How Russia Deals with Pirates

DukeNukeEm

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100506/158906539.html

I looked and looked but the search feature doesn't work and I couldn't find the original Somali pirate thread.

The source added that after the pirates had been disarmed and their navigation equipment removed, they were "put into an inflatable boat" and pushed off into the sea.

LOL, gotta love Russia.

Well hopefully they at least read them their rights before they put them on the boat.

They dont have any rights, really. Piracy is in a deadzone between war, crime and terrorism; does the Geneva Convention apply to Piracy?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 7, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
They dont have any rights, really. Piracy is in a deadzone between war, crime and terrorism; does the Geneva Convention apply to Piracy?

Human rights are over rated anyways.

Human rights are over rated anyways.

Which internationally recognized human rights are specifically being violated?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head would be the 2nd Geneva Convention, and you would have to make a hell of a case to make me really believe this falls under that provision.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 7, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)

Prosecuting piracy is pretty straightforward, the laws are like 150 years old and haven't changed much if at all.

Prosecuting piracy is pretty straightforward, the laws are like 150 years old and haven't changed much if at all.

Thats exactly the problem, these laws are 150 years old, and they have no place to try them (bear in the mind the USA and China, among others, haven't signed the Rome Statute).