Quentin.

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm worried that he's starting to resemble Jose Valentin offensively - an occasional good year largely defined by anomalous power numbers, and then a .230 hitter the rest of the time...

Can someone please reassure me?

No. You're right.

Fire Greg Walker! Before you give up on a guy who's shown the type of talent he has, you have to get another hitting coach in here. I don't care if it's not Walker's fault, but if we have to give up on Quentin, it makes our future look even worse.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Fire Greg Walker! Before you give up on a guy who's shown the type of talent he has, you have to get another hitting coach in here. I don't care if it's not Walker's fault, but if we have to give up on Quentin, it makes our future look even worse.

Walker has a wonderful resume. You cannot fire him.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm worried that he's starting to resemble Jose Valentin offensively - an occasional good year largely defined by anomalous power numbers, and then a .230 hitter the rest of the time...

Can someone please reassure me?

i sure hope not as valentin was my least favorite sox player of all time

Throughout Quentin's minor league career and his first year success here, he had a power stroke that was to right center. He drove the ball with authority and had great bat control. His power was generated from great swings. Now he looks like is trying to artificially provide power by swinging hard at everything and missing. He is a mess right now.

Quite simply, he sucks. His swing looks like s***, he's either compensating for a wrist that never fully healed, or his mechanical overhaul was a terrible mistake. His stance, swing, angle, and approach look nothing like the Quentin of two year ago.

It's all about timing.

Before, when he had that "lag" in his swing, he was just a split second early (in 2008) and everything worked perfectly. Now, he's just a fraction of a second late, he's trying to cheat and he's getting himself out on pitchers' pitches, fouling off a lot of balls that he used to square up and bust into the seats. The classic "in between" description really fits with Quentin.

Someone else had it right, his natural RCF stroke became the infamous pull-hook OR, most commonly, just getting under pitches and popping up a ton of balls into RF and the right side of the diamond like Thomas and Crede would also do a lot of times.

The physical ability is still there I think, its just got into his head...the psychological side of the game, 90% of baseball is half mental or whatever Yogi Berra said. Same thing with Beckham, really.

Whatever it is, the timing, the stance, the lack of a level plane in his swing, the approach of trying to jack everything out of the ballpark and not adjust situationally but just be like Juan Uribe or Brian Anderson and do the same thing every single time up....it's frustrating to watch for everyone who saw how good he was in 2008, and how far he's fallen.

You can't have a corner outfielder with a 650-700 OPS playing his abysmal level of defense (currently) or DHing, but I guess he fits right in there with TMK as a pair.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
How is this possible?

because he hit 230, made a zillion errors and was a selfish player who just tried for homers. i cant stand guys like that.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 12, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
because he hit 230, made a zillion errors and was a selfish player who just tried for homers. i cant stand guys like that.

I'm not even going to touch that one, I'll probably get banned the way today is going.

Valentin was/is one of my 3 favorite Sox players of all time, along with Lance Johnson and Robin Ventura.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm not even going to touch that one, I'll probably get banned the way today is going.

Valentin was/is one of my 3 favorite Sox players of all time, along with Lance Johnson and Robin Ventura.

we can all have different opinions no big deal. i just didnt like him.

lance and robin i liked a lot.

and i still like RBI baseball

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
we can all have different opinions no big deal. i just didnt like him.

lance and robin i liked a lot.

and i still like RBI baseball

Tim Raines was fast as f*** in that game. And for some reason I always liked being Detroit, Chet Lemon was awesome

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Tim Raines was fast as f*** in that game. And for some reason I always liked being Detroit, Chet Lemon was awesome

yeah the expos were my team for whatever reason

Valentin was a generally likeable individual, and perhaps the best White Sox example of a compelling argument for "clutch hitting" in recent years. He was a huge part of that 2000 team. I liked him, but he was a pretty below average player, at the end of the day.

For what it's worth, he's the one Sox player that I thought might have roided.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Why is this even an argument? When it comes down to it, the minute i mention MVP Baseball 2005, any argument about best baseball video game is over.

this is like saying "God of War is so much better than the original Zelda"

Well duh. But that doesnt make it my favorite game since the first time I started playing video games

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
this is like saying "God of War is so much better than the original Zelda"

Well duh. But that doesnt make it my favorite game since the first time I started playing video games

i dunno. to me the better the games got graphically and more detailed they become, the less fun they were. i loved intellivision baseball too "YUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRR OUT"