1. 1. Do you use....

• Cable service
    • DSL
    • Dial up
    • "Borrow" the neighbor's wi-fi signal
    • 3G/data card
    • Satellite dish
    • other (please specify)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
I'm currently using AT&T DSL and they blow.

We had AT&T DSL than switched to the U-Verse cable wifi. It's much better.

Edited by Brian

You left off fiber, fiber > cable. I have Verizon and I am on 25 mpbs, the difference is the upload speed is also 25 mpbs. Why a home user would need more than that is beyond me actually.

What's taking AT&T so long to get Uverse out?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
U-Verse Internet is technically still DSL I thought. Am I wrong?

The wifi I have from them goes through the cable. Thought DSL was phone line signal.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
You left off fiber, fiber > cable. I have Verizon and I am on 25 mpbs, the difference is the upload speed is also 25 mpbs. Why a home user would need more than that is beyond me actually.

I totally agree. 25 megabits is more than enough to stream 1080p HD video. With a 25 megabit, you can download one 3 megabyte file a SECOND.

This is actually a big topic for me right now since my fiance and I are moving out of the city and have to decide what to get. We currently have RCN. They were fine until recently when we had a few nights without cable, and the internet has been really spotty during peak times (the 5mbps service).

I'm looking to get away from RCN if at all possible. Comcast is so over priced it's ridiculous. 50% off for 6 months and then they jack up the price, not to mention all the "extras" (hd service, dvr, etc) are all more than everyone else.

I'd love to get DirecTV (my preference), but then I'd be forced to get slow (3mbps) DSL for 50 bucks a month.

The only other option is AT&T Uverse, which I guess is a decent deal. Good channel selection, 6mbps internet, HD/DVR service (and 3 extra HD recievers...all hooked up to the same DVR). My only question is since it basically creates it's own network, if my fiance is watching a DVR program in one room (using bandwidth), and I'm playing Xbox or watching TV in the other, how much does that slow down our interent? Anyone with Uverse have these issues?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 11, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I'm looking to get away from RCN if at all possible. Comcast is so over priced it's ridiculous. 50% off for 6 months and then they jack up the price, not to mention all the "extras" (hd service, dvr, etc) are all more than everyone else.

As soon as your "special rate" expires, call them and cancel because its too expensive. They will give you another half off deal for the next year again. Been working that for over 4 years now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
Fiber optic doesn't go through a phone line... it's its own thing. Actually the phone line and the coax line come from the same box.

Insert southsideirish at some point in this thread

LOL

The simple answer is sure, Fiber > Coaxial Cable. However all things are not simple when it comes to broadband. In the end, due to costs and as frequencies start to open up my personal opinion is that wireless technologies such as WiMax or LTE or Wifi will wind up providing the last mile of service some day. The problem is costs, flexibility and sheer time to provision physical medium services will prove to be a waste at some point. Right now, from a user standpoint there isn't a whole lot of differences between current speeds of cable/FiOS ( Fiber to the prem ), and UVerse ( Fiber to the block ). As far as how they provision stuff and the future of what they can do, thats a whole different animal.

UVerse uses VDSL2 as its technology. Fiber is pulled into these large cabinets call VRADs. These VRADS take a while to provision, lots of power and some space. Once a VRAD becomes operational then it uses either the existing phone copper or a WiFi signal as the last mile. Everything in UVerse transmits over IP including the TV signal which is based on IPTV.

FiOS on the other hand is fiber to the house. Services are provisioned over separate wavelengths in the optical spectrum. Here TV is provisioned over its own wavelength and uses more traditional protocols. Only on demand is run over IPTV. The fiber is singlemode fiber which is lit to the block and then split to 32 nodes on the block.

Cable, cable uses coax as the medium and the signal is split amongst frequencies transmitted over this medium. DOCIS 3.0 allows for high speed signalling over and utilizes DOCIS 3.0