Interesting Spin

JohnCangelosi

One word:

Pathetic.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Start at DH 'once out of a lifetime' for Vizquel

KANSAS CITY -- Omar Vizquel acknowledged he had to do a second take when he saw the lineup posted Friday. Vizquel, who broke into the Majors in 1989 with the Mariners, was the White Sox designated hitter.

It was the first time in his 20-plus years in the Major Leagues that Vizquel was the DH.

"It just felt strange," Vizquel said Saturday. "No doubt it was different. I felt anxious to go on the field. My thing is the defense, and everybody knows that. I feel I needed to go on the field. You always have to do everything once. I think that's a good experience to feel what a DH felt before, because I've never done it.

"I went down the lineup and said, 'DH, Wow.' You usually see the DH in the top part of the lineup, but never as the last hitter."

While Vizquel, 43, is one of the best fielding shortstops in the history of the game, maybe being a DH would extend his career for another 10 years.

"Not a chance," Vizquel said and smiled at the suggestion. "It is once out of a lifetime."

Vizquel said he did not get the lineup card.

"I should have asked for it," he said.

He went 1-for-4 as the DH.

There is a reason why Vizquel is still playing baseball at his age and not coaching it. It's his defense. To see him in the line-up as a DH, albeit for one game is inexcusable. He is not a Designated Hitter, on this team, he's a Designated Fielder/Tutor and that's it. He has 5 hits out of 35 this year, I want to say 1 out of those 5 hits was hit hard. Guillen is an idiot.

You can't justify this move. Literally, there's no reason that this to have ever had to happen. Everyone involved in making this decision deserved to be fired the minute it was made. This is not hyperbole (maybe, a little); but i firmly believe that Dh'ing Vizquel is an absolute joke and an embarrassment to this organization.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
One does question Ozzie's game plan from time to time.

Not really. Just put all of the player's names in a hat and draw. Just make sure Kotsay's name is on there only once. I think Ozzie has 5 entries for him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
You can't justify this move. Literally, there's no reason that this to have ever had to happen. Everyone involved in making this decision deserved to be fired the minute it was made. This is not hyperbole; Dh'ing Vizquel is an absolute joke and an embarrassment to this organization.

Sure it isn't. Does it really matter? Seriously? Would Nix have had a 5 run HR if he was DHing?

Who the f*** cares at this point.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Would Teahen have made that many defensive mistakes had Vizquel been playing 3b?

Great example. Last night, 9th inning, ground ball went past Teahen that Vizquel might have fielded. Put a hitter on in the 9th inning. Because of that, Thornton had an extra batter to pitch to. While pitching to that batter...Thornton felt some tightness/weakness in his elbow that he started shaking off.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Sure it isn't. Does it really matter? Seriously? Would Nix have had a 5 run HR if he was DHing?

Who the f*** cares at this point.

I care. I want my manager to continue to optimize the lineup and give us the best opportunity to win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
Great example. Last night, 9th inning, ground ball went past Teahen that Vizquel might have fielded. Put a hitter on in the 9th inning. Because of that, Thornton had an extra batter to pitch to. While pitching to that batter...Thornton felt some tightness/weakness in his elbow that he started shaking off.

Yes, because the ONLY way Thornton would have gotten hurt was if by some chance the stars aligned and he had faced that exact hitter at that exact moment. Give me a break, quit reaching for s***. If he didn't pop something against that hitter he would have popped it the next time he warmed up.

Complain about 90% of our team hitting <.200 or pitching>5 ERA....not stupid crap like that.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
Yes, because the ONLY way Thornton would have gotten hurt was if by some chance the stars aligned and he had faced that exact hitter at that exact moment. Give me a break, quit reaching for s***. If he didn't pop something against that hitter he would have popped it the next time he warmed up.

Complain about 90% of our team hitting <.200 or pitching>5 ERA....not stupid crap like that.

I agree about the injury, but there really is zero reason to have Omar Vizquel sitting on the bench in a close game you are winning late when you have Mark Teahen playing 3B unless he's sick or something. If you don't use him then, he's a total waste of a roster spot.

Everyone involved in making this decision deserved to be fired the minute it was made.

WIth that logic, Oz should be immediately fired for bringing in Pierre and KW should definitely be fired for bringing in Teahen.

And whoever decided to move Beckham to second should be immediately fired.

Also, whoever decided to not sign Thome for cheap should be fired.

Whoever did't work harder to make Pods feel the love and take a reasonable deal should be fired (management never acted like it wanted Pods his 3 year 'demand' notwithstanding). Also Oz should be fired for falling for Kotsay.

And Walker should be fired for ruining Beckham.

Cooper should be fired for the s*** effort from this once in a lifetime rotation.

Fire everybody.

Edited by greg775

Honestly, playing Vizquel at DH isn't a big deal with Quentin being out. On the list of things hurting this team this season, playing Vizquel one game at DH isn't in the top 50. Now, if you want to talk about him being a waste of a roster spot, I'll fully support that. No reason for him and Nix to be on the same roster.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 04:31 AM)
Yes, it is. It's unquestionably the dumbest baseball move i've ever seen in my lifetime.

It wasn't even close to being the dumbest baseball move Ozzie had made in a week, as that honor goes to leaving Buehrle in to face Wells last Friday.

Once in a lifetime rotation Greg? Going into 2006, we heard the Sox had the greatest rotation ever. So that makes it twice in a 5 year span that it's the greatest rotation ever.

I should have put it in green or whatever. I was referring to the mad talk in the offseason how it was supposedly the greatest rotation ever. And all that crap that gets spewed out in the winter. Like the fact Mark Teahen might be fine at third base, when anybody with a brain knew he wouldn't be fine there. Beckham starts to learn how to play the position pretty damn well, so they move him for Mark Teahen. My god. This isn't the reason Gordon is sucking at the plate I'm sure, but still, way to f*** with him, white Sox.

Right now we should move Gordon back to third, move Lexi back to second, let Omar play short the rest of the year as our OC type acquisition and leave Gordon at third and Lexi at second the next 10 years while working on a new plan at short.

Oh wait, too late to do that. Alexei was deemed our phenom at short.

Edited by greg775