Official 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, looks like the last 20 to 25 minutes of that Slovakia/Italy game was absolutely ridiculous. Wonder what kind of odds you could have got on Italy of all teams having a 3-2 game? It's too bad New Zealand couldn't get the goal they needed to advance, but wow at Slovakia going from dead last before today in the group to advancing.

Lippi should be embarrassed for his roster selection. New Zealand should never be within 3 goals of Italy (that result is still worse than the loss to Slovakia IMO). That said, the Italians haven't played well for a few years now. They miss the attacking players like Totti and Toni. Pepe and some of these new attacking players are garbage.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Wow, looks like the last 20 to 25 minutes of that Slovakia/Italy game was absolutely ridiculous. Wonder what kind of odds you could have got on Italy of all teams having a 3-2 game? It's too bad New Zealand couldn't get the goal they needed to advance, but wow at Slovakia going from dead last before today in the group to advancing.

As much as New Zealand has been nice story, I wouldnt want to see them play the Netherlands in the round of 16. That would have been a slaughter.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
I think Italy is regretting their decision not to include him even more.

Among a few other attacking type players. Gilardino and Di Natale had good Serie A seasons, but were both disappointing. The problem was that the midfield didn't do anything offensively and really wasn't built to. Iaquinta shouldn't have been on the roster. Pazzini barely got a chance to play. Quagliarella too. There are plenty of on form strikers in Serie A to pick from. They just didn't bring them. Bah, what a joke.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Buh-bye Italy

Wonder if Giuseppe Rossi is currently regretting his decision...

Yeah i'm with the others that say, if anything, Italy feels even worse for not picking Rossi than Rossi does for trying to make the Italy team instead of ours. Both squads could certainly use a player like him though, especially the Italians apparently.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
I think Italy is regretting their decision not to include him even more.

Not just him but that whole lineup selection was a joke

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Yeah i'm with the others that say, if anything, Italy feels even worse for not picking Rossi than Rossi does for trying to make the Italy team instead of ours. Both squads could certainly use a player like him though, especially the Italians apparently.

Imagine how much stronger the US team would be right now it Rossi and Subotic chose to represent the US and Davies never got hurt. I know, other countries suffer injuries (and worse ones) too but it's interesting to think about

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)

The italians picked a poor team and it showed. Good riddance.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Looks like everyone ran out of steam in this thread.

Ivory Coast up 2-0 at half, I'd like to see them put up six in the second half with Portugal losing to Brazil. I want to see Drogba and Co. go through.

They started out well with 2 goals in 20 minutes, but haven't been able to get it back in the net since. Portugal did score 6 in the second half vs. Korea though.

Boring set of morning games because there was basically no chance of Ivory Coast making up 9 goals. The past 2 WC's it seems like everyone was excited about the Ivory Coast and they fizzled out. Since Ghana has gotten out of their group 2 times in a row, maybe in 2014 Ghana will be the Africa's most hyped team.

Excited about the Chile-Spain game in a few hours.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Boring set of morning games because there was basically no chance of Ivory Coast making up 9 goals. The past 2 WC's it seems like everyone was excited about the Ivory Coast and they fizzled out. Since Ghana has gotten out of their group 2 times in a row, maybe in 2014 Ghana will be the Africa's most hyped team.

Should be very interesting. With the Swiss playing Honduras, you can end up with three teams tied at 6 pts. Spain can't mess around and really needs to play for the win, Chile needs to give up as few goals as possible if they can't get the draw. Switzerland is not known for scoring a lot, but will need to get one or two.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)

CIV has had brutal groups though. Brazil and Portugal this year. Netherlands and Argentina in 2006. Hard to advance when you have 2 powers in your group.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)

Ivory Coast may not be Africa's best team (Ghana, Egypt) but they are the most talented and have had the best players the past 4 or 5 years. It's not their fault they have had s*** luck in the draw the past two tournaments.

Yeah they had tough groups but they are a good team so more times than not they'll be stuck in a hard group because they wont be seeded. Ghana has been in tough pairings the past 2 WC's and they still were able to move on. They have managed 1 point in their 4 matches against the top teams in the groups. I guess the bad luck for them is always playing the weakest team in their final group match. By then the group has already taken shape and they are on the outside looking in.

Andres Cantor call of Donovan's goal

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
Yeah they had tough groups but they are a good team so more times than not they'll be stuck in a hard group because they wont be seeded. Ghana has been in tough pairings the past 2 WC's and they still were able to move on. They have managed 1 point in their 4 matches against the top teams in the groups. I guess the bad luck for them is always playing the weakest team in their final group match. By then the group has already taken shape and they are on the outside looking in.

Andres Cantor call of Donovan's goal

Netherlands + Argentina > Czech Republic + Italy

Brazil + Portugal >>> Germany + Serbia/Australia

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
Netherlands + Argentina > Czech Republic + Italy

Brazil + Portugal >>> Germany + Serbia/Australia

The Czechs were equal to the Dutch going into the WC and we all know how Italy did.

This is the World Cup and if youre a good team, youre going to have to eventually beat other good teams. The Ivory Coast has yet to prove they can beat better teams in major competitions.

You think Ivory Coast fans are saying, "oh well, we lost but we played in a tough group."? No, just like we werent saying that in 2006 after failing in our group.

And Portugal barely qualified for this World Cup. No one is asking the Ivory Coast to beat Brazil but asking them to beat Portugal isnt that far fetched.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
The Czechs were equal to the Dutch going into the WC and we all know how Italy did.

This is the World Cup and if youre a good team, youre going to have to eventually beat other good teams. The Ivory Coast has yet to prove they can beat better teams in major competitions.

You think Ivory Coast fans are saying, "oh well, we lost but we played in a tough group."? No, just like we werent saying that in 2006 after failing in our group.

And Portugal barely qualified for this World Cup. No one is asking the Ivory Coast to beat Brazil but asking them to beat Portugal isnt that far fetched.

And they should have. They were the better team. if Drogba played the full 90 it very well could have been different. I'm not excusing them for going out again, but IMO they are the most talented team in Africa right now and I don't think anyone has much of an argument. (maybe Ghana with a healthy Essien)