Breaking in a Baseball Glove

Quin

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=5173365

I thought breaking in a glove was simple. You put a baseball in the webbing, tie it shut with shoestring, stuff it under the mattress along with the SI swimsuit issue, a Maxim magazine and the Victoria's Secret catalogue, then sleep on it all winter. But then I asked major leaguers how they break in their gloves and I learned that like so many other things, breaking in a glove has become a whole lot more complicated.

"Well," San Francisco's Aaron Rowand said, "first I'll get it wet. Soak it under a faucet, get the leather wet and let it soak in. Then I'll put it in the microwave for a minute, 10 seconds to soften up the leather and then go out and catch balls off the pitching machine."

Wait a second. You put it in the microwave? Really? Who puts a glove in the microwave and why?

I recently bought a Rawlings Renegade, and I've been trying to 'naturally' break it in for about 3 weeks to little avail.

Then I tried a variation of Rowand's method and doused it in hot water, than put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It's a lot softer now, and its sitting under my mattress with a baseball tied in it to shape it right now.

Funnily enough, the tan parts of the glove went from tan to dark brown, and I like the look a lot more.

How does everyone else break in their gloves?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 12, 2010 -> 01:09 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=5173365

I recently bought a Rawlings Renegade, and I've been trying to 'naturally' break it in for about 3 weeks to little avail.

Then I tried a variation of Rowand's method and doused it in hot water, than put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It's a lot softer now, and its sitting under my mattress with a baseball tied in it to shape it right now.

Funnily enough, the tan parts of the glove went from tan to dark brown, and I like the look a lot more.

How does everyone else break in their gloves?

I have used the same formula for years and it has worked from little league through college. Just broke in my sons T ball glove for him using it. Warning!!!! The way I break in a glove will discolor a light colored glove, however I was more worried about it working than its look.

You can use either the glove conditioner oil ( NEAT) or vaseline ( when I was younger and didn't know about the glove conditioner oil ) or some people even use shaving cream.

Rub the oil or vaseline all over the glove and work it in. Place a ball in the web, then use twine to tie up the mitt. Wrap it in a clear ziplock bag. Place weights on it so its flat and leave it overnight. In the morning, place it ( still wrapped in twine and in its sealed plastic clear bag ) either directly on your roof or in the back window of your car thats parked out in the sun all day. The heat of your roof or the back window and the sealed plastic clear bag provide "cook in" of the oil into your glove.

Repeat the ritual for 3 days.

On the 4th day, bend the glove backwards so it looks like you are trying to turn it inside out. Tie it with twine, and put the weights on it, back in the bag she goes. Let it sit in the sun all day again, just like before. When you are done, the glove show pretty much lay flat on its own and open without any problem.

Edited by southsideirish71

Breaking in a glove is such a pain in the rear. Only have had 3 gloves my entire life and usually it takes me an extended period of time until I'm ready to truly use the new glove.

I heat it, put it under the mattress, use shaving cream, etc. Its a process that I continue to repeat until I'm perfectly happy with the mitt. But once you are, man its nice.

I have used every method. Really, getting the glove oil worked into the glove and playing hard catch for a while helps a lot, and the mattress method works pretty good too.

But the best thing I do is wrap it every offseason with a ball and forget about it. The first year always sucks, after that Its all good. The glove I currently use is damn near 10 years old and I love it, although it is a little bit loose around the wrist(rimshot).

I am thinking of having a leather guy rework the threading soon just to be on the safe side

I used any oil that was available. Even motor oil or cooking oil. They didn't have microwaves back when I was in Little League.

Don't the have those metal rings for the laces anymore? I would think your glove would start to spark in the microwave.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
I used any oil that was available. Even motor oil or cooking oil. They didn't have microwaves back when I was in Little League.

Don't the have those metal rings for the laces anymore? I would think your glove would start to spark in the microwave.

I used the real oven, not the microwave.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
I used the real oven, not the microwave.

Ditto. The oven would do wonders for me. I used oil and other stuff too, just didn't work as well. The ol put the ball in the glove and tape it around trick worked ok too.

I always tied a belt around the glove but that was when I was like 10 and I had cheaper gloves. From age 12 and on I would always get my gloves from players my uncle played with. Been using a Zett glove from Walt Weiss since I was 14-15 and 13 years later I'm still use it. Of course I had it restrung a couple of times but it's a real heavy leather so maybe that's why its held up. But then again I only bust it out a few times a year now. It's going to be a sad day when I have to put that glove to pasture.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 12, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

Nah, it's all leather, so it worked beautifully.

I'd more than wet mine. I'd oil all the strings pretty well and literally soak it overnight. Take it out in the morning and wrap a ball in the pocket and tie it up and let it dry a day or so. Then oiled the pocket and flexors. Sometime I'd beat it with the head of the bat in the pocket too. It usually took me about a week to get it where I wanted it.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 13, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd more than wet mine. I'd oil all the strings pretty well and literally soak it overnight. Sometime I'd beat it with the head of the bat in the pocket too.

You sicken me sir. Its just a glove. ;)

When I broke in my glove, I put a ball in it, put rubberbands around it for a couple days. Then I pushed it completely inside out and just started throwing it against a brick wall. Then a drove over it w/ my car while it was still inside out. Then just kept bending the webbing back and forth. It worked for me. I am not a fan of the really flimsy gloves, so where mine is at is perfect. It's loose enough to open and close easily, but not loose enough where it folds into itself.

Also, it is signed by Floyd, so I get extra luck from that. Haha.

The problem I have is that I have a $270 steerhide leather custom made glove. It has my name stitched in the side and is black with blue laces and welting. I really don't want to ruin it, but I want to break it in better.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
In conclusion, there are a thousand different ways to break in a glove and they all seem to work. You can't go wrong.

1) Fire

2) Lighter fluid

3) ????

4) Profit!

5) Just kidding, anti-profit.