5/6 Games

flavum

If nothing else, something like that should get him a mention on the Prospect Hot Sheet at BA finally.

Maybe he can be like DeLosSantos and emerge from relative obscurity into a top 4-6 prospect in the system. Colligan, I'm really like what he has shown so far as well...

Nathan Jones with a "solid" start for W-S, and it's amazing the dichotomy when you look at their box scores and compare with the parent club....4-6 guys every night in the line-up with .300+ BA. Some of the "worst" hitters are at .268 and .270 (Escobar). I love you Ozzie Lewis. Kidding, just like that name for some reason.

Santiago with BS, Remenowsy with a sharp relief appearance.

Has anyone seen Nathan Jones' MPH/radar gun numbers as a starter, and how long he's been able to sustain at that velocity? (No, not expecting Verlander or Colon in his "prime" numbers, just curious).

I still like Short the most of any position player on that team, although legit arguments can be made for others.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
I still like Short the most of any position player on that team, although legit arguments can be made for others.

IMO, Gilmore is definitely the most talented player on that team.

But does Gilmore have enough power to play corner infield or OF? Just looked it up, he really has ZERO homers still so far, at 1B/3B???

Seems more like a Ross Gload/Ryan Sweeney/Lyle Overbay type of bat so far...what are his "upside" projected power numbers later on down the line?

Disappointing White Sox Prospects of 2009

South Side Sox — ... : This Jon has been a whole lot of projection without a whole lot of substance. A piece in the Vazquez trade, scouts gush about his athleticism. The evolution to a baseball player, however, hasn't happened. He did have a very encouraging finish to the season in August and September and a recent scouting report still raves about the potential. But .274/.322/.361 overall in Kannapolis isn't much about which to write home. At 21 - and probably returning to low A for part of a third season - he'll need to produce next season to ... Got that part wrong.

Sox Machine — ... made solid contact with two strikes. His bat speed is elite, but his mechanics are messy. He should adapt his two strike approach to be his every pitch approach which would not only shorten his swing, but help take advantage of his tremendous bat speed. At third base, he was iffy at best. His arm was solid average, but he didn’t move well laterally and his hands were just so so (sounds like Teahen/Fields). With his size, I’m not sure he’s a great fit in left field or at first base either. He also broke down what’s left of Jon Gilmore’s game . *Larry picks ...

Edited by caulfield12

I'm really not a big fan of looking at a guy's stats as a determinant of potential, until after he reaches AA.

As far as scouting goes, I'll defer to the Braves' scouting staff. They drafted him in the first round. They don't miss on too many low round picks.

Regarding power... he's young... got good size... a projectable build... and great bat speed. I'd be willing to bet that the power will come.

He's making much better contact so far this year. If he's able to keep it up (fingers crossed), I think we'll see the power numbers start rising.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
How do you see Shelby III's prospects at this point?

I know he has always been one of your favorites...

I like his tools especially his combo of speed and power.

Worried about his swing and plate discipline.

He's too inconsistent...

And at 25 in AA... the clock is ticking.

If he doesn't have a good year offensively in 2010...

That will be bad... for him.

Dayan Viciedo is a legit prospect. He is proving he can manhandle AAA pitching; think it's good he can sustain it in stretches too. 2 walks is pretty ridiculous, but maybe Cubans just believe hitting is the only way to get on. :huh

And he's young as all hell. What if he keeps this up for another month or two; how long can we really hold him down there? Is September the absolute earliest?

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
IMO, Gilmore is definitely the most talented player on that team.

Completely agree. Has the most upside for a position player by far on that team as of right now. (though I'll say Nate Jones has the highest as far as every player there, though I'm biased since he's one of my boys. :D)

Other scores here for the lazies.

Knights.

Barons.

Kanny.

Interesting players with great nights.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 6, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Shelby's K to BB ratio is like 22 to 5 and he's 25 in AA. No, he is not a prospect IMO.

No doubt. All the momentum he built up after an excellent '08 is all but gone.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 6, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
Dayan Viciedo is a legit prospect. He is proving he can manhandle AAA pitching; think it's good he can sustain it in stretches too. 2 walks is pretty ridiculous, but maybe Cubans just believe hitting is the only way to get on. :huh

And he's young as all hell. What if he keeps this up for another month or two; how long can we really hold him down there? Is September the absolute earliest?

Viciedo better not sniff Chicago. He needs to be in AAA all year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Maybe he can be like DeLosSantos and emerge from relative obscurity into a top 4-6 prospect in the system. Colligan, I'm really like what he has shown so far as well...

Short has been in the organization since 2008 so he's a different case than DLS. DLS made his pro debut straight in Kanny and did well there.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Eduardo Escobar is 8 for 18 over his last 4 games.

He sure is a streaky hitter. I'm liking the improvement so far. A guy like him only needs to put up a .700 OPS to be useful.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Its not just a function of hitting. He still has 24 K against 2 BB, and he needs to improve his plate discipline.

I should note though, in his last 10 games, he has only 4 K's in 37 AB, for a 10.8% rate, which is fine. Much better than the 31.7% he was at before then.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Its not just a function of hitting. He still has 24 K against 2 BB, and he needs to improve his plate discipline.

And having video of himself flailing at balls 6 feet out of the strikezone in the big leagues in September might help.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
And having video of himself flailing at balls 6 feet out of the strikezone in the big leagues in September might help.

That's one of the reasons I'm happy to see him in AAA this year (rather than repeating AA).

He needs work on offspeed stuff and strikezone recognition...

And AAA is full of guys with offspeed stuff they can't throw for strikes.

It's a perfect marriage.

;)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)

True, but if he has a respectable year it really couldnt hurt anything to call him up when the AAA season is over in September.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I should note though, in his last 10 games, he has only 4 K's in 37 AB, for a 10.8% rate, which is fine. Much better than the 31.7% he was at before then.

Regression to the mean. Strikeouts were not a problem for him last year. It was hard to believe he would strike out that much more this year.