5/16 Games

danman31

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I really like seeing Viciedo develop power. He's on pace for a great year, assuming that k-rate works itself out.

His K rate is fine. It's only at 24% right now and that's after an awful April. He's getting hot and the K rate is going closer to his normal rate. He was under 20% last year. Dating back to April 26 he has 12 K for a 17.1% K rate. This is why you wait until at least 150 PA before looking too much into Ks.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Gilmore with his first home run on the year! Stud.

He is definitely hitting like one. But one big problem is his defense. With all his issues, I can't seeing him develop into a MLB-caliber third baseman, which means he would have to move to second base or a corner outfield spot. With the corner spot, he doesn't have the power or the speed to compensate for the lack of power. So I gotta believe he will be a second baseman should he make it the major leagues. For how well he is hitting average-wise, his OPS is still sub .800. Nice to see a big rebound season from him, but still a lot to improve.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 16, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
He is definitely hitting like one. But one big problem is his defense. With all his issues, I can't seeing him develop into a MLB-caliber third baseman, which means he would have to move to second base or a corner outfield spot. With the corner spot, he doesn't have the power or the speed to compensate for the lack of power. So I gotta believe he will be a second baseman should he make it the major leagues. For how well he is hitting average-wise, his OPS is still sub .800. Nice to see a big rebound season from him, but still a lot to improve.

I was being sarcastic with the stud thing. I really don't like him (as a prospect) at all. He's all average at this point. He doesn't walk. He doesn't hit for any power. Once the BABIP normalizes his numbers will be extremely mediocre.

Would anyone be talking about Gilmore if he were hitting .290/.310/.340? Because that's essentially what he is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
The next "stage" of this season couldn't come soon enough...

Nobody's going to come out to the ballpark for walk-up sales anyway, so let's see what we've got ASAP.

Aside from seeing what we have in our prospects, I'm looking forward to the draft. The optimist in me is hoping the organization (finally) realizes the importance of a fruitful farm system and ups the draft spending accordingly. Not holding my breath though.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:54 PM)
Aside from seeing what we have in our prospects, I'm looking forward to the draft. The optimist in me is hoping the organization (finally) realizes the importance of a fruitful farm system and ups the draft spending accordingly. Not holding my breath though.

I like Laumann a lot. He seems to have a pretty good idea about this organizations needs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
I like Laumann a lot. He seems to have a pretty good idea about this organizations needs.

I have no problem with him at all. I do have a problem with the resources he is allocated.

Edited by DirtySox

I really like seeing Viciedo develop power. He's on pace for a great year, assuming that k-rate works itself out.

Danks 2-5 with a 2b, 3b, 2 k's.

Embree gets lit up.

Hawks always says that Charlotte is a hitters park, does that make Viciedo's numbers inflated?

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ May 16, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
Hawks always says that Charlotte is a hitters park, does that make Viciedo's numbers inflated?

Viciedo needs to hit in a hitters park. He needs to learn to be rewarded for hitting the ball hard and focus on developing that power.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Gilmore with his first home run on the year! Stud.

Haha.. glad I wasn't the only one who got a chuckle seeing that one on the box score.

Shoemaker is on fire.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
No more than they were "deflated" last year by playing in Birmingham, one of the toughest hitters' parks in the minors.

While you should be right, his splits last year were very even. This year he has a 1.074 OPS at home and a .594 on the road. It's still early for h/a splits to be accurate, but it'd be nice to see that away number go up.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)

This is why I never look forward to the draft.

Is Marquez finally "figuring it out?"

Remenowsky's peripherals are getting back to what they were last year, he's got 31 K in 22 IP now, against 7 BB. Core results aren't as good though - 2.78 ERA and 1.15 WHIP are still good, but about a run worse than last year on the ERA, and thw WHIP is just slightly higher. I suppose it was highly unlikely he'd put up numbers just like last year again this year, since his 2009 was a bit ridiculous.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
Is Marquez finally "figuring it out?"

IMO, you can't count last year and maybe even the first couple starts this year against him. Dude was pitching with bone spurs in his elbow. Santana couldn't pull that off last year, and we expect Marquez to?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 16, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Morel, 2-3. AVG up to .308.

Do work Brent!

I will go on the record as saying that Brent will be a more than adequate replacement for Tehean in 2012. His defense is absolutely stunning, i watched him in a couple of spring training games and he didn't do anything but make pick after pick while showing a strong, accurate arm. I also think that his offense will be more than adequate, he'll hit for average with some pop, probably around 15-20hr's and lots of doubles to go along with good speed for a 3B. His power numbers will be deflated this year at B-Ham but don't let that fool you, he can hit it out of the park regularly. One of my favorite prospects right now.

Embree gets lit up.

It's not a matter of if, but when the White Sox release him. 6 runs in only 1.1 innings of work. I say he's cut loose after 1 or 2 more outings.