Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
They were clearly biased against the US during that game to the point that I've heard from friends watching with Mexican commentators, British commentators, etc. that they were all ripping on the ref and saying that the US got screwed not just on that call but throughout the game. Hell one of those yellow cards could have been a red card (where Altidore had a clear run if he wasn't fouled) and probably would have been called a red if the US committed a similar foul.

I'm not stating that the calls weren't poor. I'm stating that I don't believe they were deliberately biased against the US.

Harks was saying he thought the foul on Altidore could have been a red card, but Darke wasn't so sure, and pointed out that Altidore was running at an angle away from the goal at that point. It probably could have gone either way.

Again, I am certainly not saying that the refs didn't screw us - they took away a perfectly good go-ahead goal and couldn't even really verbalize what their call was at the time - but saying that we got screwed and that we got deliberately screwed because of some conscious bias against us are two really different things.

Trust me, I have ties to a player on our roster. I want us to win as badly as anyone. But I just don't think the ref deliberately was out to get us.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not the refs were biased, they were still epically awful. It wouldn't surprise me if they were biased, but this wouldn't be the first time international soccer refs were biased against us, and there isn't much we can do about it.

Really unfortunate to have the game winning goal called back on an imaginary call and lose a win on it, but there is still no excuse to fall behind two in the first half like that.

Question by the way: What happens if teams finish tied in goal differential? It's theoretically possible that England, Slovenia, and the U.S. could all finish with 5 points and a +1 goal differential, who goes through then and in what order? And what if just two teams finish tied at 5 points and +1, then what? (Edit: nevermind, see answers for this above.)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
The rules say there will be a playoff as long as scheduling works out.

I found this on two different websites:

FIFA Rules

The FIFA World Cup begins in eight separate groups. Each group includes four teams, and the teams in each group play a round-robin tournament with the top two finishers advancing to the next round. The tiebreaker rules involve points, goal differential, and goals scored, where three points are awarded for each win and one point is awarded for each draw. The official rules in Article 39.5 are as follows:

"The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

B) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee."

Ahh so total goals scored is the next tiebreaker, did not know that. The drawing by lots thing would not be a fun scenario to decide things.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:55 AM)
Oh and for everyone who likes to say refs don't play a role in outcomes. Well this is a huge f*** you. Refs directly influence games and sometimes decide results.

Refs don't play a role in outcomes 99 percent of the time. Today was definitely a rare exception to that rule though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Okay to end this argument, here are the FIFA rules (from FIFA)

The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

B) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

48 FINAL COMPETITION

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their

rankings will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the

teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams

concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams

concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament...010inhalt_e.pdf

Playoff is only allowed in the case of a tie prior to the World Cup.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
The scenario was changed recently (within the last 4 years or so) and a playoff would be the deciding way if they were still tied.

According to the FIFA rules (posted above) the only time there is a playoff is if there is a tie prior to the World Cup competition.

The World Cup rules are clear, its drawing of lots.

Unless FIFA did not update their own website.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
The scenario was changed recently (within the last 4 years or so) and a playoff would be the deciding way if they were still tied.

Maybe it was, but here's a link to the offical 2010 World Cup Regulations on FIFA's website. page 47, Article 39.5, it says that the final tiebreaker is drawing lots. Maybe they changed it for all other tournaments?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Maybe it was, but here's a link to the offical 2010 World Cup Regulations on FIFA's website. page 47, Article 39.5, it says that the final tiebreaker is drawing lots. Maybe they changed it for all other tournaments?

Could be. I'm not an expert on it. The article I had read that I pasted the stuff from indicated that the rules had changed but maybe that was for the qualifying rounds leading into the World Cup.

There are 2 different rules on tie breakers.

1) Before the World Cup, which allows for a playoff.

2) During the World Cup, which only allows for a drawing of lots.

This part of the rules:

With the approval of the FIFA Organising Committee and should the

coordinated international match calendar allow, play-offs may be played

instead of drawing lots to decide ties within groups (cf. art. 17, par. 6g). If any

such play-off ends in a tie, extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each will

be played. If the score is level after extra time, penalty kicks will be taken to

determine the winner in accordance with the procedure described in the Laws

of the Game.

Only applies pre-World Cup.

It does not apply to section 39, the World Cup group stage.

Im shocked myself, although I knew that there had never been a playoff in the World Cup, so I thought maybe they had changed the rules.

It would seem that FIFA could allow for an extra day in case of a playoff, but that is not how the rules are written.

Based on my reading, Im 99.5% confident that my interpretation of the rules is correct.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
The fact that who advances in the World Cup could be decided on drawing lots seems so incredibly stupid. Should never come to that.

Totally, although just score that one extra goal and you don't have to worry about it. It actually happened in 1990. Ireland & Netherlands both had two 1-1 draws and one scoreless draw. They ended up drawing lots and Ireland advanced.

Deplorable

United States substitute Maurice Edu volleyed Donovan's free kick into the net in the 86th but the goal was disallowed as the referee called a foul on Edu.

"I still don't know why the goal was disallowed," Bradley said. "Nobody knows at this moment.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Deplorable

Wait the foul was on Edu? WTF that makes the call even worse than I could have imagined. FIFA needs to investigate that official and he definitely should never ref a World Cup or really any other international game again.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Wait the foul was on Edu? WTF that makes the call even worse than I could have imagined. FIFA needs to investigate that official and he definitely should never ref a World Cup or really any other international game again.

That is what one article is saying. Again, I don't think anyone knows and I've heard multiple people saying the refs wouldn't tell them what the call is. It is f***ing awful, awful, awful. So deplorable what these refs get away with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
That is what one article is saying. Again, I don't think anyone knows and I've heard multiple people saying the refs wouldn't tell them what the call is. It is f***ing awful, awful, awful. So deplorable what these refs get away with.

Donovan said afterward that the refs didn't even speak English. How does that happen?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
Donovan said afterward that the refs didn't even speak English. How does that happen?

It seems like it'd be kind of hard to have every ref speaks the language of both teams in every game. Still seems like that'd be a good thing though.

And if i'm reading this right, the only way you could have the three way tie where you need a lottery is if England beats Algeria 1-0, the U.S. beats Algeria 1-0, and England and Slovenia tie at 2. Because then you couldn't separate the teams in any sort of way.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
It seems like it'd be kind of hard to have every ref speaks the language of both teams in every game. Still seems like that'd be a good thing though.

And if i'm reading this right, the only way you could have the three way tie where you need a lottery is if England beats Algeria 1-0, the U.S. beats Algeria 1-0, and England and Slovenia tie at 2. Because then you couldn't separate the teams in any sort of way.

And let me tell you, it won't happen.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
God ESPN, stop hyping Algeria getting a result (they're saying needing a win, no less) as a must for the US. Hell, it's probably better if England wins straight up.

Algeria getting something means U.S. is guaranteed moving on with a win. If not, you could still get all kinds of complications if Slovenia and England draw (although I find that to be unlikely). So I get them doing that in a sense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
Algeria getting something means U.S. is guaranteed moving on with a win. If not, you could still get all kinds of complications if Slovenia and England draw (although I find that to be unlikely). So I get them doing that in a sense.

Yeah, but at this point I think you just have to assume US is in with a win, not with anything else. Placing doesn't matter either, with Group D in chaos. I think it'll be much easier playing an Algerian side with nothing to play for than one with hopes of advancing. You could always see them putting guys forward to expose our weak D.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah, but at this point I think you just have to assume US is in with a win, not with anything else. Placing doesn't matter either, with Group D in chaos. I think it'll be much easier playing an Algerian side with nothing to play for than one with hopes of advancing. You could always see them putting guys forward to expose our weak D.

Yeah that is true. I think Algeria will just say f*** it and push guys forward no matter what though. Nothing to lose if they're already out, and trying to expose the weak d if they aren't.