Trey Hillman fired by KC

jeffro2525

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/10/19375...ing-royals.html

What is truly one of the most amazing and crazy things EVER in sports is the Royals preaching On Base Average and signing free swinging, slow, no walking, strikeout machines. Our Royals are a manic depressed bunch of dudes. One year our bullpen is Ok then they blow and our starters are OK. Please put it together one time. The only way I see the Royals winning is by spending more on FA acquisitions. Until some prospects wow us at the ML level I think that is the only way. from comments section

Sound familiar?

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/12/19426...-day-a-bad.html

It wasn't mentioned in this article, but I don't think the Callaspo/Getz over Alex Gordon decision is going to go down as one of the best in franchise history either. The long-term benefit of this move was zero from the beginning, and the short-term benefit has been ABSOLUTE ZERO from the get-go.

Edited by caulfield12

Just trying out my new avatar to see if it works.

Hmmm....not sure why I still have Jose Contreras. Oh, well.

Dayton Moore, welcome to the hot seat. Your job is in jeopardy, too. A new GM will be hired before you get a chance to pick another manager.

I almost wish they had the balls to bring back Tony Pena, the only "positive" season they had was in 2003 for the first four months before they faded quickly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Pretty much all of their offensive products have failed to one extent or another while in KC.

Not completely true. You have Butler and David DeJesus.

Going back almost a decade, they had an offensive juggernaut, with Randa, Damon, Dye, Carlos Beltran, Mike Sweeney and Carlos Febles (when he was looking like a ROY candidate, they were called "DOS CARLOS"). Rey Sanchez could play a little SS, too.

Angel Berroa, I'll give you that flameout. Hopefully Alexei doesn't follow that career path.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArBK...manfiring051310

WILL OZZIE GO OUT IN A SIMILAR WAY? Or will it be a messier divorce/parting?

Edited by caulfield12

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...ired/index.html

Wonderful Posnanski article, I was thinking as I was reading all these articles about the Royals that maybe I have been undervaluing Ozzie Guillen by quite a margin....

Now maybe Cooper or Walker or any number of candidates could do a better job strategically, but it's really hard to find someone who loves putting on that White Sox uniform more than Guillen. And to find someone who can understand and motivate each player individually, to press the right buttons a the right time.

Whether Guillen has "lost" the Sox or not (and I don't think he has), it was clear that Hillman lost the Royals a LONG LONG time ago.

Maybe Ozzie with an almost completely new cast of players will be able to get things turned around again. I would much rather try with Ozzie than someone like Buddy Bell, that's for sure.

The mismanagement of Alex Gordon is going to go down as one of the worst moves in franchise history.

When does the player face responsibility for his own suckiness?

Gordon has been hurt a lot and hasn't done squat when healthy.

Trey Hillman was actually fired at 2am the morning before it actually came out. Dayton Moore gave him the option of managing one last game, or just addressing the team before their game yesterday. Hillman chose to coach one more game...to "go out a winner"...pretty classy move. Even though no one goes out of KC "a winner".

GMs must feel dirty when they fire managers who have no chance.

I mean, Hillman had to be tempted to tell Moore to go f*** himself.

I mean, last year they acquired Jacobs for a year. They got Guillen who has been a disaster.

Yuni has had 2 straight good games against the Sox, but he's sucked.

Middle relief disaster after disaster. No good set up man for years.

Bad defense for years, not really the manager's fault.

Not much hitting on paper for years.

Hillman may have screwed up Meche and makes the usual mistakes you can second guess, but nobody can manage that roster to greatness.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:49 AM)
GMs must feel dirty when they fire managers who have no chance.

I mean, Hillman had to be tempted to tell Moore to go f*** himself.

I mean, last year they acquired Jacobs for a year. They got Guillen who has been a disaster.

Yuni has had 2 straight good games against the Sox, but he's sucked.

Middle relief disaster after disaster. No good set up man for years.

Bad defense for years, not really the manager's fault.

Not much hitting on paper for years.

Hillman may have screwed up Meche and makes the usual mistakes you can second guess, but nobody can manage that roster to greatness.

But there's a counter point you can a\make. He's been given more talent than what they've shown on the field. Alex Gordon's development has been a disaster. They have spent money on potential setup men (Juan Cruz, Kyle Farnsworth) and had the guys not perform on the field.