1. 1. Do you use....

• Cable service
    • DSL
    • Dial up
    • "Borrow" the neighbor's wi-fi signal
    • 3G/data card
    • Satellite dish
    • other (please specify)

One of the things that they are really trying to do is find more bandwidth with cable. They're running out. The VDSL2 is a technology that heavily compresses video signal, but the converters should compensate.

You cannot get a better signal then the FIOS because it's all fiber and no old technology. But at some point Verizon is going to lose their ass on it because it is very cost prohibitive. Once the depreciation on the plant wears off, unless they have a whole s***load more subscribers, I can't see where they can remain viable.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 11, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
One of the things that they are really trying to do is find more bandwidth with cable. They're running out. The VDSL2 is a technology that heavily compresses video signal, but the converters should compensate.

You cannot get a better signal then the FIOS because it's all fiber and no old technology. But at some point Verizon is going to lose their ass on it because it is very cost prohibitive. Once the depreciation on the plant wears off, unless they have a whole s***load more subscribers, I can't see where they can remain viable.

Compression is always the providers answer to getting more channels over the existing last mile provisioning. Compression however becomes costly from a quality standpoint with all of the HD channels. The HD signals really are going to cause chaos with the available signaling in the cable plant. FiOS use of the three wavelengths to provision their service as well as providing native RF signaling instead of IPTV gives them the greatest room for growth for HD. The problem with Verizon is its hard to grow with such a large cost for new subscribers.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 11, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
Compression is always the providers answer to getting more channels over the existing last mile provisioning. Compression however becomes costly from a quality standpoint with all of the HD channels. The HD signals really are going to cause chaos with the available signaling in the cable plant. FiOS use of the three wavelengths to provision their service as well as providing native RF signaling instead of IPTV gives them the greatest room for growth for HD. The problem with Verizon is its hard to grow with such a large cost for new subscribers.

Exactly. I know what it costs for the plant. Very, very well. That was my job. And I also know what they do to try and compensate.

Most people won't know the difference. They turn on U-Verse HD and it looks decent... I know what to look for, though. And the HD quality of Uverse is a lot worse then cable. Uverse

However, I do know that Uverse is also trying to change their technology a bit. I think they should have done so before they rolled out, but they were in a race to try to capture homes passed so they could drive their subs up. Now, they have to go back and spend more money to do it right.

Cable - one of the first things that Time Warner did when they came into this market was upgrade the plant. But the problem with cable is that they run the signal through the nodes and you can have some heavy hitters on a node, and the node on the next block will be hit a lot less, but that's the breaks. They were working on controlling that, but they really have a hard time with that. They were trying to split the nodes to address this problem, but they can't totally compensate for it, so you have a degraded signal in one neighborhood as compared to another. Again, most common people don't notice it, but it does happen.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 11, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Exactly. I know what it costs for the plant. Very, very well. That was my job. And I also know what they do to try and compensate.

Most people won't know the difference. They turn on U-Verse HD and it looks decent... I know what to look for, though. And the HD quality of Uverse is a lot worse then cable. Uverse

However, I do know that Uverse is also trying to change their technology a bit. I think they should have done so before they rolled out, but they were in a race to try to capture homes passed so they could drive their subs up. Now, they have to go back and spend more money to do it right.

Cable - one of the first things that Time Warner did when they came into this market was upgrade the plant. But the problem with cable is that they run the signal through the nodes and you can have some heavy hitters on a node, and the node on the next block will be hit a lot less, but that's the breaks. They were working on controlling that, but they really have a hard time with that. They were trying to split the nodes to address this problem, but they can't totally compensate for it, so you have a degraded signal in one neighborhood as compared to another. Again, most common people don't notice it, but it does happen.

I have been working with some ATT engineers provisioning a new OC-12 for my datacenter. One of them stated that they are working hard on another medium for the last mile. Wifi /LTE/Wimax are being investigated due to the last mile issues and the cost of having to replace substandard copper at the prem.

The poll finally loaded. :lolhitting

Actually I was the first in my neighborhood for Roadrunner at 5Mps about 10 years ago. Sadly, at my new place, I will be tied to DSL at 3Mps until they upgrade service in about 6 months. Then they are promising 25Mps. Brand f***ing new construction but we are tied to the 5 year old development behind us.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 11, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)

Yep. In fact, when still on analog about 5-10 years back, in my area, channels 5 and 7 on Comcast would be completely blurry. I thought it was just my house, but then I went to several friends' houses in the same area, and it happened with every one of them for all of their tv's. Same lines and broken signal for those channels for almost every household. Only way around it seemed to be an amplifier from what I heard.

Uverse in terms of Internet isn't bad. My gf has it and it gets the same constant speeds. She hasn't had a drop yet and she's had it for about 6 or 7 months. I will say their HD is not as good as Comcast's, but it is still pretty good and I don't think the average viewer can spot the difference.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 12, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Yep. In fact, when still on analog about 5-10 years back, in my area, channels 5 and 7 on Comcast would be completely blurry. I thought it was just my house, but then I went to several friends' houses in the same area, and it happened with every one of them for all of their tv's. Same lines and broken signal for those channels for almost every household. Only way around it seemed to be an amplifier from what I heard.

Uverse in terms of Internet isn't bad. My gf has it and it gets the same constant speeds. She hasn't had a drop yet and she's had it for about 6 or 7 months. I will say their HD is not as good as Comcast's, but it is still pretty good and I don't think the average viewer can spot the difference.

You do/should cycle Uverse modems about once a month.

Of course, I have a router behind the modem (that was a b****, but I did get it). That helps.

AT&T f*** them already. They want me to gain access to my neighbor's yard for them to go hook up! Seriously wtf?? Direct couldn't find my house even though my next door neighbor has Direct. 0-3 in utilities, the stench of Sox is starting to take over the new house.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 14, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
AT&T f*** them already. They want me to gain access to my neighbor's yard for them to go hook up! Seriously wtf?? Direct couldn't find my house even though my next door neighbor has Direct. 0-3 in utilities, the stench of Sox is starting to take over the new house.

They want YOU to gain access to your neighbor's yard? Last time I checked, there should have been utility domain, and that's their job.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
They want YOU to gain access to your neighbor's yard? Last time I checked, there should have been utility domain, and that's their job.

It's AT&T. They're probably trying to wiretap his neighbor.

Yep. My gf was on the phone holding for 24 minutes and was cut off. Then when I went to call at 4:55 they were closed until Monday. Good thing my neighbor has an open network. Nice welcomeing gift lol

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 15, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)

I always wondered how utility companies can bury cables so neatly. When Verizon did it the only reason I know they had been there was because I had orange lines spraypainted on my lawn. I know where the main line is (runs behind my row of houses) and you could see where some of the grass was missing while they installed that) but once that was down, when they ran lines to the houses, you didn't see any disruption in the surface at all.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
I love Comcast's quality and speed, but they are too expensive.

Two words: "Retention Department"

Call up, ask for that, tell them that Direct TV has made you a nice offer but you'd prefer to not have to switch, but you will unless they lower your bill.

We have 3 hd boxes, internet, HBO, all that stuff and pay $105 per month total on a 12 month contract.

Edited by Steve9347

We'll see how AT&T does today. After two missed appointments and requesting that I gain them access to their easement in a neighbor's yard, they are suppose to be out this afternoon.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Two words: "Retention Department"

Call up, ask for that, tell them that Direct TV has made you a nice offer but you'd prefer to not have to switch, but you will unless they lower your bill.

We have 3 hd boxes, internet, HBO, all that stuff and pay $105 per month total on a 12 month contract.

FTW, been doing that for over 4 years now

For my new house I ended up going with ATT's uverse internet (12mbps) and I'll eventually grab DirecTV. In the end it's probably going to cost me an extra 5-10 bucks than just going with Comcast, RCN, or ATT for everything, but I think I'm getting a better cable package and better internet speed for the price. Hopefully I don't have issues with ATT like Tex is having.

One thing that pissed me off about ATT was the installation fee. $150 bucks. If i got cable through them, they waive it. I complained that I'm a wireless customer, and have been for the last 7-8 years. I semi-threatened to leave since they weren't making me happy, but they still didn't budge. Gave me a whole "the Uverse is a seperate division from wireless. We can't do any cross incentives" schpeel.

• 2 weeks later...