7.5 games back.

GreatScott82

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Trade Jenks and Teahan and Kotsay and maybe AJP and see what you mght be able to add. Trade away your strong nucleus and all you do is add inexperience to go with inexperience.

Trading those guys gets you: essentially zero players back in return, and essentially zero salary relief. You can't trade garbage and expect to get something useful in return.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Trade Jenks and Teahan and Kotsay and maybe AJP and see what you mght be able to add. Trade away your strong nucleus and all you do is add inexperience to go with inexperience.

You understand that you have to give value to receive it, correct? This isn't MLB 2K10 with the difficulty set on easy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Trading those guys gets you: essentially zero players back in return, and essentially zero salary relief. You can't trade garbage and expect to get something useful in return.

I'll say that Teahen and Kotsay get you nothing, Jenks gets you a prospect (and not a team's Top 10 prospect either), but AJP might net more. AJ has an option for 2011, correct?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
I'll say that Teahen and Kotsay get you nothing, Jenks gets you a prospect (and not a team's Top 10 prospect either), but AJP might net more. AJ has an option for 2011, correct?

As far as I know, both from the sheet here and from Googling, no, AJ has no team option. He is $6.75 this year, and then a free agent this offseason. And if he continues hitting .200, you won't be getting anything if you offer him arbitration either. And you probably wouldn't want to.

Jenks doesn't land you anything unless you're paying 80% of his contract right now, and even then, he'll get you a Brian Anderson level prospect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
As far as I know, both from the sheet here and from Googling, no, AJ has no team option. He is $6.75 this year, and then a free agent this offseason.

Jenks doesn't land you anything unless you're paying 80% of his contract right now, and even then, he'll get you a Brian Anderson level prospect.

In that case, AJ nets you something, but not as much as I thought. For a team in contention, if they need a catcher, they'd be willing to give up a decent prospect for him, even just a half season of him. I'd bet on that.

Jenks, well, it depends a lot on this month. If he looks good for the next month going into June, I think he nets you something as well - and that's better than the nothing you'd get at the end of the year, if you are out of it and looking to rebuild.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
In that case, AJ nets you something, but not as much as I thought. For a team in contention, if they need a catcher, they'd be willing to give up a decent prospect for him, even just a half season of him. I'd bet on that.

Jenks, well, it depends a lot on this month. If he looks good for the next month going into June, I think he nets you something as well - and that's better than the nothing you'd get at the end of the year, if you are out of it and looking to rebuild.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if Jenks looks good through June, from what we've seen so far.

And with Aj...one thing you have to think about, in addition to his salary...is that his "attitude" issues aren't exactly going to have GM's breaking down the door for him, even if he does start to hit at some point. That's got to limit the teams available. He's not going to platoon with Molina in S.F., for example.

Anyway, with either of them, that's why I'd target A-ball level guys, rather than MLB ready guys, because if you get someone, maybe you teach them a cutter and they snap into something much more useful than wha t you thought when you made the deal.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
So we trade our performers and keep those who don't perform? Not much sense in that

Have you ever pruned a rose bush or done something similar? Think of it like that. It might seem counterintuitive to cut away seemingly healthy parts of the bush, but what you're actually doing is setting the bush up in a way that it comes back stronger.

Yeah, there's a bunch of garbage on this team. What they get back in trades doesn't matter. It would be like the trade deadline in 2002 when they traded four or five players for minor league garbage. Just get these guys out and clear payroll room for next year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Why would AJ block a trade....to stay on this White Sox team?

He's as good as gone.

‘‘I’m sure,’’ Pierzynski said of the trade talk surfacing in the media. ‘‘Everyone knows my situation, I’m a free agent at the end of the year. But I also know this, if it gets to about June then they can’t trade me, so they’re going to have to make a decision here pretty quick.’’

Pierzynski and the Sox have been a perfect fit since he arrived before the 2005 season, and was a big part of the World Series run.

Seeing Pierzynski in a different uniform would look bizarre. It’s also reality.

‘‘I want to be in a place where I can win, but I would love to stay in Chicago,’’ he said. ‘‘Up until then I have no say so in the matter, but if they find a move that they think is right and they think it will help the organization, there’s nothing I can do. I’ll go to a new team and be happy there, so ... I hope it works out here. This is my first choice.’’

I wonder what team gets AJ?

We'll get two lousy prospects if we're lucky; probably one plus cash which should please Jerry who will want to cut payroll and get some cash in the process as KW cleans house.

I wonder who gets Paulie? And Mark? Should be interesting. Mark to the Cardinals probably for 2 lousy prospects even tho he's worth more than that. Paulie to ?? I wonder if some contender would overpay for Paulie.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (flavum @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Yeah, there's a bunch of garbage on this team. What they get back in trades doesn't matter. It would be like the trade deadline in 2002 when they traded four or five players for minor league garbage. Just get these guys out and clear payroll room for next year.

Clearing payroll isn't the answer either. Look what they did with the savings from Thome and Dye. It's the philosophy that needs to be changed.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Clearing payroll isn't the answer either. Look what they did with the savings from Thome and Dye. It's the philosophy that needs to be changed.

What savings from Thome and Dye? Dye never left, and Thome they saved about $1 million from.

I wish people would drop this whole "Mark to the Cardinals" crap. Baseball is a business.

I realize it's a business.

My take is Jerry will save a lot of cash by dumping Mark. Cards will want him and offer something. I'm just saying my belief is we'll get s*** back for him even though he should get us good players.

After going to a 51s game this week in Vegas, wow I'd love to have that third baseman in the Halladay deal who plays for the 51s. Some lefthande hitter, forget his name. 4-5 and whacking balls all over the field. Hot prospect for Toronto.

So Balta, you know for a fact that the Phillies paid Thome's contract for his "option year."

Where is this reported?

Because officially, it was $12-13 million, yes? At least on our payroll, it certainly looked that way.

Why would the team have been concerned in 2008 about his 2009 option kicking in if they didn't have to pay his salary, Pat Gillick's "secret" handshake agreement did the trick?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
But the Cardinals thing is a 50/50 chance, it seems....either he retires, is traded, stays with Sox or goes to STL as FA for his final big contract.

There's no way of knowing that since the assumption is based on believing the Cards want hm.

No team will take Mark Buehrle this year. If he's traded, he makes $15 mil this year, and $15 mil in 2011 and 2012. The Sox have him at $14 mil this year and 2011, and then he'll probably sign with the Cardinals, for a true hometown discount. Quite frankly, I think by the time 2012 comes around we'll be ok with Mark moving on.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
I realize it's a business.

My take is Jerry will save a lot of cash by dumping Mark. Cards will want him and offer something. I'm just saying my belief is we'll get s*** back for him even though he should get us good players.

After going to a 51s game this week in Vegas, wow I'd love to have that third baseman in the Halladay deal who plays for the 51s. Some lefthande hitter, forget his name. 4-5 and whacking balls all over the field. Hot prospect for Toronto.

Barry Zito's deal isn't looking as bad either, another soft-tossing LHP in his 30's.

The Cardinals will make a run at Buehrle again this year.