White Sox Winner!

caulfield12

Rios and Andruw Jones continuing to carry the offense, along with Paulie Konerko.

Great outing by Garcia, who has clearly been our #2 starter for the first five weeks of the season, keeping us afloat so we can wait, lurking in the weeds for an inevitable Minnesota slump.

Pierre even had two hits and now with 15 SB's, as we continue to be leading the majors or close to it in that category. Teahen also had a couple of safeties.

Still worried about Beckham, Ramirez, AJ and TCQ...Beckham and TCQ remain the biggest wild cards for our offense becoming at least an "average" one, along with Alexei Ramirez getting back to being at least a 725+ OPS shortstop. He's still mired in the high 500's.

We've now won two series (over M's and Royals, split with the dreaded Jays 2-2). YAY!

If we hadn't played the CLE Indians this season, we'd be a robust .500, haha, and only 5 GB.

Edited by caulfield12

Nice to see Pierre starting to get it going, and igniting the offense. It's amazing how much easier we can score when he gets on and makes things happen on the base-paths. Rios also getting it done, looking like the player we've been hoping for with the solid at bats he's been having all year. Now lets keep it going against the Jays!

:bringit

Overall a pretty good hitting series...for us.

.275 team batting average (27-98)

Pierre: 5-12 5 SB, BB, K, 5 RUNS

Gordo: 1-7, SB 6BB, K, 2 RUNS

Andrew: 3-12, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 RUNS, 2K, BB

Paulie: 1-11, 1 RUN, DOUBLE, 2 K, 2BB, RBI

Rios: 6-11, HR, 5 RBI, 3 DOUBLES, 2 RUNS, 0 K

AJ: 3-10, HR, RBI, 2RUNS, 2 BB, 0 K

Teahen: 4-12, RBI, DOUBLE, 5 K

Alexei: 2-11, HR, RBI, 2 RUNS, 2 K, BB

Carlos: 2-8, RBI, K

Kotsay: 0-4

We outscored them 16-10...won a series. I think we're on the right track.

pierre was a big factor in that series. when he's going well, good things can happen. we'll never be amazing, and he'll never be a destructive leadoff force, but the reason you have someone like him on the team is because his realized potential has value like this. im drunk. happy cinco de mayo! i mean feliz...

The Sox (12-16) won only their second series of the season, but they have shown small signs of breaking out of their malaise.

Good line in Mark Gonzales' game story tonight.

Cowley or somebody had a tweet saying the way the Sox played tonight you wonder why they can't play like that more often.

We've seen efficient victories like this before, can we put something together?

The big positive is we won a series, like many have pointed out. That's always a positive.

Garfiend said the reason for Sox slow starts was because too many guys with a lot to prove started pressing at the same time when hits didn't come early.

Pierre, Teahen new team

Quentin Injury

Beckham - the real deal

Alexei - slow starter

AJ contract

Take it FWIW

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
Call me crazy, but I think this team is just one big bat away from being able to do some serious damage. Whether or not that is going to be enough to catch the twins is another matter, though.

I would tend to agree; I don't even think a big bat is necessarily in order...but until the SP starts carrying it's weight it's a moot point.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 6, 2010 -> 06:22 AM)
I didn't get to turn the game on until the Sox were already winning 5-0. From what I saw, though, Freddy looked good, Rios continues to impress, and Pierre seems to be coming around.

I have to disagree about the Freddy looking good part. I don't know how he does it but he's somehow winning games while not looking very good doing so.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
I have to disagree about the Freddy looking good part. I don't know how he does it but he's somehow winning games while not looking very good doing so.

Really that has been Freddy's MO since he has been with the Sox. He would have an occassional dazzling start, but a lot of them he would struggle through and at the end we would all say "how the hell did he win that game?"

It is just more pronounced now because his stuff is a shadow of what it used to be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 6, 2010 -> 07:22 AM)
Really that has been Freddy's MO since he has been with the Sox. He would have an occassional dazzling start, but a lot of them he would struggle through and at the end we would all say "how the hell did he win that game?"

It is just more pronounced now because his stuff is a shadow of what it used to be.

That must be it then.

Okay, so Freddy looked passable? I believe that he's doing a fine job as the 5th starter. Sure, he struggles and sweats, but he only gave up 2 runs (a lot of hits, though) and gave the Sox a chance to win the game.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 6, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Okay, so Freddy looked passable? I believe that he's doing a fine job as the 5th starter. Sure, he struggles and sweats, but he only gave up 2 runs (a lot of hits, though) and gave the Sox a chance to win the game.

:lol:

I think people need to remember that Freddy is the 5th starter now, not the 2 or 3 (I realize Gavin, MB and Peavy havent made that obvious yet). That is kind of how 5 starters are supposed to look. If Freddy pitches like he did today he will often give up more than just 2 runs. But over the course of the season he will continue to have results such as today and better as well, and at least in my opinion, that makes him one of the best 5th starters in the league. Expectations need to be tempered with him. The bar is set a lot lower for a good outing from Freddy than it is with our other 4 pitchers.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 6, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)

As a 5th starter...if 2 out of every 3 starts you give are quality starts...yeah, that's fine.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 6, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)

It's called being a crafty veteran. He may not make us feel comfortable during the start, but he knows how to get outs.

What may be a really good sign looking back at this series is the fact that Peavy looked so dominant against a team that pounded 28 in the two games after his start...so no one can use the ole "well it was the Royals" cliche'.

Edited by jeffro2525

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
What may be a really good sign looking back at this series is the fact that Peavy looked so dominant against a team that pounded 28 in the two games after his start...so no one can use the ole "well it was the Royals" cliche'.

but it was the royals

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 6, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
I would tend to agree; I don't even think a big bat is necessarily in order...but until the SP starts carrying it's weight it's a moot point.

i think so too. add a big bat and i might get excited again