Gordon Beckham: What To Do?

fathom

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
I hope its a slump but i am not positive about that yet. A lot of guys have had first year success and then ended up never matching it again. I think Coghlan could be one of those guys.

Just bring in Hrniak and see if he can help Gordon or CQ. Either they are not listening to the current voice, or the current voice is not fixing the issue. Stone keeps talking about a specific way they are pitching Gordon, and we see quotes about everything is fine with Gordon's swing its just a mental battle. Whatever, at the point we have 3 young players and all are not hitting. If you are not replacing Walk then bring him in some help.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 20, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Just bring in Hrniak and see if he can help Gordon or CQ. Either they are not listening to the current voice, or the current voice is not fixing the issue. Stone keeps talking about a specific way they are pitching Gordon, and we see quotes about everything is fine with Gordon's swing its just a mental battle. Whatever, at the point we have 3 young players and all are not hitting. If you are not replacing Walk then bring him in some help.

I haven't watched GB closely in a few days, especially since he's had days off, but a couple weeks ago, yeah his swing was legitimately screwed up, in a technical sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
I haven't watched GB closely in a few days, especially since he's had days off, but a couple weeks ago, yeah his swing was legitimately screwed up, in a technical sense.

Beckham's problems now are almost certainly mental, hitting coach Greg Walker said.

''It has been all along,'' Walker said. ''His swing is pretty simple. It's a mind thing. He's put himself in a position where he's worrying about what he's doing wrong instead of concentrating on what he does right.''

Walker said he saw Beckham's problems beginning in spring training.

''He came into spring really hot,'' Walker said, ''which shows he's pretty darn good. Then I saw he started thinking about the pitches he was missing. If you concentrate on the negatives, it'll eat you up.''

''Everyone was saying last year, 'What's wrong with Rios' swing?' It was a mental thing, like this,'' Walker said.

Rios's struggles last year was not a mental issue. There is a noted difference in the swing. If Beckham's troubles are only mental then why is he spread stance being tried. Its not just mental. Its something else. Even Stoney is pointing out that they are attacking him differently and he is not adjusting to it.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 20, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
Rios's struggles last year was not a mental issue. There is a noted difference in the swing. If Beckham's troubles are only mental then why is he spread stance being tried. Its not just mental. Its something else. Even Stoney is pointing out that they are attacking him differently and he is not adjusting to it.

About 2-3 weeks ago it was obvious on air that Beckham was flying open on everything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
About 2-3 weeks ago it was obvious on air that Beckham was flying open on everything.

It's so true, and Beckham has grounded out weakly to the pitcher it seems so often this year. Even the drive to right field last night wasn't a very smooth swing. If you want a fun promotion, just tell everyone to go down the right field line when Beckham is batting, and all 250 people at the game will catch a fly ball. He has probably driven fewer than 5 line drives to left field all season.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 20, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)

Its obvious to me he is trying to cover for the kid. He wants him to keep it simple and to not worry about his swing right now. There is a mental aspect to it.

Since the season will likely be over at this time next month, I wouldn't bother sending him down. Let the kid take his lumps and learn how to make adjustments at the ML-level.

Given that the way that he hit early last summer and the maturity that he displayed at age 22, I'm not worried about him at all. He's going to be an All Star-caliber player in a couple of years.

Edited by WCSox

Since the season will likely be over at this time next month, I wouldn't bother sending him down. Let the kid take his lumps and learn how to make adjustments at the ML-level.

Well said, How could anybody argue with that?

Isn't it amazing how in the last 2 years we never have had a significant winning streak? Even if we started playing winning baseball, it'd take us to the all-star break probably just to reach .500.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Well said, How could anybody argue with that?

Because some people, if left in the major leagues without a lifejacket, will drown in a pool of self pity and shot confidence. I don't think Gordon is somebody like that (although he seems just dead in terms of confidence right now), so I can understand leaving him up, but if he was sent down, I wouldn't argue it either.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Because some people, if left in the major leagues without a lifejacket, will drown in a pool of self pity and shot confidence. I don't think Gordon is somebody like that (although he seems just dead in terms of confidence right now), so I can understand leaving him up, but if he was sent down, I wouldn't argue it either.

Demoting Beckham to the minors may shatter his confidence more than keeping him in the bigs. At the very least, keeping him in Chicago is a vote of confidence in his ability to rebound.

That said, I'm only in favor of this because (1) there's nobody available in-house to replace him and (2) the organization's priority will likely change from winning to development in about a month.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 21, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Demoting Beckham to the minors may shatter his confidence more than keeping him in the bigs. At the very least, keeping him in Chicago is a vote of confidence in his ability to rebound.

That said, I'm only in favor of this because (1) there's nobody available in-house to replace him and (2) the organization's priority will likely change from winning to development in about a month.

This is a big issue with sending him down, cause I'm sure Ozzie would just throw Vizquel out there everyday if Beckham was gone.

Isn't it amazing how in the last 2 years we never have had a significant winning streak? Even if we started playing winning baseball, it'd take us to the all-star break probably just to reach .500.

Yup. I noticed that too. It seems like we've had the same team for the past three years. Weird.