White Sox vs Royals 5-16-10 @ 1:10 pm

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Hitting in AAA though isn't going to teach him to make more contact. Especially not in Charlotte, where HR's are so easy to come by.

I agree, he needs to get familiar with the speed of MLB games. I'll be honest, with the Sox showing absolutely no signs of breaking out of this season long funk, I hope we continue to lose games in the standings to force some changes.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
It won't matter anyway, unless there's an injury to Jones/Rios/Pierre.

No way Danks comes up to sit on the bench, and Ozzie's never going to take Juan Pierre out of the line-up. Rios is ensconced in CF for now, and Danks doesn't bring very much value to the big league roster at the corner OF spots.

Theoretically, you could move Rios back to RF and play Danks in CF, but that's close to crazy talk with how well Alex has played, you don't mess with that and take Rios out of CF, you'd play Danks in LF or RF.

Maybe if the only option was Vizquel/Teahen or Danks as your DH, then I'd argue you have to try to see if Danks can come up and catch fire.

To me, Danks equals a more gifted and potentially talented Brian Anderson, but still more of a 4th OF unless he figures out the offensive side of the game.

Of course...there's 1 other option you haven't given...if he keeps hitting, I still think Rios is your best possible trade bait. You save $12 million, and he's the kind of guy that you'd legitimately hold out for a top, A-level prospect in exchange for.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
To me, Danks equals a more gifted and potentially talented Brian Anderson, but still more of a 4th OF unless he figures out the offensive side of the game.

Brian Anderson had just as much talent, IMO. A lot better power.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
I agree, he needs to get familiar with the speed of MLB games. I'll be honest, with the Sox showing absolutely no signs of breaking out of this season long funk, I hope we continue to lose games in the standings to force some changes.

Honestly, having AJ become a 10/5 player in Mid June might actually be a blessing...it forces KW to make his first decision on a player within just under a month from now. He can't hold out until July on AJ.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
Honestly, having AJ become a 10/5 player in Mid June might actually be a blessing...it forces KW to make his first decision on a player within just under a month from now. He can't hold out until July on AJ.

agreed

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Flowers isn't going to get any playing time unless AJ is moved. He just won't. Ozzie isn't benching a struggling veteran for a kid. Neither would most any other manager. And AJ would probably hate having his replacement up next to him. That would be terrible for the kid too.

You could see how uncomfortable this was in ST. It's why Flowers just sort of disappeared, Ozzie's way of avoiding a problem.

Obviously AJ doesn't really want to mentor Flowers, he just has too much pride to give up his position or see himself being replaced. It's a very different situation from Cora and Vizquel working with Beckham, Nix and Ramirez.

But you have to trade AJ and open up the position, and roll the dice. Trading Flowers for A-Gone or whatever, that's an option no longer on the table. You might completely "bust" him as a prospect, but I don't think so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
But you have to trade AJ and open up the position, and roll the dice. Trading Flowers for A-Gone or whatever, that's an option no longer on the table. You might completely "bust" him as a prospect, but I don't think so.

If calling up a legitimate prospect with a .900+ OPS in AAA causes him to bust, then you have some serious problems developing people at the big league level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Of course...there's 1 other option you haven't given...if he keeps hitting, I still think Rios is your best possible trade bait. You save $12 million, and he's the kind of guy that you'd legitimately hold out for a top, A-level prospect in exchange for.

This is where we disagree.

With so much uncertainty now about Quentin and Beckham, not to mention Alexei Ramirez....I dig my heels in, make a line in the sand and start building around Alex Rios.

You would go the Indians' route and gamble you could strike gold with an acquisition where you get 2-3 players back like Sizemore, Phillips and Cliff Lee.

If KW could get anything approximating that type of youthful talent infusion, trade Rios, by all means.

But teams are wary of parting with young talent. The Yankees might already be regretting the Austin Jackson/Granderson deal. They would be, certainly, if they had to worry a scintilla about their payrolls going forward. It's like "play money" for them.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Brian Anderson had just as much talent, IMO. A lot better power.

Funny that BA and Borchard will both mostly be remembered for homers (against King Felix, and Joe's huge blast)...and maybe BA's play to end the Game 163 drama.

Yet neither one of them could hit for enough "consistent" power (just flashes) to survive.

How many times did we hear that BA could put up Torii Hunter's offensive line? I'd say 25 times over a 3 to 4 year period.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
We're in a position for a top 3 pick next year, right? That's pretty damn exciting in an Anthony Rendon/pitcher led draft.

What are the odds that holds up and actually works out though? We were in position for a top 3 pick most of 2007, then we got hot and got stuck with this scrub hitting .190 at 2b.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
With so much uncertainty now about Quentin and Beckham, not to mention Alexei Ramirez....I dig my heels in, make a line in the sand and start building around Alex Rios.

You would go the Indians' route and gamble you could strike gold with an acquisition where you get 2-3 players back like Sizemore, Phillips and Cliff Lee.

If KW could get anything approximating that type of youthful talent infusion, trade Rios, by all means.

But teams are wary of parting with young talent. The Yankees might already be regretting the Austin Jackson/Granderson deal. They would be, certainly, if they had to worry a scintilla about their payrolls going forward. It's like "play money" for them.

IMO, you target a legitimate #1 prospect and a couple lower level pieces if you're trading Rios...but you certainly make the effort.

If you're selling off Konerko, Pierzynski, Jones, and trying to extract some salary savings from Jenks and Linebrink, then you're going to need a whole lot of replacement players next year. Having both money and a near MLB ready player from some other team can help with 2 of those spots.

If you don't at least try to deal Rios, you're only doing it 1/2-assed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
What are the odds that holds up and actually works out though? We were in position for a top 3 pick most of 2007, then we got hot and got stuck with this scrub hitting .190 at 2b.

I don't see this team every really picking it up to the point where we'd get out of the top ten in a pretty deep draft.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:55 PM)
I don't see this team every really picking it up to the point where we'd get out of the top ten in a pretty deep draft.

Great. So we can draft another top prospect who rips apart the league and then falls apart in his 2nd season.

(I don't necessarily believe that, I'm just furious with 15 right now).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Always the optimist. :lolhitting I like to think we'll hit the jackpot one of these days.

You know those people who win the lottery and then a year later they're broke? Or they win the lottery and realize they're the Clippers?

That's how Beckham has me feeling right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Great. So we can draft another top prospect who rips apart the league and then falls apart in his 2nd season.

(I don't necessarily believe that, I'm just furious with 15 right now).

Just call Beckham "Josh Caruso" for now on until he earns being called differently.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
This team is terrible.

You are right when it comes to the word "team".

The starting pitching is not there. We know the hitting isn't. The defense is bad. You have an iffy bullpen. You have a manager who thinks the answer to everything is Mark Kotsay.

I'm waiting for them to sign Bonds, Sosa or Palmeiro to play LF.

It will remind me of the 2001 season and bringing in Canseco, who actually played pretty well for us, compared to most of the veteran "over the hill" guys we've brought in 3-5 years too late in their careers...they're (Boyer and Co.) going to have to be very creative if they don't want to end up 22nd-26th in MLB attendance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
You know those people who win the lottery and then a year later they're broke? Or they win the lottery and realize they're the Clippers?

That's how Beckham has me feeling right now.

This Beckham thing is such a kick in the nuts. We all had such high hopes for him, we practically built him a statue outside the park, and to see him come out like this... it's really disheartening. I think this might be the most disappointing aspect of this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I'm waiting for them to sign Bonds, Sosa or Palmeiro to play LF.

It will remind me of the 2001 season and bringing in Canseco, who actually played pretty well for us, compared to most of the veteran "over the hill" guys we've brought in 3-5 years too late in their careers...they're (Boyer and Co.) going to have to be very creative if they don't want to end up 22nd-26th in MLB attendance.

Or they could trade to get Ken Griffey.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
This Beckham thing is such a kick in the nuts. We all had such high hopes for him, we practically built him a statue outside the park, and to see him come out like this... it's really disheartening. I think this might be the most disappointing aspect of this year.

Whose fault is that? Soto tanked his 2nd year. (toked too)