And that's a White Sox winner !!

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
Wait, I didn't say people couldn't be excited about it. I didn't post anything at all on the subject. The only reason I posted is because people were getting called out. I hope they can come back and Peavy can be dominant. My point is and always has been if we are paying him 16 million, he's gotta be awesome, because that is money we could have spent on this piece of s*** offense.

I said I hope he turns it around, and I said it can be a great trade. So far it has not been.

Again, he's a grand total of what, 10 starts into his White Sox career? I'm not going to judge the trade either way at this point, but I will say having CR/AP on this team at this point and spending the extra 16m on offense probably wouldn't be a much better alternative, and again, if Gordon and Quentin are doing around average this team is better, I had and have zero problem with KW expecting those to carry more weight than they have.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:56 AM)
He's getting paid 16 million bucks. 3 good starts (two against awful awful teams) out of 7 isn't what we are paying him for, or traded him for. If you think it is, that's cool I guess. I don't. Especially not good starts when we are 7 games back of first. We needed him the first month.

It is your money? Are you paying the salary? If not, why is this any of your concern? The Sox gave up a 4th starter, two AAA relief guys, and a AA arm on the verge of flaming out. We didn't lose this trade, we won the s*** out of it. How many chances in our lives as baseball fans has our favorite team taken advantage of a scenario that allowed them to bring an ace into the fold? Like it or not, but Peavy's contract was that scenario. I don't really see the need to b**** KW out getting one of the best pitchers in the game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:20 AM)
It is your money? Are you paying the salary? If not, why is this any of your concern? The Sox gave up a 4th starter, two AAA relief guys, and a AA arm on the verge of flaming out. We didn't lose this trade, we won the s*** out of it. How many chances in our lives as baseball fans has our favorite team taken advantage of a scenario that allowed them to bring an ace into the fold? Like it or not, but Peavy's contract was that scenario. I don't really see the need to b**** KW out getting one of the best pitchers in the game.

The only reason that I bring up the money part of it is because it couldve been money spent on offseason holes. I don't have a problem spending 16 mil on a player if they are worth it. And in my opinion, Peavy has to be better than he has shown so far to command that type of money that could've filled more holes. THat's all I'm saying.

Edited by jphat007

Which it was sooooo premature for people to say we lost that deal four starts into 2010. Our two big pickups from last year still look pretty darn good. It's the guys we counted on coming back that have been f***ing up.

Who is struggling more, Beckham or Quentin?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:41 AM)
Who is struggling more, Beckham or Quentin?

Beckham's struggling more, but I have greater confidence in his ability to rebound. But enough about basketball...

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
He's getting paid 16 million bucks. 3 good starts (two against awful awful teams) out of 7 isn't what we are paying him for, or traded him for. If you think it is, that's cool I guess. I don't. Especially not good starts when we are 7 games back of first. We needed him the first month.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was unaware that those first 4 games counted for more than these last 3. Hope to hear from you again when the sox lose their next game

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:19 AM)
Woah woah woah. Let's let him have more than 2 good starts before we say its a good deal. Especially meaningful starts and not when you are 7.5 games back. It's a lot easier to pitch when you are pretty much out of it.

It is good that he's put two dominant starts together. Let's hope we can get him back to a place where he can show us what he's got when it counts.

The Padres are offering Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dexter Carter, and Adam Russell for Jake Peavy. Do you make the move?

The Padres are offering Clayton Richard, Aaron Poreda, Dexter Carter, and Adam Russell for Jake Peavy. Do you make the move?

Nope, I will take 3 years of a proven winner (Albeit nothing yet in the playoffs) over 4 pitchers that have not proved anything yet.

Yeah, I saw a link to an article that claims the Pads already won the Jake Peavy trade... while this team surely misses CR, if you can trade an ok starter and two average-to-below average pen arms for a top of the rotation starter, you kind of have to make that trade.

I understand the cost issue, and that is a big deal, but tonight seems like it might be a pretty typical Peavy outing. Lots of k's, a couple solo dingers due to the park favoring hitters, and going deep into the game. I can live with that for 3 more years.

I love watching CR pitcher, and I’m rooting for him to succeed, but I have no regrets that KW traded his ass the minute he got word that Peavy could be had again. The only thing I miss about Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda is the acronym that their names formed. That thing gave me an awesome signature for, like, three months.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
I love watching CR pitcher, and I’m rooting for him to succeed, but I have no regrets that KW traded his ass the minute he got word that Peavy could be had again. The only thing I miss about Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda is the acronym that their names formed. That thing gave me an awesome signature for, like, three months.

There is still plenty of sig goodness you can get out of that acronym, "We had CR/AP, now we have Peavy"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:48 AM)

absolutely not. he's jake peavy, let's not lose sight of that fact.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
Woah woah woah. Let's let him have more than 2 good starts before we say its a good deal. Especially meaningful starts and not when you are 7.5 games back. It's a lot easier to pitch when you are pretty much out of it.

It is good that he's put two dominant starts together. Let's hope we can get him back to a place where he can show us what he's got when it counts.

I'm not going so far to say that you, or anyone else, is actually upset that Peavy is pitching great the last couple of weeks or would rather see him fail because that would be a dumb thing to say. But you can't say anything now the same way it was ridiculous to overreact when he started the season like s***. Especially because he wasn't the only bad starter on this team at that point. Just the worst and not even by a whole lot.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
The point is you can't really say ANYTHING about the deal thus far.

ding ding ding. Come talk to me some time in 2011.

To follow up w/ the guy who posted Peavy's last 20.1 IP stats, look at his first 23.1

Like night and day

Peavy's first 23.1 IP

30 H, 23 ER, 18 BB, 16K, 8.87 ERA, 2.05 WHIP, 0.88 K/BB

Peavy's last 20.1 IP

9 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 23 K, 1.77 ERA, 0.59 WHIP, 7.66 K/BB

QUOTE (Real @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
To follow up w/ the guy who posted Peavy's last 20.1 IP stats, look at his first 23.1

Like night and day

Peavy's first 23.1 IP

30 H, 23 ER, 18 BB, 16K, 8.87 ERA, 2.05 WHIP, 0.88 K/BB

Peavy's last 20.1 IP

9 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 23 K, 1.77 ERA, 0.59 WHIP, 7.66 K/BB

Isn't it 3 ER in his last 20.1?

2 ER in 8 IP vs. the Blue Jays

0 ER in 7 IP vs. the Royals

1 ER in his last 5.1 IP vs the Rangers (He gave up 5 in the first, and then only 1 in his last 5.1 IP)

Would somebody explain to me why Ozzie left Peavy in for the 8th? He had thrown over 100 pitches through 7, and we had a 6 run lead, yet Ozzie decides to leave one of our most important assets out there for what ended up being 120 pitches in a game that was already over. I seriously wonder if Ozzie actually wants to be fired with the job he's done this season.

The game itself was awesome though, great one to be at other than the weather and Peavy's stuff was wicked.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Would somebody explain to me why Ozzie left Peavy in for the 8th? He had thrown over 100 pitches through 7, and we had a 6 run lead, yet Ozzie decides to leave one of our most important assets out there for what ended up being 120 pitches in a game that was already over. I seriously wonder if Ozzie actually wants to be fired with the job he's done this season.

The game itself was awesome though, great one to be at other than the weather and Peavy's stuff was wicked.

120 pitches isn't a crazy number. I would have taken him out but he didn't Dusty Baker him

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 9, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)

Didn't they just have an extra inning game?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:03 AM)
Nope, I will take 3 years of a proven winner (Albeit nothing yet in the playoffs) over 4 pitchers that have not proved anything yet.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
absolutely not. he's jake peavy, let's not lose sight of that fact.

All of this tells me it's a good deal. Whether the Sox win or not is irrelevant at this point in time. The package the Sox gave up for Jake Peavy is by absolutely no means impressive, and most of those guys would be afterthoughts in other organizations.

100 pitches? I think Peavy can handle that load for the money he's making.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
100 pitches? I think Peavy can handle that load for the money he's making.

Huh? He's our best pitcher (when right as he has been the last two times out), AND one of our more expensive investments. There is simply no excuse to leave him out there for 120 pitches when the game is already over. The "can handle that load for the money he's making" argument is dated and ridiculous. Arms have to be protected, it's not 1980 where you just keep guys out there forever.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 9, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Yeah, I saw a link to an article that claims the Pads already won the Jake Peavy trade... while this team surely misses CR, if you can trade an ok starter and two average-to-below average pen arms for a top of the rotation starter, you kind of have to make that trade.

I understand the cost issue, and that is a big deal, but tonight seems like it might be a pretty typical Peavy outing. Lots of k's, a couple solo dingers due to the park favoring hitters, and going deep into the game. I can live with that for 3 more years.

The cost issue is a HUGE deal. Especially, when we could have used that money to improve other areas on the team. If you wanted to deal with San Diego, a trade to get Kouzmanoff would have made more sense and would have cost less both in players surrendered and money.

It's good to know though, that we will have that #1 starter in Jake Peavy ready to go in game 1 of the playoffs.