Draft Preview: High School Hitters, Part 2

Ozzie Ball

Chad Lewis, 3B, Marina HS (CA)

Chad Lewis is an able defender at 3B who projects to stay at the position long term despite his below average speed. He has a strong, accurate arm, good hands and natural instincts at the hot corner. At the plate he puts to strength to good use as he displays intriguing pull power. He has a good, balanced swing and the ball really jumps off his bat. Lewis could hit for decent power and average to go along with positive defensive value, but he doesn't have the upside of a Kris Bryant.

Projected draft position: 4th - 7th Round.

Ty Linton, OF, Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

Marcus Littlewood, SS, Pine View HS (UT)

Michael Lorenzen, OF, Fullerton Union HS (CA)

Manny Machado, SS, Brito HS (FL)

Justin O'Conner, SS/C, Cowan HS (IN)

Brian Ragira, OF, James Martin HS (TX)

Stefan Sabol, C, Aliso Niguel HS (CA)

Josh Sale, OF, Bishop Blanchet HS (WA)

Drew Vettleson, OF, Central Kitsap HS (WA)

Austin Wilson, OF, Harvard-Westlake HS (CA)

An impressive physical specimen, Austin Wilson boasts some of the best tools of any hitter in the draft class. Likely a right fielder at the next level, Wilson's plus power will more than play there and his plus-plus arm should be a huge asset for him. Like a lot of high school hitters, Wilson struggles with his plate discipline and pitch recognition but he has been making improvements in this area. Wilson has huge, 5-tool upside, but there are worries over his signability due to a strong Stanford commitment and academic background, even still, he could be one of the first 10 players off the board.

Projected draft position: Early to Mid 1st Round.

Tony Wolters, SS, Rancho Buena Vista HS (CA)

Christian Yelich, 1B/3B/OF, Westlake HS (CA)

Continued...

Dang, I hope the Wsox go crazy and take Austin Wilson in 1st and go ahead and grab his would be future teamate at Stanford Brian Ragira in the 2nd. Investing the money in the draft is sure of a hell lot cheaper than F/A and can never have too much talent.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ May 8, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
Dang, I hope the Wsox go crazy and take Austin Wilson in 1st and go ahead and grab his would be future teamate at Stanford Brian Ragira in the 2nd. Investing the money in the draft is sure of a hell lot cheaper than F/A and can never have too much talent.

I'd love to see a study on what a dollar spent in the draft is worth in terms of future value. Perhaps that's something I'll try to tackle in the summer.

Wilson/Ragira would be pretty sweet. With this deep high school pitching class I'd look to drop one (or more) of them in rounds 2 - 5, RHP Mike Foltynewicz from Minooka HS (IL) is one of my favorites there, although he could go supplemental 1st.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 8, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
I'd love to see a study on what a dollar spent in the draft is worth in terms of future value. Perhaps that's something I'll try to tackle in the summer.

Wilson/Ragira would be pretty sweet. With this deep high school pitching class I'd look to drop one (or more) of them in rounds 2 - 5, RHP Mike Foltynewicz from Minooka HS (IL) is one of my favorites there, although he could go supplemental 1st.

Well one way or another its cheaper money initially than bringing in a big free agent, and that matters too. Not too mention it adds flexibility/tradechip, so there is more than just if he eventually becomes a good player or not when figuring out that equation.

From Keith Law's chat:

Joe (Texas)

How far in the First Round of the Draft do you think Austin Wilson falls to Due to his commitment to Stanford?

Klaw

(1:15 PM)

Highest I've heard him is 11 with Toronto, but their mix is pretty broad. Latest rumor is that he's showing more interest in signing.

Sox Again Set to Target Pitching in Amateur Draft

With three-and-a-half weeks before the first day of the amateur draft, scouting director Doug Laumann has narrowed the pool of players considered for the White Sox's first pick.

And for the fourth time in six seasons, that pick could be a college pitcher among a list of about eight candidates.

That possibility seems realistic, considering the Sox traded six young pitchers in the past 10 months in deals for Jake Peavy and Juan Pierre.

It's just as likely the Sox will place the bulk of their draft emphasis on pitching as they did last year, when they selected eight consecutive pitchers among their first 11 picks.

"We have confidence in how our people can identify and develop pitchers in the fourth through the sixth rounds as well as with the top guys," Laumann said Thursday.

Among the college pitchers who could be available when the Sox make their No. 13 overall selection are Texas' Brandon Workman, Virginia Tech's Jesse Hahn, Ohio State's Alex Wimmers, North Carolina's Matt Harvey and the Citadel's Asher Wojciechowski.

While I don't think Workman or Asher are sniffing middle of the first round, I do think we end up with a pitcher with our 1st pick.

Edited by DirtySox