Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Deplorable

It is amazing how bad of a call that was.

It would be nice to one day get a break from the ref. Seems like the ball never bounces our way.

Too much emotions today. I'm dead tired.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah, but at this point I think you just have to assume US is in with a win, not with anything else. Placing doesn't matter either, with Group D in chaos. I think it'll be much easier playing an Algerian side with nothing to play for than one with hopes of advancing. You could always see them putting guys forward to expose our weak D.

I think it's pretty reasonable to believe that Slovenia could tie England so no offense but I'm rooting like hell for Algeria in this game.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
I think it's pretty reasonable to believe that Slovenia could tie England so no offense but I'm rooting like hell for Algeria in this game.

Slovenia is one of the biggest minnows of the entire tournament. I don't think they have much a shot at getting a result at all, but who knows with how England is playing now. Either way it shouldn't matter. US just has to play like their capable of playing.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
It was a deplorable call...but you know what...don't go down 2-0 in the first half.

I hate these types of posts implying the US shouldn't have put themselves in that position. The US had already come back to tie it and had a victory stolen from them by the ref. They did what they needed to do to win plain and simple.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Slovenia is one of the biggest minnows of the entire tournament. I don't think they have much a shot at getting a result at all, but who knows with how England is playing now. Either way it shouldn't matter. US just has to play like their capable of playing.

I know they finished 2nd in a very weak group, but they still beat Russia and qualified out of UEFA, the toughest confederation in the world. They don't have the talent that England does, but I don't see how you can say they have no chance to get any kind of result vs. England.

So now a US win and we are for sure in right? Am I mistaken?

England & USA win, US & England advance. Goal Differential will be the 1st tiebreaker to see who the top dog is. Next one would be goals scored (US currently has a 2 goal advantage on them in this area).

England loses, US wins; US advances as the 2 seed; Slovenia earns 1 seed.

Everyone in this bracket is still alive. And 3 of the teams still have a shot at the top seed.

Won't be an easy game against Algeria, but the US is fully capable of doing this and earning a 1 seed. Lets kick some ass USA!!!!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
England ties with Algeria.

Looks like a win over Algeria won't be easy.

U.S. still very much alive.

Can you imagine the crap the British tabloids will put on this English team?

A 0 to 0 tie was the best result we could have hoped for. Win and we advance with a pretty good chance at winning the group as well. We now even have a shot at advancing with a draw(hopefully it doesn't come to that though).

If USA beats Algeria, US advances.

IF USA ties Algeria:

& England beats Slovenia, US is out

& Slovenia beats England, US advances

& England ties Slovenia:

if England doesn't outscore US by more than 1 goal on Wed., US advances

if England outscores US by more than 2 goals on Wed., England advances

if England outscores US by exactly 2 goals on Wed., then they draw lots for 2nd place in the group

If Algeria beats USA, then US is out

Does that sound right?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Best possible result for us as now we own the tiebreaker over England.

Are you sure? Isn't goal differential first so that is still up for grab. But if it goes to 2nd tie-breaker than we are set?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
So now a US win and we are for sure in right? Am I mistaken?

England & USA win, US & England advance. Goal Differential will be the 1st tiebreaker to see who the top dog is. Next one would be goals scored (US currently has a 2 goal advantage on them in this area).

England loses, US wins; US advances as the 2 seed; Slovenia earns 1 seed.

Correct.

Now if the US ties and England/Slovenia tie then we still have a pretty good shot at advancing because of the 2 extra goals we've scored in comparison to England at this point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)

IF USA ties Algeria:

& England ties Slovenia:

if England outscores US by exactly 2 goals on Wed., then they draw lots for 2nd place in the group

Does that sound right?

If England ties slovania and the US ties, than it depends on the total number of goals. Right now we have a 2 goal cushion on them, given that we have scored 3 goals to there 1 goal.

So if both US and England tie the next game, as long as England doesn't outscore us by 3 or more goals in the final game, we'd advance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

IF USA ties Algeria:

& England ties Slovenia:

Does that sound right?

Exactly right. Well done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
If England ties slovania and the US ties, than it depends on the total number of goals. Right now we have a 2 goal cushion on them, given that we have scored 3 goals to there 1 goal.

So if both US and England tie the next game, as long as England doesn't outscore us by 3 or more goals in the final game, we'd advance.

If they outscore us by 2 we'd have the same amount of goals so we'd draw lots, he's right.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
I honestly think hiring Capello was death to English football, they look just like Italy.

They definitely were bad, but Italy is defensive in style. The English players were just tentative near the goal. I could count on two hands the number of times they should have taken shots and passed. Let's also not forget the staggering number of awful passes. Algeria dominated the 1st half and was strong enough on defense to hold out, a lot of credit to them.

US controls their destiny, hard to complain about that. If the US can't beat Algeria to get in the 2nd round, they don't deserve it and that's after believing they were a strong side today against England. This is a great opportunity for the Americans to accomplishment the rare feat of advancing to round 2.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)

They're like 25th in the world. Not even close to minnows. They've got quality players.

Quite an experience watching that game in a packed British Pub in London and seeing the mood of people just go downhill as each minute passed.

Rooney was terrible, and Capello has too much faith in him right now. He's playing too deep and not getting into goalscoring positions. They have no creativity in midfield and they need to play Joe Cole.

As for the ref, yes he was terrible but the US will probably get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to decisions in their next game, and other teams have been screwed by refs in this tournament as well so far, so the USA haven't been alone there. It happens to everyone, it's just luck of the draw. And a lot of them don't speak English, FIFA basically get the best from each conference IIRC.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
As for the ref, yes he was terrible but the US will probably get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to decisions in their next game, and other teams have been screwed by refs in this tournament as well so far, so the USA haven't been alone there. It happens to everyone, it's just luck of the draw. And a lot of them don't speak English, FIFA basically get the best from each conference IIRC.

I'd bet a lot of money against that. The US never gets the benefit of the doubt in soccer, it just doesn't happen.

Heh;

Slovenian defender Marko Suler was adamant the referee had made the correct decision to disallow Edu’s goal and accused the Americans of roughhouse tactics.

“They were pushing and holding all the time,” Suler said. “You could see it was a foul and it was the correct decision. They did not deserve to win the game. It would not have been the correct result. We were the better team.”