Gavin Floyd

Dick Allen

With all the ripping of the White Sox hitters and deservedly so, how come this guy gets a free pass? It most likely will be the second year in a row he's going to go into June with an ERA hovering around 7.00. Maybe he pitches better later, maybe not, but these games still count. If Jose Contreras put up the same numbers people would have been calling for the White Sox to eat his contract. Gavin has sucked this season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 07:58 PM)
With all the ripping of the White Sox hitters and deservedly so, how come this guy gets a free pass? It most likely will be the second year in a row he's going to go into June with an ERA hovering around 7.00. Maybe he pitches better later, maybe not, but these games still count. If Jose Contreras put up the same numbers people would have been calling for the White Sox to eat his contract. Gavin has sucked this season.

There's essentially 6 players on the entire roster absolved from any blame for this abomination of a season so far: Danks, Thornton, Santos, Konerko, Jones and Rios.

Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras, what an apt comparison. One was an aging starter well past his prime making much more than he deserved, another a young pitcher entering what should be his best years signed to a very reasonable deal. According to Fangraphs, Floyd's value to the White Sox has been $30 million across the past two seasons. After today's game, Floyd's BABIP will be close to .400, which, if you're not aware, is abnormally high. It will be the highest or 2nd highest in MLB of any starter. More balls are falling for hits than usual considering the percentage of line drives, fly balls, and grounders he's given up. The BABIP will come back down to earth, as will Floyd's numbers. It would be foolish to give up on him now. But if you want to have a pointless thread to make sure we hate on all our underperforming players evenly in the middle of May, have at it. You were wrong years ago when you said Floyd was worthless, and seem to have trouble letting it go.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Gavin Floyd and Jose Contreras, what an apt comparison. One was an aging starter well past his prime making much more than he deserved, another a young pitcher entering what should be his best years signed to a very reasonable deal. According to Fangraphs, Floyd's value to the White Sox has been $30 million across the past two seasons. After today's game, Floyd's BABIP will be close to .400, which, if you're not aware, is abnormally high. It will be the highest or 2nd highest in MLB of any starter. More balls are falling for hits than usual considering the percentage of line drives, fly balls, and grounders he's given up. The BABIP will come back down to earth, as will Floyd's numbers. It would be foolish to give up on him now. But if you want to have a pointless thread to make sure we hate on all our underperforming players evenly in the middle of May, have at it. You were wrong years ago when you said Floyd was worthless, and seem to have trouble letting it go.

Wow. 3E8 had no mercy with this post.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)

His last 14 starts going back to last season he is 2-8 with a 5.97 ERA. And he's been worse this year. He was horrid the first 2 months of last year. How do you explain that? Is there some fangraphs thing that says that's worth $20 million? But you're right, look away, there's nothing to see here except the second coming of Roy Halladay. And BTW, his ERA can drop a couple full points and he still wouldn't be having a good season. If there are going to be posts and posts bashing Quentin and Beckham and AJ, there should be some bashing the others who aren't performing either.

Edited by Dick Allen

Fair post. Gavin hasn't received much criticism on here. I know I've given him a major free pass. When I think of Gavin, I think good thoughts and he's sucked as you pointed out.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)
There's essentially 6 players on the entire roster absolved from any blame for this abomination of a season so far: Danks, Thornton, Santos, Konerko, Jones and Rios.

I'd have to say 7 players, Lucy/Castro combo has done everything you can ask for from the backup C spot. The fact that I am mentioning that shows how bad this team is.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
I'm surprised that a few people in this thread are still posting after betting against Gavin a few years ago.

Yea, I seem to remember one such poster wasn't going to post anymore. :lol:

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
and juan pierre (7 mil) is only earning 14 times more than andruw jones. (500k)

And has an OBP about .050 points lower as well as an OPS nearly .400 points lower than Andruw.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)

The stuff is there, the defense behind him hasn't been great and he's given up a lot of cheap hits. I'm not concerned about Gavin. Clearly his production has been disappointing, but he's the least of my worries. I said as much last season too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
The stuff is there, the defense behind him hasn't been great and he's given up a lot of cheap hits. I'm not concerned about Gavin. Clearly his production has been disappointing, but he's the least of my worries. I said as much last season too.

One thing that was particularly noticeable yesterday (which I also noted in my Soxnet.net writeup which I think everyone should visit) is that Gavin had his good curve ball working for a couple innings, he was throwing it for strikes early, but once he got a person on and had to throw from the stretch, he lost some of the snap on it, some of the control on it, and started elevating it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Gavin lost his composure, and the game, when Alexei/Pierre/Rios let the ball drop between them(which i blame on Alexei). His stuff was good yesterday, he was cruising until that happened

Another facet that this team really sucks at. The left side of the field lacks solid fielders. I'm still trying to figure out the true logic in acquiring Teahan. It just solidifies my evidence that defense is the lowest priority in this organization.

So far the only thing I see this team is good at is stealing bases.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Gavin lost his composure, and the game, when Alexei/Pierre/Rios let the ball drop between them(which i blame on Alexei). His stuff was good yesterday, he was cruising until that happened

IIRC, that happened to Gavin a few times this year with bad defense not necessarily showing up as errors.