And that's a White Sox winner !!

Jones, Konerko, and Rios continue to hit the ball harder than anyone else. Teahen better not be playing tomorrow, and Quentin/Beckham still aren't close to even being mediocre right now. Peavy's slider was awesome though, and has me very optimistic about him going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:08 PM)
Jones, Konerko, and Rios continue to hit the ball harder than anyone else. Teahen better not be playing tomorrow, and Quentin/Beckham still aren't close to even being mediocre right now. Peavy's slider was awesome though, and has me very optimistic about him going forward.

Which it was sooooo premature for people to say we lost that deal four starts into 2010. Our two big pickups from last year still look pretty darn good. It's the guys we counted on coming back that have been f***ing up.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)

And Ramirez...although he's getting closer. He almost hit a bomb to LF and followed it with a soft single, and he was inches from being safe at first on his ill-conceived dive into 1B play when Gonzalez (your AL starting SS in the All-Star game if it were held today) nailed him (OR NOT).

If he had run through the bag, he'd have had a 3/4 or 3/5 day.

Maybe Beckham's cheap infield hit with lead to something good...the patience with the walks is SOMETHING to be encouraged by, fingers crossed.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:39 AM)
And Ramirez...although he's getting closer. He almost hit a bomb to LF and followed it with a soft single, and he was inches from being safe at first on his ill-conceived dive into 1B play when Gonzalez (your AL starting SS in the All-Star game if it were held today) nailed him (OR NOT).

If he had run through the bag, he'd have had a 3/4 or 3/5 day.

Maybe Beckham's cheap infield hit with lead to something good...the patience with the walks is SOMETHING to be encouraged by, fingers crossed.

Until Beckham starts hitting line drives, I won't be encouraged by anything.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 8, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
Which it was sooooo premature for people to say we lost that deal four starts into 2010. Our two big pickups from last year still look pretty darn good. It's the guys we counted on coming back that have been f***ing up.

There are a lot of mea culpas going to be owed at this rate. I haven't seen any so far. I guess I shouldn't be expecting to see any either, though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
There are a lot of mea culpas going to be owed at this rate. I haven't seen any so far. I guess I shouldn't be expecting to see any either, though.

nope, half the people here don't post unless its to b**** about how the sky is falling

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 8, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)

Woah woah woah. Let's let him have more than 2 good starts before we say its a good deal. Especially meaningful starts and not when you are 7.5 games back. It's a lot easier to pitch when you are pretty much out of it.

It is good that he's put two dominant starts together. Let's hope we can get him back to a place where he can show us what he's got when it counts.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
Woah woah woah. Let's let him have more than 2 good starts before we say its a good deal. Especially meaningful starts and not when you are 7.5 games back. It's a lot easier to pitch when you are pretty much out of it.

It is good that he's put two dominant starts together. Let's hope we can get him back to a place where he can show us what he's got when it counts.

We traded Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dex Carter, and Adam Russell for a CY Young winning pitcher. No one should need any more time to say whether it was a good deal or not. For what we gave up and what we got back. It was.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)

So we can call it a horrible trade and wish we had CR/AP back after a couple bad starts, but can't call it a good trade if he has a few awesome ones? Is this the same logic that goes into "ozzie didn't impact games in '05 or any time we win because the players are just good, but when we lose its roughly 93% his fault because he bats s*** player 6th instead of 7th" ?

Got it

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 8, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)

There was one dope that compared Peavy to Todd Ritchie.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)

It took you about 23 seconds to deem the Rios acquisition a failure.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
So we can call it a horrible trade and wish we had CR/AP back after a couple bad starts, but can't call it a good trade if he has a few awesome ones? Is this the same logic that goes into "ozzie didn't impact games in '05 or any time we win because the players are just good, but when we lose its roughly 93% his fault because he bats s*** player 6th instead of 7th" ?

Got it

He's getting paid 16 million bucks. 3 good starts (two against awful awful teams) out of 7 isn't what we are paying him for, or traded him for. If you think it is, that's cool I guess. I don't. Especially not good starts when we are 7 games back of first. We needed him the first month.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
We traded Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dex Carter, and Adam Russell for a CY Young winning pitcher. No one should need any more time to say whether it was a good deal or not. For what we gave up and what we got back. It was.

It could be, sure. So far it has not been.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
He's getting paid 16 million bucks. 3 good starts (two against awful awful teams) out of 7 isn't what we are paying him for, or traded him for. If you think it is, that's cool I guess. I don't. Especially not good starts when we are 7 games back of first. We needed him the first month.

What the White Sox needed the first month was Quentin and Beckham to hit like they were expected to, and don't give me the two out of three were against crap teams because he did absolutely what a dominant pitcher is supposed to do against crap teams and that was give them little to no chance to win the game. With the filthy stuff he's had recently it's OK to be excited about him. Basically every pitcher, even dominant ones, have clunkers during the season, look at Sabathia's normal April stats, he usually is terrible.

Wow, so is he done pitching after these 7 starts? The Sox only are paying him for the first 7 starts of the season? I guess it's "cool" to think that and completely ignore he actually looks like a dominant pitcher again. Is 7 games a lot to be out on May 8th? Absolutely. Does it mean the season is over. No, would be a tremendous turnaround, but let's see what happens, they still have 15 or so games left against the Twins, and in the only series they played against them this year all three games were extremely close.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:09 AM)
What the White Sox needed the first month was Quentin and Beckham to hit like they were expected to, and don't give me the two out of three were against crap teams because he did absolutely what a dominant pitcher is supposed to do against crap teams and that was give them little to no chance to win the game. With the filthy stuff he's had recently it's OK to be excited about him. Basically every pitcher, even dominant ones, have clunkers during the season, look at Sabathia's normal April stats, he usually is terrible.

Wow, so is he done pitching after these 7 starts? The Sox only are paying him for the first 7 starts of the season? I guess it's "cool" to think that and completely ignore he actually looks like a dominant pitcher again. Is 7 games a lot to be out on May 8th? Absolutely. Does it mean the season is over. No, would be a tremendous turnaround, but let's see what happens, they still have 15 or so games left against the Twins, and in the only series they played against them this year all three games were extremely close.

Wait, I didn't say people couldn't be excited about it. I didn't post anything at all on the subject. The only reason I posted is because people were getting called out. I hope they can come back and Peavy can be dominant. My point is and always has been if we are paying him 16 million, he's gotta be awesome, because that is money we could have spent on this piece of s*** offense, both before the season and in the future.

I said I hope he turns it around, and I said it can be a great trade. So far it has not been.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
Wait, I didn't say people couldn't be excited about it. I didn't post anything at all on the subject. The only reason I posted is because people were getting called out. I hope they can come back and Peavy can be dominant. My point is and always has been if we are paying him 16 million, he's gotta be awesome, because that is money we could have spent on this piece of s*** offense.

I said I hope he turns it around, and I said it can be a great trade. So far it has not been.

The point is you can't really say ANYTHING about the deal thus far.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)

Already a great trade in my eyes. Basically stole him from SD unless Richard and/or Carter really become good. Peavy has been a notorious slow starter for years so that hasn't changed at all. Already said it in this thread.

Good win for us, I hate the fact that Gavin is pitching after Peavy (rather have Danks) but whatever.

Edited by SoxAce