Sox sign Alan Embree

hawksox13

The White Sox signed Alan Embree to a minor league deal. Does this indictate that Thorton will be made the closer and Embree will be that second situational left hander for the Sox? Possibly meaning Jenks is getting dealt? Or is it just insurance in case Williams gets any worse....if that's possible.

It was on www.mlbtraderumors.com (sorry, I don't know how to make the link active. I know, I know)

Edited by hawksox13

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Why? Randy Williams, thats why

Embree had a 5.84 ERA in Colorado last year in 24 innings. Lefties put up a nearly .900 OPS against him. He was actually more effective against RHP than LHP.

Out of that, I'll stick with Williams for now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Really, you're going to complain about guys on minor league deals going to Charlotte?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
Embree had a 5.84 ERA in Colorado last year in 24 innings. Lefties put up a nearly .900 OPS against him. He was actually more effective against RHP than LHP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 11, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)

the weird thing about Embree is he still alternates good and bad years. I remember when the Sox had him last time, he sucked hardcore. Then he went to the Red Sox and again became a premier LOOGY

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 11, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Why waste money just to waste money? Sure it's not much money but he doesn't fit into any plans.

He's a lefty with a pulse and our current LOOGY is Randy Williams, that's why. Plus, parent organizations have obligations to try and field repsectable farm teams as well. AAA signings have to happen, this one just so happens to involve a player with an outside shot of seeing time in Chciago.

Its real simple.

Williams is not pitching well. Threets is on the DL. The only lefty at Charlotte right now that is healthy is Whisler, who is sporting a 7.43 ERA and has already given up 3 HR in 16 IP. The organization needs lefty depth, in case Williams continues to struggle, and Charlotte has a spot open for such a person. Embree has had successful years, and is worth a shot.

Truly this is nothing to get worked up about.