7.5 games back.

GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Good point. KW was actively seeking a Left handed stick with a high OBP for the DH spot but Ozzie told him ''no i like this team the way it is."

And it's fair to say it's also KW's fault for giving this cockamamie-assed idea the time of day.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
Let's not let Ozzie off the hook just because there are s***ty players on the roster... they are the s***ty players he wanted and before the season started he said something to the effect that he is the one accountable if it doesn't work out. He campaigned for the idea of a rotating DH with below-average hitters and hits these guys in the top half of the lineup... etc.

That kinda sounds to me like it would be the job of some other type of manager, possibly a "general manager" who would be in charge of general off the field baseball decisions. They should try it out

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
That kinda sounds to me like it would be the job of some other type of manager, possibly a "general manager" who would be in charge of general off the field baseball decisions. They should try it out

See post #51

What is with all comments about certain players' performance?

Has this board become so cliche that's all we can discuss?

Don't you realize they are playing the best they could?

Teahen is not JOSH FIELDS!

Why do so many want to run him out of town. He is a good baseball player.

I don't think it's cliche to discuss players and their performances. They are the ones who win and lose games.

And in Teahen's case I think he's a utility guy type player at best.

I don't think Ozzie EVER has gone on record as saying, "No, we really don't need or even want Johnny Damon, we're fine with TMK getting 350 at-bats...and, actually, come to think of it, I agree with my man Kenny, I think the Damon signing just puts the Tigers in a better position to compete with us."

I never thought that the White Sox would be done on May 10th. This team isn't good enough to overcome the eight game hole they've dug, and I see no reason why this won't get worse when they visit for 2 more games this week. What a disaster. When does training camp open?

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
And it's fair to say it's also KW's fault for giving this cockamamie-assed idea the time of day.

Its not also his fault, its ALL his fault

He does not, in any way at all, have to take orders from Ozzie.. Period..

Ozzie can suggest and ask for anything he wants.. if Kenny listens to him and does it and it fails well, sorry KW but maybe you should have done things your way instead..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 9, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)

Ozzie can suggest and ask for anything he wants.. if Kenny listens to him and does it and it fails well, sorry KW but maybe you should have done things your way instead..

Just because server tells a cook to put ketchup in Alfredo sauce doesn't mean the cook should do it. I agree, Williams is completely at fault for this roster, and he knew better too.

This Minnesota series is as big of a 2 game series in the beginning to middle of May can possibly be. The Sox really need a sweep, but winning one is imperitive. If they lose both they are 10 games back. How many White Sox teams have made up 10 game deficits and won their division?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
This Minnesota series is as big of a 2 game series in the beginning to middle of May can possibly be. The Sox really need a sweep, but winning one is imperitive. If they lose both they are 10 games back. How many White Sox teams have made up 10 game deficits and won their division?

It is so depressing to know this is true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)

I'm not sure I would feel a lot better if the Sox took two in Minnesota. They'll still have so much ground to make up. I think the only thing that saves this team is if they rip off something insane like 10 in a row, and Minnesota plays .500 during that stretch. Then they'll at least be back in the conversation.

Otherwise... BLOW IT UP!!!

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 10, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
I'm not sure I would feel a lot better if the Sox took two in Minnesota. They'll still have so much ground to make up. I think the only thing that saves this team is if they rip off something insane like 10 in a row, and Minnesota plays .500 during that stretch. Then they'll at least be back in the conversation.

Winning 2 in Minny would be big for this team. Not only is it 2 games closer in the standings, but I think it would be huge psychologically for a team that is obviously not all on the same track.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Winning 2 in Minny would be big for this team. Not only is it 2 games closer in the standings, but I think it would be huge psychologically for a team that is obviously not all on the same track.

Yeah but winning 2 in Minnesota would REALLY mean something if it starts a streak of 5+

Edited by Chet Kincaid

i have a hard time believing we'll win either game when our lineup consists of players like Jayson Nix, Omar Vizquel, Mark Kotsay, and a defeated Gordon Beckham, as well as a non-impactful Mark Teahen, and overrated Alexei Ramirez. that is just a lineup full of hot trash, and Ozzie thinks it's GOOD ENOUGH. that's the problem.

the Twins have better talent than we do at every position, other than CF and Andruw Jones > Delmon Young for a corner OF spot

this should be an easy series for the Twins, which is why I stopped putting much emphasis on winning or losing games anymore since this team is what it is

so, my prediction is we get swept both games.

I thought I was depressed...lol...well, you can still at least make an argument for Teahen over Punto/Harris at 3B. And it's hard to say Morneau is clearly better than Konerko based on 2010 results alone, they're pretty even.

And for most of our starting pitchers and bullpen head-to-head against the Twins' pitchers in the same slots.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
I thought I was depressed...lol...well, you can still at least make an argument for Teahen over Punto/Harris at 3B. And it's hard to say Morneau is clearly better than Konerko based on 2010 results alone, they're pretty even.

And for most of our starting pitchers and bullpen head-to-head against the Twins' pitchers in the same slots.

The argument wouldnt be 2010 alone. I think everyone on this site to a man would take Morneau over Konerko. The guy is a perennial MVP contender

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)

What a riveting conversation that would be! Geesh!

This probably goes without saying, but KW either needs to go after a big bat now in order to make any improvements or do nothing for another few weeks then begin the fire sale. My guess is KW wants to make a move...he doesn't seem like the type of GM who would be willing to give up so early. I just don't know if there's anyone out there who can make that much of an impact. At least not anyone the Sox can realistically go after.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 10, 2010 -> 12:10 PM)
I just don't know if there's anyone out there who can make that much of an impact. At least not anyone the Sox can realistically go after.

Aside from adding Pujols, I don't think there's a bat that would be big enough to make the kind of impact we need unless Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Pierzynski, and Pierre can pick it up.

And if they do so, I'm not sure that adding a bat will be necessary.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 10, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)

Well this isn't overreacting much at all. The ONLY thing that saves this team with 130 games left is if they win their next 10 in a row so that they need to win fewer games in the next 120! Everyone knows that it's really those first 42 games that mean the absolute most!

What the White Sox need to do is to start winning baseball games. I'm not a huge fan of the way this team is constructed, but there is still a shot for something decent. If they start playing better, then maybe Williams goes out and gets a bat.

What's really sad right now is that Jenks' implosion yesterday changed a 4-3 homestand into a 3-4 homestand. Granted 4-3 isn't great...5-2 would have been a hell of a lot better. But things look worse today after the senseless loss yesterday. There were some good things from yesterday's game. Patience at the plate, some key hits, and Rios going nuts. Bobby has struggled like this off and on over the past couple years, and it's really frustrating that his removal from the closer role came one day too late.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 10, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)

Yeah see that's not even really what I'm saying. Obviously it's KW's fault that we have too many s***ty players on the roster. It's not KW's fault or Ozzie's fault that guys like Buehrle, Floyd, Peavy, Quentin, Beckham, AJ, etc. are underperforming badly or otherwise sucking hot ass.

I said that Ozzie should not be let off the hook for this, because Ozzie has shown over the past couple of years, independently of KW, that he is a moron. There is no reason to ever bat a player like Vizquel or Kotsay higher than 7th. None. But this is the type of s*** Ozzie does every other day.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Yeah see that's not even really what I'm saying. Obviously it's KW's fault that we have too many s***ty players on the roster. It's not KW's fault or Ozzie's fault that guys like Buehrle, Floyd, Peavy, Quentin, Beckham, AJ, etc. are underperforming badly or otherwise sucking hot ass.

I said that Ozzie should not be let off the hook for this, because Ozzie has shown over the past couple of years, independently of KW, that he is a moron. There is no reason to ever bat a player like Vizquel or Kotsay higher than 7th. None. But this is the type of s*** Ozzie does every other day.

Thank you

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
There is no reason to ever bat a player like Vizquel or Kotsay higher than 7th. None. But this is the type of s*** Ozzie does every other day.

You could also say there is no reason to have either of those players on the roster as well.. and Ozzie couldnt do these things if KW didnt make it all available to happen..

And I get what you were saying, I was just throwing it out there