring a melt down he's got it) Only reason I ask this, is I don't think the return for him (if he's traded, and hypothetically speaking, he would be agreeing on the deal cause of the 10/5 rights) would be as good at all, and I personally don't think it's very smart to resign a soon to be 35 year old 1B to an extension but thats just me.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
Yeah...caulfield isn't right.

He just had a two-homer game the other night, so "what have you done for me lately" I guess.

Of all those guys like Pedro, Manny Ramirez, etc., I think Ortiz was (and still is to an extent) arguably the most popular...although some would counter-argue Schilling.

I don''t think the Red Sox are the point where they unconditionally designate him for assignment and waste all those contract dollars, but who would possibly trade for him? Maybe some team would give the Red Sox $1-3 million (like the Pierre trade, where the Dodgers ate 70% of the deal), but they're not going to give up any kind of legit player or especially a prospect. Mike Lowell's also another interesting case for the FO.

HECK, maybe KW will take on Ortiz, with how the offseason went, it would be the perfect culmination to all of his moves...to replace Kotsay.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
I wanna ask qwerty or kalapse (or whomever) this. Say we keep Konerko for the season, what numbers would he have to put up to be a Type A or Type B or what numbers would he have to put up to not qualify for it? (assuming barring a melt down he's got it) Only reason I ask this, is I don't think the return for him (if he's traded, and hypothetically speaking, he would be agreeing on the deal cause of the 10/5 rights) would be as good at all, and I personally don't think it's very smart to resign a soon to be 35 year old 1B to an extension but thats just me.

I don't think it matters, because I can't see us offering arbitration and risking another large contract, unless it looks like he is going to make an assload this offseason, which I don't see happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I don't think it matters, because I can't see us offering arbitration and risking another large contract, unless it looks like he is going to make an assload this offseason, which I don't see happening.

Really, if Konerko puts up 35 HR this season, you couldn't see the Sox risking him accepting a 1 year, $12 million deal?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
Really, if Konerko puts up 35 HR this season, you couldn't see the Sox risking him accepting a 1 year, $12 million deal?

We have no idea what Konerko would ask for. He could ask for $15 million or more in an arbitration hearing. All he has to do is make the case that his season was fractionally under what a first baseman like Mark Texeira to get it.

I'm hoping that Paulie looks at what happened to Dye, who still put up pretty damn good numbers last season and hasn't found a job yet because his demands are too high.

Unless a team like I dunno Washington comes out and offers him a multiyear deal, I think he should take it year to year from here on out, because he can still definitely make some pretty decent money, especially when he's hitting like he is ATM.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I'm hoping that Paulie looks at what happened to Dye, who still put up pretty damn good numbers last season and hasn't found a job yet because his demands are too high.

Unless a team like I dunno Washington comes out and offers him a multiyear deal, I think he should take it year to year from here on out, because he can still definitely make some pretty decent money, especially when he's hitting like he is ATM.

Post All-Star Break .179/.293/.297 does not equal pretty damn good numbers

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 6, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Post All-Star Break .179/.293/.297 does not equal pretty damn good numbers

True, but he still hit 27 HR's and his plate discipline was the best it's been for a couple of seasons at least. Overall, he still had a pretty good season for his age (although his defense declined which wasn't a suprise).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 5, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
True, but he still hit 27 HR's and his plate discipline was the best it's been for a couple of seasons at least. Overall, he still had a pretty good season for his age (although his defense declined which wasn't a suprise).

If he didn't fall apart completely though, I don't think his demands would be considered as high and he probably would be signed already. If Paulie can stay consistent all season, he should definitely have a much easier job finding a job next year and a much higher contract than JD is looking for. Of course, Paulies ability to play defense helps as well.

I find this kind of debate somewhat perplexing. We get something started to slash and trash a team leader and look at his trade value, etc, and once again we get into this issue of failing to appreciate the true value of someone. Paul Konerko is not a problem but is an assett and we should be loking at keeping him.

Let's trade Pierre, Teahen, Kotsay and Vizquel for Carlos Zambrano or David Ortiz.

Haha. I love those post-game callers (Cubs fans are more famous for this) who think you can package 5 pieces of crap (like Fields, BA and Getz) and get back an All-Star caliber player.

Konerko's, FWIW, not the problem....but is he part of the solution going forward? That's the big question. And at what price does it stop making sense?

If not Konerko, it has to be Flowers or Viciedo in that spot (if we're looking at internal solutions). We'll be #26-30 in attendance if we use Josh Kroeger.

Personally, I think the odds of AJ sticking around past this year are pretty remote. We have to stick it out with developing Tyler at catcher for as long as possible because of the offensive OPS advantage he'll give us over everyone but Mauer in our division.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
I find this kind of debate somewhat perplexing. We get something started to slash and trash a team leader and look at his trade value, etc, and once again we get into this issue of failing to appreciate the true value of someone. Paul Konerko is not a problem but is an assett and we should be loking at keeping him.

I think it's totally fine to debate whether Paul Konerko's performance was at, above or below market value, and I think I could make a case for any. Certainly it wouldn't be much above or below market value. I also think you can assess his value without trashing him, but apparently you don't think this is possible.

But seriously, why on earth would we keep Paul Konerko after this season? His likely performance is fairly easy to approximate for a lot cheaper going forward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
From who?

How many of the 18 names ahead of Konerko are making $12 million a year?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/yea.../OPS/order/true

I know all aren't available but that list would seem to indicate .840 OPS first basemen are sort of a dime a dozen, no?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
Let's trade Pierre, Teahen, Kotsay and Vizquel for Carlos Zambrano or David Ortiz.

Haha. I love those post-game callers (Cubs fans are more famous for this) who think you can package 5 pieces of crap (like Fields, BA and Getz) and get back an All-Star caliber player.

Konerko's, FWIW, not the problem....but is he part of the solution going forward? That's the big question. And at what price does it stop making sense?

If not Konerko, it has to be Flowers or Viciedo in that spot (if we're looking at internal solutions). We'll be #26-30 in attendance if we use Josh Kroeger.

Personally, I think the odds of AJ sticking around past this year are pretty remote. We have to stick it out with developing Tyler at catcher for as long as possible because of the offensive OPS advantage he'll give us over everyone but Mauer in our division.

I'm not so sold on Flowers, his bat looked really slow to me last year, but I could be wrong. Let's hope he can live up to expectations as I'd like to see AJ go at the end of the year as well- it's just time I think to go younger at that position.

I don't see any prospects for us at 1B outside of Viciedo, and who believes he'll be ready next year?