Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Based on everything we've seen you'd be crazy to bet against Germany.

Which is crazy considering before their first game, I heard Jurgen saying that the Germans were down on their team and thought this would be the worst World Cup team they've had in decades...

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
Spain/Germany could be a great one as well. It will be interesting to see if Spain finally starts Fabregas.

By no means do I see Germany rolling over Spain. Spain is quite possibly the best team in the Cup and Germany is playing the best soccer right now. Should be a great match.

Spain might succumb to the German squads physicality. One of the problems Argentina had was the swarming German defense. Messi's size really undid him against the Germans as he could just not hold possession against their physicality.

Spain is probably more well rounded than Argentina, but they also are a finesse team as compared to the Germans. Id guess Torres starts because they will want his size, but I really think they arent using Fabregas enough. Germany has looked to be the better team so far, but all that counts is who shows up in the next game.

Spain will have a lot of pressure on them, this is the first time they have been in the semifinal since 1930 I believe. Germany is playing with house money. Should be a great one.

ahh, classic soxtalk, state something that is clearly true and the research to act like they are right by bringing info that is false. Yes, wikipedia is great. Congratulations. I wasn't born in 1970. Since I've been born it's been a merry-go-round of the same teams. I'd rather a non-western europe final happen. INSANE.

No more Larissa. :(

Spain were very lucky, and it almost seems like destiny that they're going to win in the end IMO.

That said, Germany are in great form and they'll try to get Spain on the counter as much as possible, but Mueller will be a real big loss for them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
Destiny isn't going to do Spain much good in dealing with Germany. They'll have to play their best game of the tournament by a wide margin to win that game.

Spain is much better defensively than England and Argentina though.

And with Mueller out (who's arguably been Germany's best player along with Ozil), it's be a much more even game I'd say.

That said, if you can shut David Villa down, Spain have had trouble scoring. They looked better with Fabregas on also.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 4, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
ahh, classic soxtalk, state something that is clearly true and the research to act like they are right by bringing info that is false. Yes, wikipedia is great. Congratulations. I wasn't born in 1970. Since I've been born it's been a merry-go-round of the same teams. I'd rather a non-western europe final happen. INSANE.

The statement may be true, but Spain has been anything but a power until the last couple years. They certainly weren't a part of this merry go round you speak of.

I dont know when you were born, I dont really care. If you say something that isnt true, expect to be called on it.

The team with the most titles is none other than Brazil. After that you have Germany and Italy, followed by Argentina and Uruguay.

Im pretty sure the count is Europe 9 and South America 9.

You can want whatever you like, but to act like Spain has been a World Cup soccer power is just historically not true.

And you dont need to Wikipedia Spain Football to know their history, you just have to watch 1 or 2 Spanish games and they bring it up in 50% of the conversation.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
wow if there's one thing i don't want to see it's a classic european power matchup. Give me netherlands or a south american team.

Don't worry bmags. I can guarantee you will get Netherlands or a South American team in the final