Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Well the TV called offside. If they called a foul, I dont' know how the f*** it was on because the only contact I saw was the guy bear hugging Bradley.

I don't think anyone knows what the f*** he called. It was a phantom f***in call, the end.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Why do they have to win by 2 for sure?

If England wins, all we need is a win, right?

If England loses, than all we need is a win, right?

So ties are the only thing that could potentially push the cards and at that point it comes down to pure goal differential so we don't necessarily know that 2 goals would be enough, right?

Well, Slovenia won 1-0 against Algeria. A win by England against Algeria and a Slovenia - England push would give those 3 teams 5 points. If we win 1-0 against Algeria, we would be tied in goal differential with Slovenia and possibly England, depending on what score they potentially beat Algeria by.

What is the next tiebreaker after goal differential?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
Well, Slovenia won 1-0 against Algeria. A win by England against Algeria and a Slovenia - England push would give those 3 teams 5 points. If we win 1-0 against Algeria, we would be tied in goal differential with Slovenia and possibly England, depending on what score they potentially beat Algeria by.

What is the next tiebreaker after goal differential?

I have absolutely no idea.

Basically put, England ties would tend to be bad for us. Anything else and we would control our own destiny with just a win. I honestly have zero idea what the next tiebreaker is. Shots on goal ?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
Well the TV called offside. If they called a foul, I dont' know how the f*** it was on because the only contact I saw was the guy bear hugging Bradley.

No, the commentators on tv initially guessed they said offside. But they never really concluded what the call was. I heard them say on the second replay that they thought a foul was given. But they never stated who it was given on or what the official decision was.

Why do they have to win by 2 for sure?

If England wins, all we need is a win, right?

If England loses, than all we need is a win, right?

Here is why winning by 2 automatically qualifies the US.

Right now Slovenia has +1 goal differential.

US has 2 points, Slovenia has 4 points.

If England wins both games, they have 7 points. Slovenia 4 points, all the US would need to do is win and they are through with 5 points.

If England ties both games, they have 4 points, Slovenia 5 points, all the US would need to do is win and they are through with 5 points.

If England beats Algeria, and ties Slovenia, Slovenia has 5 points, England has 5 points. If the US wins, they would have 5 points. As Slovenia will have to tie that game, they are stuck at +1 in this scenario. Therefore if the US wins by 2, they are guaranteed a spot.

Hence if you win by 2 in the next game you are in no matter what circumstance happens.

Tiebreaker Rules:

Group tournaments rules

In all group tournaments, three points are awarded for a win, one for a draw, and none for a loss. FIFA has set the order of the tie-breakers for teams that finish level on points:

1. goal difference in all group matches

2. greater number of goals scored in all group matches

Where teams are still not able to be separated, the following tie-breakers are used:

1. greater number of points obtained in matches between the tied teams

2. goal difference in matches between the tied teams

3. greater number of goals scored in matches between the tied teams

Where teams are still equal, then a play-off on neutral ground, with extra time and penalties if necessary will be played if FIFA deems such a play-off able to be fitted within the coordinated international match calendar. If this is not deemed feasible, then the result will be determined by the drawing of lot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Donovan said the referee wouldn't tell them what the call was.

WTF

Because he got paid to make sure the US wouldn't win so he was making s*** up. I'm not even really kidding.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
So right now Slovenia has 3 goals, US has 3 goals.

If the US and Slovenia tie for points you are going to see the unheard of playoff.

Well there's still a game left, so not necessarily.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
Because he got paid to make sure the US wouldn't win so he was making s*** up. I'm not even really kidding.

That's nonsense. The guy gave Slovenia like 5 yellow cards.

They made some bad decisions, but I really don't think they were trying to be deliberately biased against the US.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Right which is why I qualified my statement with:

If you see the US and Slovenia tie for points.

Ya, well if they tie for points one of the teams could still score a different amount of goals.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
That's nonsense. The guy gave Slovenia like 5 yellow cards.

They made some bad decisions, but I really don't think they were trying to be deliberately biased against the US.

They were clearly biased against the US during that game to the point that I've heard from friends watching with Mexican commentators, British commentators, etc. that they were all ripping on the ref and saying that the US got screwed not just on that call but throughout the game. Hell one of those yellow cards could have been a red card (where Altidore had a clear run if he wasn't fouled) and probably would have been called a red if the US committed a similar foul.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
They were clearly biased against the US during that game to the point that I've heard from friends watching with Mexican commentators, British commentators, etc. that they were all ripping on the ref and saying that the US got screwed not just on that call but throughout the game. Hell one of those yellow cards could have been a red card (where Altidore had a clear run if he wasn't fouled) and probably would have been called a red if the US committed a similar foul.

I'm really not sure how that wasn't a red. When you have a one on one break like that and the defender blatantly pulls you down, that has to be a red imo.

A couple comments on the players. Onyewu was awful and I really wish the US had back line depth because he has no business being out there right now. Altidore was a beast in the 2nd half. He really dominated play and I wish he would play like that more often. Donovan and Bradley's finishes were both terrific strikes. I hope FIFA doesn't overturn Findley yellow so Bradley is forced not to play him, he sucks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
So right now Slovenia has 3 goals, US has 3 goals.

If the US and Slovenia tie for points you are going to see the unheard of playoff.

There is no playoff. If they end up tied in everything, then they draw lots to see who advances. I believe it happened once before in the 90s.

I was just following the rules as posted by Chisoxfn, which clearly stated a playoff could occur.

I would also guess that FIFA will not want the US being eliminated for the benefit of Slovenia, after the controversial way Slovenia won the match.

The US can make all of these contingencies irrelevant by taking out Algeria by 2.