Former NFL Star Lawrence Taylor Arrested

Police have arrested former NFL star Lawrence Taylor in a rape investigation in New York, authorities said.

The Town of Ramapo Police Department said in a statement that Taylor has been arrested as part of an investigation into a reported rape that occurred Thursday in Montebello, New York.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as we get it.

via CNN

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
I'd seriously make chicks sign Letters of Consent with an attorney present if I were a celebrity/well-known person before I banged them. Another money grab.

The girl was 15. How much you think she's after? $200?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
I'd seriously make chicks sign Letters of Consent with an attorney present if I were a celebrity/well-known person before I banged them. Another money grab.

There are so little facts out about this case, how could you possibly say that? You know some professional athletes are grade-A assholes and actually have abused and raped women? Are there money grabs? I'm sure there are, but there are also many sexual assaults that occur and charges aren't pressed because these crimes can be difficult to prove in a criminal court.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
There are so little facts out about this case, how could you possibly say that? You know some professional athletes are grade-A assholes and actually have abused and raped women? Are there money grabs? I'm sure there are, but there are also many sexual assaults that occur and charges aren't pressed because these crimes can be difficult to prove in a criminal court.

Exactly. And if it's true that she's 15, well that just takes it down another level. It's ridiculous to automatically assume it's a "money grab" right off of the bat.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 6, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
The girl was 15. How much you think she's after? $200?

Well, then that's sick and he should be put away for life.

EDIT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ar-old-runaway/

It was a prostitute. Looks like LT lost a game of roulette.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
Plus, if he's arrested and charged in a criminal case, that means that the DA/Grand Jury believes that a crime happened.

They always believe the crime happened.

I dont know the statistics and im sure not the rate but id guess most cases that go to a grand jury result in an indictment.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
They always believe the crime happened.

I dont know the statistics and im sure not the rate but id guess most cases that go to a grand jury result in an indictment.

I was on a Cook County Grand Jury. In the entire month, we only rejected one case, and barely that one.

LT will probably get off with just being busted with patronizing a prostitute if he can prove she told him she was 19. The pimp is going to be the one that is going to have the whammy come down.

NY, like all states I know of, have a strict liability standard for this type of crime, there is no intent to prove, it's simply was she under 17 and was he over 21, that's it. Some of the issues raised may be relevant at sentencing or a possible plea, however LT doesn't have a stellar track record and DAs are elected and if the facts aren't overly favorable to LT, the public may not be too pleased if he gets a sweetheart deal on a rape case.

http://www.examiner.com/x-46000-Long-Islan...utory-rape-case

Edited by SoxFan562004

Soxfan,

Well see if she testifies, that would be his only real chance. Outside of jury nullification where they just dont enforce the law.

Statutory crimes are bogus (imo) as they get rid one of the most important parts of criminal prosecution, which is mens rea. I just dont believe that some one should be guilty even if they had no idea they were committing a crime, had no intention of committing a crime, and took reasonable steps to ensure that they were not committing a crime.

IE If some one says they are over the age of consent and you have no proof otherwise, that should be sufficient.