Gordon Beckham: What To Do?

fathom

As "Slayer's" biggest fan on this site, I think it's obvious he needs to get sent down to AAA. He's shown absolutely no signs of breaking out of his month long slump, and you can really see the frustration in his body language on the field and in the dugout. I don't even care about how his performance is hurting the team right now, as this season is looking like a long shot. It's vitally important for this franchise that Beckham is a productive starting 2nd baseman for years to come, and he needs to go back to the minors and regain his confidence. As someone else said in the game thread, maybe a few new voices from the Charlotte hitting coach will help him out. I really respect how Ozzie has handled Beckham's struggles this season, FWIW

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 9, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
As "Slayer's" biggest fan on this site, I think it's obvious he needs to get sent down to AAA. He's shown absolutely no signs of breaking out of his month long slump, and you can really see the frustration in his body language on the field and in the dugout. I don't even care about how his performance is hurting the team right now, as this season is looking like a long shot. It's vitally important for this franchise that Beckham is a productive starting 2nd baseman for years to come, and he needs to go back to the minors and regain his confidence. As someone else said in the game thread, maybe a few new voices from the Charlotte hitting coach will help him out. I really respect how Ozzie has handled Beckham's struggles this season, FWIW

completely agree. i love beckham, love the "only 59 minor league games" story, but i think he needs to go down to a low pressure situation and clear his head for a week or two.

I wouldn't be opposed to a minor league stint (Nix is a fine replacement). I also wouldn't be opposed to just dropping him down in the order, though.

Edit: you're totally right, though, he needs to get the pressure off him, and BAD. I have no doubt he'll be a fine player this season but he's gotta get out of his own head.

Edited by ScottyDo

I'm in favor of a month long stint in AAA.

But I'll give him until June 1st. Maybe move him down in the order from now until then to see if that helps him out, if not send him down and hope he can mash after the ASB....

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Send down Beckham, bringup Hudson, send Freddy to the bullpen.

When Becks comes back, say farewell to Randy Williams.

The Sox really don't need 13 pitchers. The offense is terrible. You bring up another hitter just to hope they can catch fire for a month and help win a game or two.

What player would you promote?

There's really no young guy in AAA hitting-wise that they'd want to bring up before their arb clock time in June just to sit them on the bench; and if you bring up a journeyman, you can lose him to waivers or release.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
What player would you promote?

There's really no young guy in AAA hitting-wise that they'd want to bring up before their arb clock time in June just to sit them on the bench; and if you bring up a journeyman, you can lose him to waivers or release.

Retherford. Lillibridge. Robert Hudson. It doesn't really matter whether or not a journeyman is claimed on waivers or released (whichever journeyman would be called up signed their contract fully knowing they were going to be playing in the minor leagues), and both Lillibridge and Retherford have options left.

Personally, I'd probably go with Retherford just because he has shown some pop in the minors before. He's not hitting well right now, but he's got the most offensive upside of those middle infielders in Charlotte.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:37 PM)
What about De Aza?

He'd be a real spark off of the bench for bunting and pinch running.

Then our only backup IF would be Omar Vizquel.

Besides, De Aza's been hitting .238 in Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Then our only backup IF would be Omar Vizquel.

Just how many times has Nix been useful this year other than the occasional start? We don't need a second middle infielder, especially when Vizquel plays three infield positions.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
What about De Aza?

He'd be a real spark off of the bench for bunting and pinch running.

He hasn't played in a week, left the game last Sunday halfway through.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 9, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
Drop him down in the order for three weeks. If that doesn't cut it, let him play in AAA, and make Nix the starter.

^^^^^

this. I don't think he per se needs to be sent down for a slump. move him down and take some pressure off. If it continues...then absolutely. The thing about Beckham has always been his confidence. I remember havin' a quick chat with him when he was in the fall league and he said he expected to be called up last season (not his exact words)...but the thing I'm afraid of is killing his confidence completely. It's worked with some guys tho I guess...but it seems Gordo is a different animal.