Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
I dont know if I'd go that far, but you are one of the more informed posters of international soccer here so it's nice seeing that sentiment coming from a non-American.

You hear that DHAH0, you're like, the resident soccer expert on SoxTalk! CLEARLY its because Australia beat Serbia.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Ya, his rights are owned by Villareal, awesome. He's played only a handful of games there and hasn't scored goal anywhere outside of the MLS.

And again, what does Serbia have to do with anything related to Altidore?

6 games with Villareal and he's scored a goal.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Altidore's upside is a Luis Fabiano striker IMO.

But that said, he's got a lot of work to do on his overall finishing skills still though.

But the potential with his body size and speed is definitely there.

I don't think Altidore has anywhere near the talent/skill/ability level that's required in order to develop into a player like Fabiano. He also comes across as a player with a low footballing IQ. I'd never bet on those players reaching their full potential.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Deleted your first post huh.

Wasn't claiming he was, just wanted to address your made up comment.

What comment did I make up?

And ya, I deleted my first post. It said "STUD." Caps lock on, internet slow, accidentally clicked post. Conspiracy!

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Altidore's upside is a Luis Fabiano striker IMO.

But that said, he's got a lot of work to do on his overall finishing skills still though.

But the potential with his body size and speed is definitely there.

You make that sound like a bad thing. If he became that good, any American would be ecstatic.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't think Altidore has anywhere near the talent/skill/ability level that's required in order to develop into a player like Fabiano. He also comes across as a player with a low footballing IQ. I'd never bet on those players reaching their full potential.

I think Jozy's problem is work ethic. He has big talent, but something is there holding him back from being as good as he can be. Football IQ might be a part of that too. He teases us with spectacular showings followed by duds. I guess that's what can be expected from a 20 year old on a maturity level.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
That he's never scored outside of MLS. And that had been your only justification up until your last post to back up your initial statement on the subject.

:lol: Perhaps I should have been clearer. I didn't mean LITERALLY never scored a goal/ I'm quite aware that he has actually scored goals outside of the MLS. All 2 or 3 of them. I meant scoring/finishing form.

Unlike you seem to believe, I actually watch the sport and talk about it.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
So... Portugal v Spain. This should be a good game.

I'm glad we finally had penalties. Everyone says how they dislike penalties so much but I've always enjoyed them... unless England are involved.

Why did Japan have a defender who has never scored an international goal taking one?

Altidore has potential, but Id agree with Slav about not counting on Altidore being a "stud". The term stud suggests that he is going to be a top striker on the world stage, not just one of the best players on the US team.

I have 2 concerns with his potential. 1) He just doesnt seem that fast. He seems to have plus power and agility, but he never seems to run away from people. He may have above average speed, just not world class. 2) He doesnt seem to care about defense. Jose doesnt not seem to like to chase the ball. It lets the other team kick it around with very little pressure on the ball on the defensive end. If they guy is scoring a goal a game it may not matter, but otherwise you have to be a complete player. Against Ghana he seemed to have a little more fire in this regard.

So while he may become great, I just wouldnt count on him to be. Which is exactly what Slav said.

And im an American.

/shrugs

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Why did Japan have a defender who has never scored an international goal taking one?

Scoring from the penalty spot isn't exactly the same as scoring from open play. There are plenty of defenders who are very good penalty takers.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
Scoring from the penalty spot isn't exactly the same as scoring from open play. There are plenty of defenders who are very good penalty takers.

Oh I understand that...do goals in a penalty shootout count as goals?

If not, so he may have scored plenty of PKs before in a shootout situation before?

It was probably just an unfortunate coincidence.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)

2-way defenders are the most beautiful thing to watch. See: Maicon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Oh I understand that...do goals in a penalty shootout count as goals?

If not, so he may have scored plenty of PKs before in a shootout situation before?

It was probably just an unfortunate coincidence.

No, they do not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
This is South America's tourney. 4 of their 5 teams make the final 8, and the 5th lost to a fellow CONMEBOL member. If you don't count the Brazil-Chile match, their teams have 13 wins, 4 draws, and only one loss.

They've certainly been helped by some big of the European teams deciding to just not show up. Brazil/Argentina are obviously great, and I like what I've seen from Uruguay (I love the Cavani/Forlan/Suarez forward trio), but Paraguay have been fairly average for me.

Id like to add in no way was I questioning the fact that you root for a different team in asking about Altidore, I just dont really watch soccer outside worldcup and I thought he showed great flashes of potential and still fairly young is what lead to my assesment. I also think US not having another good forward next to him prob was a factor in holding him back as well. Also even though I kid about you taking my name Soxfan1 its the other person that lead me to a name change, since I was constantly taking heat for remarks he said. :lolhitting

Edited by GoodAsGould