Quentin.

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
or as my wife used to refer to him, "that guy who hits all the doubles"

of anyone who's every donned the uni, least favorite, really?

For me...Colon, Contreras, Marte, D. Wells, Timo, Wise, Mackowiak, Kotsay, and 1/2 that 2007 roster are up there higher than Valentin.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
It appears to me that he has altered his stance as well. He is not in as deep of a crouch as he formerly was. That is to say that his knees are not as bent.

He's also standing just a little further away from the plate, especially his back foot.

I also noticed today that he did not have the thumb on his top hand extended with his thumb pressed against the bat, as he always did before.

He's the only player whom I've ever seen do that, and so I usually notice it. Another change is that he was wearing one of those rubber thumb guards on his left hand.

I'm not trying to suggest that any of this is the cause of his problems, but rather simply making an observation.

It might be more of an indication that he is searching for answers and experimenting with different things. Why not use the video and try to go back to what he did so successfully before?

his stance used to be more open as well. NOw he's almost lined up directly at the pitcher. I don't know why he, or anyone, changes with something they have been successful with. It's like the young golfer who wins early on in their career and then decide to change their swing only to never be heard from again.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
For me...Colon, Contreras, Marte, D. Wells, Timo, Wise, Mackowiak, Kotsay, and 1/2 that 2007 roster are up there higher than Valentin.

Well most of those guys were role players so I didn't really consider them.

Jose was a big contributor to the WS so even if his last season was bad I could never dislike him.

Rob I actually know fairly well. Drank with him a bunch of times and he played softball with us a few games. Hes a good guy. He has some funny stories about Jerry Manuel.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 12, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
his stance used to be more open as well. NOw he's almost lined up directly at the pitcher. I don't know why he, or anyone, changes with something they have been successful with. It's like the young golfer who wins early on in their career and then decide to change their swing only to never be heard from again.

Cal Ripkin, Jr. Seemed like that dude had a new stance every time he came to bat. Definitely the rarest of success stories in terms of how much he changed his swing/stance while still maintaining sustained success.

Im not too shocked by Quentin having struggles, as I feared that his original wrist injury back from 08 might linger longer than most people thought. I wouldnt be surprised if most of Quentin's struggles have been mental. Maybe he isn't able to grip the bat the same way or does snap the wrists through like he used to.

I was never a huge fan of his stance, as it does have some holes, but Quentin is far more talented than a below .200 hitter.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 12, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
I never had a problem with Valentin. I mean, he wasn't the best for average hitter, but he could mash sometimes. He was an awful SS though, but he made up for it with the Stache. Dude was a pimp!

hahaa...I still have the White Sox bottle opener in my drawer that when it hits metal in the middle Hawk is callin' a Jose Valentin homer...YYYYYES!!! Sometimes it randomly goes off when I open the drawer...it's pretty classic!

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 12, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)

Yes, I noticed that as well. That's exactly to what I was referring when I said that his back foot was "especially further from the plate". Moving that back foot even further away from the plate, relative to his front foot, results in his stance becoming much less open. Thanks for the concurring observation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:47 AM)
The best was when he did the mockery/imitation of Sosa's "heart taps" in one of the inter-city series games when he homered.

That was classico.

Yeah that pretty awesome. Both Jose and Carlos Lee got really amped for those series and they were both Cub killers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 13, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
Yes, I noticed that as well. That's exactly to what I was referring when I said that his back foot was "especially further from the plate". Moving that back foot even further away from the plate, relative to his front foot, results in his stance becoming much less open. Thanks for the concurring observation.

But it could also help keep him from being HBP.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 12, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
how could you not be pacified by a lemon chill?

lucky for me my fiance loves going to games and wants to get there early and keep score every game. she even tells me when i get pissed off that we have to stick by the sox even when they are bad.

Next you're going to tell us she is an amazing cook and loves strip clubs...

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
or as my wife used to refer to him, "that guy who hits all the doubles"

of anyone who's every donned the uni, least favorite, really?

I liked Jose Valentin. He was a good player and a team player at that

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Next you're going to tell us she is an amazing cook and loves strip clubs...

haha. i do most of the cooking and

shes never been to a strip club, maybe this next vegas trip...

Back in March, many here (including myself) said that the Sox are relying *very* heavily on Quentin, and they're screwed offensively if he has a bad year. Even with PK and Jones playing out of their minds, that's pretty much been the case.

CQ is one of those guys who you keep through the arb-eligible years and let somebody else over-pay for when he hits free agency. Even if he has another 2008-like year, his erratic swing and health make him a massive liability in a multi-year deal.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 13, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
If you really think those 2 players are on the same level, there's no logical argument that will work.

With Sox prospects, you honestly never know. That's why I keep saying we need to get rid of Walker so that hopefully we can find someone who helps our young players make the adjustments necessary to succeed after the rest of baseball adjusts to them. I never thought Carlos Quentin would flop as much as he has since his magical season 2 years ago either, but right now, I'd rather have Chris Carter than him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
With Sox prospects, you honestly never know. That's why I keep saying we need to get rid of Walker so that hopefully we can find someone who helps our young players make the adjustments necessary to succeed after the rest of baseball adjusts to them. I never thought Carlos Quentin would flop as much as he has since his magical season 2 years ago either, but right now, I'd rather have Chris Carter than him.

And Walker had nothing to do with Quentin's magical season?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
And Walker had nothing to do with Quentin's magical season?

Who knows, it would be like saying he had something to do with Beckham's season last year, or Fields' first year in the majors. It's the adjustment part that Walker sucks with, and since he says he isn't employed to help veterans, then he better be able to help out the young guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)

I'm confident that Beckham and Fields aren't even in the same sentence together when it comes to prospects. And since Carter was just a "sox prospect" how do you know he would be good?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 13, 2010 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm confident that Beckham and Fields aren't even in the same sentence together when it comes to prospects. And since Carter was just a "sox prospect" how do you know he would be good?

He's worked with Oakland's hitting coaches. And if there's one team known for turning out great hitting prospects over the past couple years, say, since they started testing for things, I think of Oakland.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
He's worked with Oakland's hitting coaches. And if there's one team known for turning out great hitting prospects over the past couple years, say, since they started testing for things, I think of Oakland.

How would Oak's coaches have got to him if he was still a white sox?