7.5 games back.

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 15, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
About 80 of Jones PA have been as an OF. The Sox DH's have 12 RBI, with 6 coming in one game. (Quentin) The problem with this rotating DH is you are always playing someone who isn't hitting at all. If you aren't used to it, DHing isn't a very easy adjustment for everyone.

They need offense. They can be stubborn and refuse to admit they are wrong and watch the season and the fanbase melt away or they can do something about it. Its time.

A rotating DH can be smart, if you have 4 or 5 guys that are decent hitters and at least one of those guys has some flexibility defensively, but when part of a rotating DH are guys that shouldn't start (even in the case of a platoon situation), than you have a serious issue.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
A rotating DH can be smart, if you have 4 or 5 guys that are decent hitters and at least one of those guys has some flexibility defensively, but when part of a rotating DH are guys that shouldn't start (even in the case of a platoon situation), than you have a serious issue.

I can't imagine a team with 4 or 5 decent hitters on a bench. I can't even imagine that in a lineup, it's been so long.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 15, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
Given that Quentin is made of glass and that Pierre isn't hitting, I don't see that as a negative. I'd much rather that Jones spell these guys than Kotsay.

Going out and getting one bat isn't going to change anything. Hell, not going out and getting TWO bats probably won't turn them into contenders, either. Not with Beckham, AJ, and Pierre not hitting. And not with Floyd, and Jenks consistently crapping their pants, and Buehrle and Peavy being wildly-erratic. Trading for somebody like Matsui at the deadline would cost them money and not deliver what they're looking for. Kind of like last summer, but not nearly as severe.

If the Sox are still playing like this a year from now, it's going to be time for some MAJOR changes. That would mean selling off guys like Peavy and Buehrle for high-level prospects, bringing up Hudson, Flowers, and D2 and, perhaps most importantly, tossing out the coaching staff (minus Cooper).

I don't think we need to wait until next year to do that.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
I don't know who's readily available. I'm just saying it's pretty outrageous to think that we should give the coaching staff until this time next year before canning them.

I see little sense in naming Joey Cora or some scrub from the minor-league system manager, and then replacing him and his entire staff this winter. Kenny's not going to find the manager that he wants and assemble an entire new coaching staff in the middle of the season.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)
I see little sense in naming Joey Cora or some scrub from the minor-league system manager, and then replacing him and his entire staff this winter. Kenny's not going to find the manager that he wants and assemble an entire new coaching staff in the middle of the season.

It's just that you said something about firing them if they are playing the same a year from now. I took that as meaning you wouldn't even fire them during the offseason, but rather start the 2011 season with them.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
It's just that you said something about firing them if they are playing the same a year from now. I took that as meaning you wouldn't even fire them during the offseason, but rather start the 2011 season with them.

Well, it's really not up to me. I'm not Kenny Williams. And my feeling is that Kenny (who has never had a true "rebuilding" season in his 10 years as GM) probably isn't going to throw in the towel less than a year after acquiring Peavy and Rios, with a full year still on Mark's contract, and with guys like Danks still affordable. Even if the Sox lose the 96 games that they're on pace to, it's very possible that he goes for it one last time. And if that's the case, it's most likely that he stays with Ozzie & Co. for one last year for the sake of continuity. Players and coaches take time to adjust to one another, and a major shake-up would be disruptive.

Either way, Kenny isn't going to fire an entire coaching staff during the season. It's possible that Ozzie's mouth forces him out and that Joey Cora takes over for a few months, but you can't realistically throw together an entire coaching staff in the middle of a season. That would be an absolute mess, and I didn't mean to imply that the coaching staff would go at the trade deadline, along with the players.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)
Well, it's really not up to me. I'm not Kenny Williams. And my feeling is that Kenny (who has never had a true "rebuilding" season in his 10 years as GM) probably isn't going to throw in the towel less than a year after acquiring Peavy and Rios, with a full year still on Mark's contract, and with guys like Danks still affordable. Even if the Sox lose the 96 games that they're on pace to, it's very possible that he goes for it one last time. And if that's the case, it's most likely that he stays with Ozzie & Co. for one last year for the sake of continuity. Players and coaches take time to adjust to one another, and a major shake-up would be disruptive.

Either way, Kenny isn't going to fire an entire coaching staff during the season. It's possible that Ozzie's mouth forces him out and that Joey Cora takes over for a few months, but you can't realistically throw together an entire coaching staff in the middle of a season. That would be an absolute mess, and I didn't mean to imply that the coaching staff would go at the trade deadline, along with the players.

Well yeah, I definitely wouldn't expect them to all get fired at once. I was thinking more like Walker is let go during the season, and then Ozzie/Cora/whoever else during the offseason.

And whoa, I didn't realize the pace was that bad.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:30 PM)

The thing is if you bring in someone without a long term deal, the players have no incentive to listen to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
The thing is if you bring in someone without a long term deal, the players have no incentive to listen to him.

Except for that whole "You're sucking and destroying your whole career" thing?

As bad as this team seems (and they are bad at times for sure), I'm surprised they are only 6 games below .500. I say that because it seems like they should be worse. 6 games below .500 is NOT good, but they sometimes play like a team that should be 10 games below or worse. They need to have more games like yesterday and get to .500 and start hacking away at the Twins' lead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Which means they start working for their own stats instead of winning games.

That's fine, it's not like this is basketball where someone can be a ball hog. With our lack of fundamentals, just go ahead and let our hitters swing for a 3 run home run instead of trying to advance runners.

I'm surprised they are only 6 games below .500. I say that because it seems like they should be worse. 6 games below .500 is NOT good, but they sometimes play like a team that should be 10 games below or worse. They need to have more games like yesterday and get to .500 and start hacking away at the Twins' lead.

Six games below .500 right now is pretty bad.

We are one horrible horrible long road trip from being buried into a Royals-like campaign.

I know what you are saying, but in reality we're still very close to spiraling into Royals/Orioles/Nats-like territory.

16-24 at the quarter pole of the season. Still too early to start selling off (outside of A.J. if you get a decent offer), but the contingency plans for what to do if the season is a disaster have to be in place and being reviewed at this point, because it seems likely such plans will need to be executed come June and especially July. This team looks absolutely hopeless more and more by the day.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

It's sad to think that it would take an 8 game winning streak just to get to .500. This team is not capable of an 8 game winning streak. I would say that this is what it must feel like to be a Pirates fan, but at least they knew their team wouldn't compete.

This is the most frustrating Sox team since the '84 squad. In '07, it was at least understandable that injuries to JT, JD, Crede, and other vets would kill offensive production. And nobody expected Danks, Floyd, and a patchwork bullpen to be anything more than average at best. In '01, Frank was out for the season early on and it was difficult to expect Baldwin and Parque to anchor the middle of the rotation. In '97, they took a massive gamble in Navarro and skimped badly to fill the two other spots in the rotation. So no surprise there.

But it's mind-boggling to watch Peavy, Buehrle, and Jenks all suck in the primes of their careers. And it's difficult to understand how (presumably healthy) players like Alexei and AJ can put up a sub-.600 OPS. And the would-be '08 AL MVP is hanging right around the .700 OPS mark. Barf.

Edited by WCSox

Curiosity has gotten the best of me I think.... I almost want the team to keep playing like this, because I HAVE to know how the front office can justify this management. It's beyond ridiculous...

And the Sox don't just find themselves 7.5 games back of one team, it's now two teams. This season is a lost cause. Underperformers such as A.J., Buehrle, Floyd, Beckham, Jenks, Peavy and Quentin have killed this team. It's hard to imagine them making up 7.5 games on both Minnesota and Detroit. In the past when Minnesota held division leads I've always been confident because I truly thought the Sox were more talented. This year I can honestly say that the Twins are more talented. Add that with the 7.5 games they've been spotted and it's goodnight.