Official 2010 World Cup Thread

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Group A wasn't exactly a murderers row either.

True, but look where Uruguay is.

With the way England got destroyed and how badly the U.S. played when they had so many chances, group C definitely looks pretty bad.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
True, but look where Uruguay is.

With the way England got destroyed and how badly the U.S. played when they had so many chances, group C definitely looks pretty bad.

Uruguay did play S. Korea, while England played Germany, but I do agree that group C made themselves look pretty bad in the 2nd round.

Looking back, if Robert Green doesn't let that cheap goal in, England wins that match and the group, and has matchups vs. Ghana & Uruguay lurking, instead of Germany. Who knows how it would have worked out, but just saying.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Uruguay did play S. Korea, while England played Germany, but I do agree that group C made themselves look pretty bad in the 2nd round.

Looking back, if Robert Green doesn't let that cheap goal in, England wins that match and the group, and has matchups vs. Ghana & Uruguay lurking, instead of Germany. Who knows how it would have worked out, but just saying.

South Korea is semi-decent. I'd think a matchup between S. Korea and the U.S. would have definitely been very interesting.

Green did make a pretty good save against Altidore in the second half, but yeah, had he made both saves, it might have looked very different.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
I don't think Altidore has anywhere near the talent/skill/ability level that's required in order to develop into a player like Fabiano. He also comes across as a player with a low footballing IQ. I'd never bet on those players reaching their full potential.

Yeah possibly, but IIRC Fabiano wasn't a guy who really came on until later on in his career when he joined Sevilla, and with the bigger sort of strikers, they usually don't really come into their own from 25 onwards. The footballing IQ is only something that's going to get better the more matches he plays, and for better teams in better leagues etc. Not exactly easy to look good for Hull when they're absolute s***.

Obviously after what he produced at Hull this season, you'd say, this guy needs to really improve a lot if he's really going to make it. He could end up being more of a target man than an absolute striker when it's all said and done.