Blue Jays @ White Sox - 1:05 CSN

As for the negative outlet excuse, that's bs guys. Grow the hell up. I'm a huge freaking fan too, but that doesn't mean I need to kick dogs and punch walls. It's perfectly natural to want to identify with other fans suffering through the same horrible baseball day in and day out, but the level of anger, frustration, forecasting of gloom and doom, calling out the same 3-4 players every single day, etc., has reached a point to where this is no longer a place to come and follow games. It's a place to come if you want to turn an otherwise happy day into a suicide watch.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the baseball season is a marathon. If you live and die with every single pitch, every single run, every Gordon strikeout, etc., you're all going to lose your minds. Certain people (and I do this myself, so don't take offense), need to step back and take a deep breath, put things in perspective, and realize this is just a baseball team that is struggling mightily right now. But it's NOT the end of the world, it's NOT life or death, it's NOT a friend or family member being sick. This is a GAME.

I love the game of baseball as much as anyone, and I love the Chicago White Sox as much as anyone, but we all have to get a grip. I don't think the actual players are as miserable as some of you are about this. Let's all step back and recognize what it is we have here - a baseball team that is vastly underperforming - ok, I accept that. Perhaps they are not as good as I had hoped. Perhaps they are not in the position to compete for the next few years as I had anticipated. So I must therefore reset my expectations. I must accept that they are going to struggle in this way. And now I will roll with that. I will not let it drive me crazy, I will not let it make me miserable, I will not let it impact my life in a significantly negative manner.

Everyone, take a deep breath. Step away from baseball. Go rent A Perfect Getaway, and enjoy the rest of your weekend before we all head back to the coal mines tomorrow.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Guess what pal, we have a team that maybe will finish 3rd in our division this year.

Watch all the games you want but they will continue to lose most of their games hence why we will not win this division.

Does your diehard fan'ism allow you to understand and comprehend?

Who said anything about worrying we're gonna win the division? I am content to see us win games period. Maybe you should check out some other site to hang out at, perhaps the Twins or D-Rays fan sites.

If you already know this team has no shot in hell to win the division, then why in god's name are you hanging around in game threads, where...you know, this '3rd place team at best's fans' sit and vent frustration about how we should be doing better but we aren't??

Are you a glutton for punishment? Do you enjoy sitting around and telling us how dumb we are for being upset at this team's performance?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. But notice I've been around these parts much longer than most people, I've been through plenty of Sox ups and downs here, if this type of message board commentating makes you sadface IRL, you have some SERIOUSLY bad days ahead of you.

Superb game by Rios.

Great game by TCQ

Good game from Nix.

I'm not suprised to see Jenks going down in flames. His numbers have been suggesting this for quite some time. Here's a new ad for Boyer:

White Sox Baseball 2010: What You Really Didn't See This Coming?

Maybe after this year it is time to finally DFA Jenks, he just doesn´t seem to have it any more. HIs ridiculous @ss theatrics of not nailing it down and either getting some one on or losing it are beyond old. Right now this team has so many holes you just can´t pin it all on Bobby. Don´t know anymore if a good lefty or righty big stick will turn it around. If we get swept in Minny which is highly likely it is getting into real danger zone to do something drastic. We have been screwing around with this losing formula now for almost 2 years. This lineup just can´t hit or compete with any consistancy. But where do you start?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Brandon Lyon's number in 2009 were way better than Jenks, and Jenks is making nearly 2x as much as Lyon.

Lyon's numbers weren't that much better. If you can sucker Ed Wade into giving Lyon three years, you can sucker him into taking Jenks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
As for the negative outlet excuse, that's bs guys. Grow the hell up. I'm a huge freaking fan too, but that doesn't mean I need to kick dogs and punch walls. It's perfectly natural to want to identify with other fans suffering through the same horrible baseball day in and day out, but the level of anger, frustration, forecasting of gloom and doom, calling out the same 3-4 players every single day, etc., has reached a point to where this is no longer a place to come and follow games. It's a place to come if you want to turn an otherwise happy day into a suicide watch.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but the baseball season is a marathon. If you live and die with every single pitch, every single run, every Gordon strikeout, etc., you're all going to lose your minds. Certain people (and I do this myself, so don't take offense), need to step back and take a deep breath, put things in perspective, and realize this is just a baseball team that is struggling mightily right now. But it's NOT the end of the world, it's NOT life or death, it's NOT a friend or family member being sick. This is a GAME.

I love the game of baseball as much as anyone, and I love the Chicago White Sox as much as anyone, but we all have to get a grip. I don't think the actual players are as miserable as some of you are about this. Let's all step back and recognize what it is we have here - a baseball team that is vastly underperforming - ok, I accept that. Perhaps they are not as good as I had hoped. Perhaps they are not in the position to compete for the next few years as I had anticipated. So I must therefore reset my expectations. I must accept that they are going to struggle in this way. And now I will roll with that. I will not let it drive me crazy, I will not let it make me miserable, I will not let it impact my life in a significantly negative manner.

Everyone, take a deep breath. Step away from baseball. Go rent A Perfect Getaway, and enjoy the rest of your weekend before we all head back to the coal mines tomorrow.

Lucky for you that you aren't a negative person then. I don't WANT to be, I just am.

In other news, every Rios AB seems to be successful, and Quentin ripped the ball today. IF we can get Beckham to move down the order and find his swing, and keep Teahen hitting, who knows.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
In other news, every Rios AB seems to be successful, and Quentin ripped the ball today. IF we can get Beckham to move down the order and find his swing, and keep Teahen hitting, who knows.

Not to nitpick, as I'm happy with the way Quentin looked. But "keep Teahen hitting"? Huh?

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)

Rios has been extremely impressive. Even better than I expected when we got him. I hope he keeps this up, the .300+ BA. Although, he does have a low OBP, but I guess that's alright if hes batting 5th.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
What hurts so damn much about this year is that this team could have won the division.

Could have won if they pitched well like they were supposed to. Could have won if Alex Rios hits. Could have won if they get production out of the DH spot.

They got the production from Rios and Jones. Konerko is killing the ball. But the pitching is mediocre at best and the back end of the bullpen has almost been disappointing outside of Thronton and Santos.

So we got what we wished for, but all the things we thought were fine clearly aren't.

This team wasn't going to win the division.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Who said anything about worrying we're gonna win the division? I am content to see us win games period. Maybe you should check out some other site to hang out at, perhaps the Twins or D-Rays fan sites.

If you already know this team has no shot in hell to win the division, then why in god's name are you hanging around in game threads, where...you know, this '3rd place team at best's fans' sit and vent frustration about how we should be doing better but we aren't??

Are you a glutton for punishment? Do you enjoy sitting around and telling us how dumb we are for being upset at this team's performance?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. But notice I've been around these parts much longer than most people, I've been through plenty of Sox ups and downs here, if this type of message board commentating makes you sadface IRL, you have some SERIOUSLY bad days ahead of you.

1. I'm a White Sox fan and I come here to post in game threads to follow and SUPPORT the team I cheer for.

2. I don't enjoy sitting here and telling you how dumb you are for being upset, I'm upset with this teams performance as well but I don't sit here stating the obvious how Gordon Beckham or Mark Kotsay suck, instead I rather remain optimistic and hope they figure it out soon. There are poster, that no matter if this team is winning or losing, come to game threads to spit in player faces.

3. I realize you're a retired Mod and been here around longer than most us, that's why it is surprising to see the lack of objectivity.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)

It needed a whole lot of "ifs" to win this division. With that said, no excuse for it to not be an above .500 team. That's not going to happen when you have about 1/5 of your roster playing to their potential.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
Not to nitpick, as I'm happy with the way Quentin looked. But "keep Teahen hitting"? Huh?

.230 is good for us at that position right now...though he is not doing much lately. Nix/Teahen platoon is about all we can do at 3rd isn't it? The backup that needs the most looking at is Castro.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Putz hasn't shown me anything either.

You have to say screw it with the LH/RH matchup for a week and give it to Thornton. He's the only one who's earned it. Him or Santos, and I'm not sure Santos is ready to take it yet

True about Putz, but he'd be Ozzie's first choice.

He's married to the LH/RH routine, so Thornton probably isn't happening. Especially since Williams has been so awful and he's the only other lefty in the 'pen.

Yeah, Santos would be my choice as well, but again, I agree with you that he's probably not ready yet.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
1. I'm a White Sox fan and I come here to post in game threads to follow and SUPPORT the team I cheer for.

2. I don't enjoy sitting here and telling you how dumb you are for being upset, I'm upset with this teams performance as well but I don't sit here stating the obvious how Gordon Beckham or Mark Kotsay suck, instead I rather remain optimistic and hope they figure it out soon. There are poster, that no matter if this team is winning or losing, come to game threads to spit in player faces.

3. I realize you're a retired Mod and been here around longer than most us, that's why it is surprising to see the lack of objectivity.

There's no one on this board that hopes Beckham turns it around more than I do. When we say he's playing terrible, it's with the hope that he turns it around. That's not true with all players, as there's guys we say suck, such as Williams, with the belief that he needs to be released.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)

So if Quentin and Beckham were hitting, the pitching is about as good as we thought it was going to be, and we get production out of Rios and Jones, along with the start from Konerko, you don't think we'd be around first place right now? I sure do.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
It needed a whole lot of "ifs" to win this division. With that said, no excuse for it to not be an above .500 team. That's not going to happen when you have about 1/5 of your roster playing to their potential.

Fathom and I just agreed, although I think it's closer to 2/5.

On paper this team should at least have been a .500 team. I

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)

Go look back and see what my ratio of good/bad posts are in gamethreads. I'm not as negative as you seem to think I am. Yes, I call Kotsay Flopsay because I feel that it was an awful, awful decision to bring him back. I'm one of the few who actually backed Pierre, despite how dreadful he has started this season. There is no one player, save Scott Podsednik when he was a Sox player, that I've harped on and constantly berated, ever. Not many of the negative posters can claim that on here.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Go look back and see what my ratio of good/bad posts are in gamethreads. I'm not as negative as you seem to think I am. Yes, I call Kotsay Flopsay because I feel that it was an awful, awful decision to bring him back. I'm one of the few who actually backed Pierre, despite how dreadful he has started this season. There is no one player, save Scott Podsednik when he was a Sox player, that I've harped on and constantly berated, ever. Not many of the negative posters can claim that on here.

I'm no where trying to call you out, but there are posters here who are negative no matter if we are winning or losing, and some others don't participate in discussion UNLESS we are losing and then they come out to add fuel to the fire.

Both of these I think are destructive and tiring.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
I'm no where trying to call you out, but there are posters here who are negative no matter if we are winning or losing, and some others don't participate in discussion UNLESS we are losing and then they come out to add fuel to the fire.

Both of these I think are destructive and tiring.

I'm usually only overly negative while the games are on. When I don't have to watch them suck, I can be a little more level-headed.

All I want, honestly, is for a majority of this roster to play up to their abilities. IF even 75% do, I still feel like we can give Minnesota a challenge for the division.

Does that mean we'll win it? Not necessarily, but it will make for a damn fun summer for everyone on this forum.