Sox sign Alan Embree

hawksox13

I didn't vomit or bang my head against my desk when I saw this signing, and I actually said, "Okay, it sorta makes sense." It makes sense because of two words: Randy Williams. Embree could be (and I stress the word could) the Embree that pitched for the Red Sox after pitching for the White Sox. It's doubtful, but this is a signing that shouldn't cause any headaches or heartaches.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my biggest question on this signing was whether or not it may have been a sign or clue that something bigger and more concrete than just giving Bobby a couple of days off from the closer role was coming. Thorton to close, Jenks to be dealt? I was just thinking if you move Thorton to closer, you are taking a lefty arm away from situations other than closing, so maybe Embree was going to be brought up to Chicago to work Thorton's role. Trading Jenks would create a bullpen spot. It doesn't seem anyone is thinking that way so this doesn't appear to be anything major, maybe just AAA help/MLB back up plan for Williams.

I'm getting close to thinking it's best for the organization to trade Bobby for prospects, make Thorton the closer, trade A.J. for prospects and bring Flowers up to catch, trade Konerko to a contender (if he'll waive his no trade) for prospects, get rid of Freddy and let Hudson come up and get some experience, trade Pierre if anyone will have him, possibly even trade Andruw Jones (even though it's a cheap contract, why not let a top prospect get MLB experience) for a prospect and bring up Danks to get some MLB experience.

In short, completely blow this thing up. I'd have to think a Konerko rental to a contending team could bring in a pretty good prospect. I'm not sure what Bobby would be worth at this point, but getting his money off the books for this year and next (he'll probably get nearly $8 million in arbitration) may be good enough. A.J. may only bring in a mid level prospect, same with Jones if you could even get that, but it's all about positioning for the future. It's sad to say, but this team isn't going anywhere. Keep the nucleus together (Rios, Beckham, Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Teahen, Ramirez, Thorton, Santos) and build from there. This got way off track, but that's just the way I'm feeling about this team.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 11, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
I guess my biggest question on this signing was whether or not it may have been a sign or clue that something bigger and more concrete than just giving Bobby a couple of days off from the closer role was coming.

Charlotte had an open roster spot after Cassel and De Aza went to the DL, and Erick Threets, who was the LH setup man, is also on the DL.

Trading Jenks right now would have been like trading in your whole portfolio when the market was cratering for one or two days over freaking Greece debt issues.

Simply illogical to sell as low as possible on him and panic. There's zero reason to force our hand to do so.

Embree replacing Williams or backing up as LHR/loogy and pushing Thornton to closer is definitely NOT that reason to move Jenks, that much is for certain.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
Embree has been assigned to Charlotte.

Probably to get his arm back to strength and I would not be surprised if he isn't waiting in the wings in case the Sopx make moves to the big roster

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
Trading Jenks right now would have been like trading in your whole portfolio when the market was cratering for one or two days over freaking Greece debt issues.

Simply illogical to sell as low as possible on him and panic. There's zero reason to force our hand to do so.

Embree replacing Williams or backing up as LHR/loogy and pushing Thornton to closer is definitely NOT that reason to move Jenks, that much is for certain.

I can appreciate your raitionale, but I think Jenks is on the market and has been

This is the same move the Sox made in 2007 when they signed Jeff Nelson, but they gave Nelson more money. Its really nothing to be pissed or excited about. He pitches in Charlotte, if he shows he's better than Randy Williams he comes up, if he doesn't, he won't last the season with the Knights.

I don't think anyone's gonna want Bobby. Who would want him? He's currently in Todd Jones/Brad Lidge territory.

I think the Sox got Embree to either replace Williams or to be another lefty in the bullpen if Thornton becomes the closer. I have no idea who would lose their spot in the bullpen besides Williams, though.

Anyone hear Stoney last night? He explained it in one sentence...if you can stay healthy and throw with your left arm, you are going to have a long career in this league. Notice, he didn't say, throw WELL with that left arm.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Title of thread should be:

Soxtalk poster starts thread about minor league signing.....Why?

I guess minor league signings aren't discussed at Soxtalk, huh? The purpose of a message board is to allow fans to discuss/debate issues relative to the team they follow. If you don't think this topic is worth discussing then just don't get involved Rock. No need to be a smart ass or try to be funny (at which you failed). Perhaps you can just monitor what's posted and then delete all topics that don't interest you?

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
I guess minor league signings aren't discussed at Soxtalk, huh? The purpose of a message board is to allow fans to discuss/debate issues relative to the team they follow. If you don't think this topic is worth discussing then just don't get involved Rock. No need to be a smart ass or try to be funny (at which you failed). Perhaps you can just monitor what's posted and then delete all topics that don't interest you?

Actually it should be in the Minor League Thread. If hes called up to the Sox then its important to talk about in the White Sox forum.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Actually it should be in the Minor League Thread. If hes called up to the Sox then its important to talk about in the White Sox forum.

Agreed.

This thread would have been perfect in the catch all thread on the futuresox board.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)

My question involved in my original post was whether or not this had any upcoming implications on moves the Sox may or may not make, thus making it an appropriate topic for the major league board. Sorry if I'm mistaken here. Move it if you'd like. It really won't upset me too much.

All I'm saying is Rock doesn't need to be an ass about it. That's part of the reason I don't post on message boards often because people are always so smart and tough over the internet. I thought the topic may interest some Sox fans, I posted it. People who want to read it and respond can, others who it doesn't interest so much can just stay away from the topic. Not sure what the big deal is.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
My question involved in my original post was whether or not this had any upcoming implications on moves the Sox may or may not make, thus making it an appropriate topic for the major league board. Sorry if I'm mistaken here. Move it if you'd like. It really won't upset me too much.

All I'm saying is Rock doesn't need to be an ass about it. That's part of the reason I don't post on message boards often because people are always so smart and tough over the internet. I thought the topic may interest some Sox fans, I posted it. People who want to read it and respond can, others who it doesn't interest so much can just stay away from the topic. Not sure what the big deal is.

Yes, very tough. Also lacking on message boards are people with an actual sense of humor.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)

It didnt upset me much, but saying in the thread title the Sox signed Embree does hint towards a ML deal, not a MiL one. Also, I would just post this in the catch all thread as it isnt much. If there was a thread or topic on Randy I would include this here, but personally I dont see it deserving its own thread. The news probably has a .5% chance of actually impacting the sox in my mind. If Williams fails, I dont see Embree really taking his place. I see another move coming first unless Embree is stellar at Charlotte, and that is improbable.

Not trying to knock you at all, just personal suggestions.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
It didnt upset me much, but saying in the thread title the Sox signed Embree does hint towards a ML deal, not a MiL one. Also, I would just post this in the catch all thread as it isnt much. If there was a thread or topic on Randy I would include this here, but personally I dont see it deserving its own thread. The news probably has a .5% chance of actually impacting the sox in my mind. If Williams fails, I dont see Embree really taking his place. I see another move coming first unless Embree is stellar at Charlotte, and that is improbable.

Not trying to knock you at all, just personal suggestions.

I gotcha. Those are some good points you make. And I have to agree with you, there isn't much of a chance that this actually ends up affecting the Sox one way or another so it probably should have just been put in one of the catch all threads. My bad.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
I gotcha. Those are some good points you make. And I have to agree with you, there isn't much of a chance that this actually ends up affecting the Sox one way or another so it probably should have just been put in one of the catch all threads. My bad.

No worries.

• 3 weeks later...