7.5 games back.

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
The Indians got one of the top catching prospects in baseball for Casey Blake.

The key is...you deal for a guy at the lower levels, and you let him develop.

I don't have faith in the Sox organization to even do that.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
If you tried to trade Jake Peavy away two weeks ago when he was averaging an 89-90-91 MPH fastball, with his injury history and bad mechanics....????

Now, things have changed. (Of course, you can argue that Peavy is pointless to spend that type of money on if we don't have EITHER Danks or Buehrle to pair with in the rotation...UNLESS Daniel Hudson really is a legit #2-3 type of starter).

But I'd like to see your list of all the AL teams who would have taken Jake Peavy b4 his last two starts. The Yankees? Red Sox? Angels? Rangers? Mariners?

And what they would have given up in return? Brandon Wood? Reggie Willits?

Alex Rios...same thing? What teams in MLB can afford that contract right now, even if he is putting up an 850-900 OPS?

There are probably 3-5 we could name...but we wouldn't be getting a huge payout from him.

The Dodgers would be the best fit for him, totally dependent on McCourt.

That being said, I want to see JFP here the length of his contract.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 8, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
Not too difficult to "out manage" this team. Such a stupid argument, not a manager on f***ing earth would have done anything with this team.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how correct some of these "prophets" are in their prophecies at the end of the season.

I just want them to overhaul the whole organization. Get better scouts, draft better, better instruction, you name it. They don't like to spend money and often they waste it.

What is with all the threads and comments about Ozzie's managing?

Has this board become so cliche that's all we can discuss?

Don't you realize he is managing the roster the best anybody could? You can't pitch one or two relievers that you happen to love every f***ing circumstance.

There are a s***load of guys not hitting meaning you can't bat everybody ninth.

Ozzie is not TERRY BEVINGTON!

Why do so many want to run him out of town. The team f***ing sucks. He is a good manager.

Do you guys want revolving managers? A different one every year? Because any manager we get you are going to second guess moves when we lose.

Edited by greg775

I think they are, if not done, clearly on life support. I think there's a 90% chance that they already aren't good enough to catch the Twins, and it's probably closer to 95%.

The offense is flat out horrible, and the starting pitching still leaves us wondering what we're going to get from everyone except Danks. These guys have to be near perfect to win a game with an offense that can't score consistently.

To answer the original points from this post.

1) Konerko will probably eventually be dealt in July, but I also expect him to slow down considerably. Just the same, I don't see the White Sox adding Goznalez - they need to more young players, not trade them away. This team is more than one really good player away. They have holes right now all over the place.

2) A.J. is a free agent after the season, so there's a pretty good chance that he'll be mentioned as well come July. I don't think he'll bring much in return though.

3) Peavy and Rios will be here.

4) Teahan and Pierre will be here, neither guy has any value.

5) I don't expect Ozzie to be in any trouble.

If we lose badly and do not show up against the Twinkies in this upcoming series which is possible and then continue to slide to the end of May into June then yeah I could see a firesale (I will even make the official firesale thread) but not yet. If PK continues to shine then as much as it will hurt the fanbase you have to see what you can get. Also I know this won´t gp down with some people but if Danks does not sign should he be considered a firesale candidate? If he had a great ERA, K/BB ratio, and WHIP but average W/L record (Completely and justifiably due to no run support at all) then you should consider what you can get for him at the Aug deadline, or am I dead wrong?

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)

Don't you realize he is managing the roster the best anybody could? You can't pitch one or two relievers that you happen to love every f***ing circumstance.

Why do so many want to run him out of town. The team f***ing sucks. He is a good manager.

Do you guys want revolving managers? A different one every year? Because any manager we get you are going to second guess moves when we lose.

I'm just sick of him costing us games by batting a .190 hitter 7th instead of 9th, a .187 hitter 6th instead of 7th, a .200 hitter 1st instead of 8th, and not pitching Thorton for the 7th 8th and 9th of every game. Get a f***ing clue ozzie, jeez

I'm just sick of him costing us games by batting a .190 hitter 7th instead of 9th, a .187 hitter 6th instead of 7th, a .200 hitter 1st instead of 8th, and not pitching Thorton for the 7th 8th and 9th of every game. Get a f***ing clue ozzie, jeez

JC, and a couple of these loses are after good pitching by one of the startint 5, mainly Danks.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 8, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I just don't see Kenny taking a chance on Adrian Gonzalez and his upcoming pricetag, not with 22k attendance at home games.

Trading Konerko to Boston for 1B Lars Anderson and someone like OF Ryan Kalish or C Luis Exposito would seem to make sense for both sides.

I think you have to hold AJ for a few weeks longer to let some of his value return. However, I'm all for seeing what Lucy and Flowers can do the rest of the way.

The Red Sox still have Ortiz and Lowell. And if they were going to trade for Konerko, why wouldn't they just trade for Adrian Gonzalez?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 8, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
3. What about Peavy and Rios? Its simple, nobody are going to want these contracts and to be honest with you i dont mind. I love these 2 players. Rios has been great this year- his defense is solid and he is perfect in the 5 or 6th spot. Peavy is looking better and better each time out. If there are a few guys making the big bucks on our team the next few seasons, i wouldn't mind it being them. In fact i wouldn't mind if KW keeps the rotation in tact.

If Jake continues to pitch well, there is one big market team on the east coast currently not playing very well that could be a trade partner.

If Jake continues to pitch well, there is one big market team on the east coast currently not playing very well that could be a trade partner.

The BoSox?? WHo would you ask for if it was even concievable? Problem is I think Jake has a limited NTC.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:38 AM)

Why would you want to trade away your better players? Peavy has been and probably will be an ace. This guy is a keeper. There is no reason to deal him unless you simply are not trying to win.

I actually think if Lowell (3B) and Ortiz (DH) could put up their historic numbers, we could get back into it with those two in the line-up. It would certainly make me feel a lot more excited about the team. Never, ever going to happen, however.

Rather than just Peavy 1/5 days.

Of course, they won't be able to put up those numbers, undeniably they're close to done. And Peavy would be more valuable, if we did trade him...for whatever reason....we'd get back young players and minor league prospects, not veterans.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)

What is with all comments about certain players' performance?

Don't you realize they are playing the best they could?

Teahen is not JOSH FIELDS!

Why do so many want to run him out of town. He is a good baseball player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
The Red Sox still have Ortiz and Lowell. And if they were going to trade for Konerko, why wouldn't they just trade for Adrian Gonzalez?

If they have unlimited funds and prospects, then Adrian would make sense. If they want to give up half the prospects, and re-sign a guy for about half the salary, then Konerko would be their man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
David Ortiz and Mike Lowell.

And Boston would be picking up 85% of the salaries for those two guys.

why on earth would you want two more washed up guys?

the red sox would gladly give up those bums

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
why on earth would you want two more washed up guys?

the red sox would gladly give up those bums

Therein lies the problem...

What team will give up guys who are not washed up, declining, injured....unless they are forced to by financial circumstances, like the Tigers with Granderson and Edwin Jackson?

Since Ozzie loves veterans, you might as well go down with the ship playing all veterans, right?

Actually, forget about Peavy. Let's just say that the White Sox could work out some mutually beneficial deal to send some B prospects to the Red Sox and they (the Carmines) would pay similar salary amounts to what the Dodgers did with subsidizing Pierre and Jones?

I think it would be worth it, if we could get away with spending only $4-6 million for half season rentals of those two to inject some life into the offense. That saves face for Esptein, the Boston fans and for the respected veterans, it's a win-win IMO. There's no way Andruw Jones can continue to play this well, nor will Konerko. Rios, you expect to settle in between 775 and 850 OPS, yes?

If I could get away with trading, let's say, Shelby III/Santeliz/Nathan Jones (they'll definitely want at least ONE high upside guy) and would only have to pay Lowell and Ortiz $4-6 million for the remainder of the season, I'd seriously consider it.

If nothing else, it would help to increase attendance and interest in the Sox, like the Peavy/Rios deals and the Buehrle no-hitter last year.

Edited by caulfield12

Therein lies the problem...

What team will give up guys who are not washed up, declining, injured....unless they are forced to by financial circumstances, like the Tigers with Granderson and Edwin Jackson?

Since Ozzie loves veterans, you might as well go down with the ship playing all veterans, right?

Actually, forget about Peavy. Let's just say that the White Sox could work out some mutually beneficial deal to send some B prospects to the Red Sox and they (the Carmines) would pay similar salary amounts to what the Dodgers did with subsidizing Pierre and Jones?

I think it would be worth it, if we could get away with spending only $4-6 million for half season rentals of those two to inject some life into the offense. That saves face for Esptein, the Boston fans and for the respected veterans, it's a win-win IMO. There's no way Andruw Jones can continue to play this well, nor will Konerko. Rios, you expect to settle in between 775 and 850 OPS, yes?

If I could get away with trading, let's say, Shelby III/Santeliz/Nathan Jones (they'll definitely want at least ONE high upside guy) and would only have to pay Lowell and Ortiz $4-6 million for the remainder of the season, I'd seriously consider it.

If nothing else, it would help to increase attendance and interest in the Sox, like the Peavy/Rios deals and the Buehrle no-hitter last year.

How about a player like Jayson Werth of Phili, he is mashing and has had very good solid years in 08/09. Excellent OBP, still relatively young at 32 and decent in the OF with a career FP of .986 and career UZR of 2.3. He is righty but at this point does it matter? A half year rental would cost around 5-6 million and with Konerko coming off the books with AJ we could probably afford a 3-4 year deal for him (I see no more than that). He could DH and play all OF spots next year and beyond. Dunno just trying to create some valid scenarios. I think he has more value than Berkman. It looks like the Phillies cannot afford him now.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
How about a player like Jayson Werth of Phili, he is mashing and has had very good solid years in 08/09. Excellent OBP, still relatively young at 32 and decent in the OF with a career FP of .986 and career UZR of 2.3. He is righty but at this point does it matter? A half year rental would cost around 5-6 million and iwth Konerko coming off the books with AJ we could probably afford a 3-4 year deal for him (I see no more than that). He could DH and play all OF spots next year and beyond. Dunno just trying to create some valid scenarios. I think he has more value than Berkman. It looks like the Phillies cannot afford him now.

I appreciate hearing different names, but why would Phil trade him? They want another WS and he's a key part of it. They would want a ML player to go go back to them. Also, I think Werth is in for a BIG paycheck and I personally dont see him being this good throughout the next 3-4 years.

I appreciate hearing different names, but why would Phil trade him? They want another WS and he's a key part of it. They would want a ML player to go go back to them. Also, I think Werth is in for a BIG paycheck and I personally dont see him being this good throughout the next 3-4 years.

True, they are definitely in Win Now mode and a year of Werth fits in with their plans exactly. If he leaves as an FA he will no doubt be Type A so they have good choices. Just thought it might give us an injection of offense this year which it would but yeah I doubt they would listen to offers now that I think about it. It is more often team that are going no where that try to unload their best trading chips.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
True, they are definitely in Win Now mode and a year of Werth fits in with their plans exactly. If he leaves as an FA he will no doubt be Type A so they have good choices. Just thought it might give us an injection of offense this year which it would but yeah I doubt they would listen to offers now that I think about it. It is more often team that are going no where that try to unload their best trading chips.

Without looking at their starting rotation, my guess is that they would want one of our pitcher's in return, and for a rental of Werth it isnt worth it IMO.

EDIT: okay wow, that pun really was unintended.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 06:16 AM)
David Ortiz and Mike Lowell.

And Boston would be picking up 85% of the salaries for those two guys.

No way do you ask for has-beens like David Ortiz and Mike Lowell for Peavy. You ask for prospects. I'd rather get a package with Reddick thrown in it.

Let's not let Ozzie off the hook just because there are s***ty players on the roster... they are the s***ty players he wanted and before the season started he said something to the effect that he is the one accountable if it doesn't work out. He campaigned for the idea of a rotating DH with below-average hitters and hits these guys in the top half of the lineup... etc.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Let's not let Ozzie off the hook just because there are s***ty players on the roster... they are the s***ty players he wanted and before the season started he said something to the effect that he is the one accountable if it doesn't work out. He campaigned for the idea of a rotating DH with below-average hitters and hits these guys in the top half of the lineup... etc.

Good point. KW was actively seeking a Left handed stick with a high OBP for the DH spot but Ozzie told him ''no i like this team the way it is."