Official 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
Hopefully, Germany loses and we get to play Serbia or Australia.

If Germany wins, don't we get to play Serbia or Australia anyway? Germany will have 6 points, and with their +3 goal differential, I doubt Serbia passes them up, they are at even 0. 1st tiebreaker is goal differential, not head-to-head (which is dumb if you ask me).

I think the only way we face Germany is if they tie & SRB-AUS ends in a tie, or if AUS wins, or if Germany & Serbia both win, but Serbia drops a 5 or 6 spot on the Aussies.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
If Germany wins, don't we get to play Serbia or Australia anyway? Germany will have 6 points, and with their +3 goal differential, I doubt Serbia passes them up, they are at even 0. 1st tiebreaker is goal differential, not head-to-head (which is dumb if you ask me).

I think the only way we face Germany is if they tie & SRB-AUS ends in a tie, or if AUS wins, or if Germany & Serbia both win, but Serbia drops a 5 or 6 spot on the Aussies.

Maybe I'm thinking ahead, but it'd be good to get rid of a really good team like Germany right now so they'd have a chance in the quarter finals.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
USA has gotten this far before. But it will be one of the first times where in the round of 16 they may be a favorite to advance.

They got a hell of a draw this time. They were in a weak group to begin with and group D has been pretty wild so far.

Yeah USA got one of the most favorable draws, and could potentially have a great round of 16 match up.

For all the b****ing about FIFA, the refs, etc., the US got huge breaks in how their group and draw may work. It doesnt really matter now, US wins the group and some one has to actually beat them. It would have been sad if the US didnt lose a game, but still had to go home.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Maybe I'm thinking ahead, but it'd be good to get rid of a really good team like Germany right now so they'd have a chance in the quarter finals.

Yeah, but if Germany wins Group D, then the USA couldn't face them until the Finals. If the US wins in Round 2, their QF opponent will be Uruguay/S. Korea. Thats a pretty good draw.

There really are maybe 10 teams or less that are in a different class than the US. It appears that the US will not have to face any of them. Even Germany is a team that the US matches up with considerably better than a Spain, Brazil, Argentina or other teams who play a quicker Spanish style pace. US tends to give up a lot of fouls and set pieces against teams like that.

Unbelievable turn of events.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
Hopefully, Germany loses and we get to play Serbia or Australia.

Agreed.

The greatest player in US soccer history delivered when we needed it. US really played its best game of the tournametn so far though. We had tons of great opportunities, didn't finish and choked a bit, but I don't expect that to happen in our quarterfinal matchup.

Altidore played like a stud for the most part, albeit he missed one. Dempsey is rock solid and will not miss those opportunities again. I personally prefer Hercules to Buddle but Buddle might be the better option as the starter because Gomez seems very comfortable coming off the bench where as Buddle was atrocious.

f***ing awesome. Biggest goal in the history of US soccer right there!!!

USA USA USA!!!!

This win was huge for US soccer too because there is a good chance this will help us get the World Cup again in 2022.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Is this the farthest Team USA has gotten? I'm a noob to all of this.

8 years ago they faced Germany in the quarterfinals, lost in a heartbreaker where we outplayed the Germans but the German goal keeper was a tank. Prior to this team, I believe that team was the best team in US history (from a pure talent standpoint).