Anyone happy the Padres are doing well?

Is anyone else happy that the Padres are doing well, and thus they will probably hold on to Adrian Gonzalez and not entice Kenny to throw what is left of our farm at him?

In an already seemingly lost season, I think the only thing that is worse is Kenny trying to win over fans by trading all of our best prospects to reel in Gonzalez to a team that will probably never catch the Twins.

Yeah the Padres doing good makes KW look like he knows what hes doing. Building a team with great starting pitching, a bullpen, and no offense whatsover (AKA the KW 2010 plan), has led the Padres to a 22-12 start. Pretty amazing huh.

I think the jest of the original post was missed here. No one is happy that another team is doing well when the Sox aren't, but the fact that the Padres are playing well somewhat diminishes the possibility of Gonzalez being dealt. Coupled with the fact that the Sox are playing so poorly, the chances of KW selling the farm for Gonzalez are getting slimmer and slimmer.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:21 AM)
I think the jest of the original post was missed here. No one is happy that another team is doing well when the Sox aren't, but the fact that the Padres are playing well somewhat diminishes the possibility of Gonzalez being dealt. Coupled with the fact that the Sox are playing so poorly, the chances of KW selling the farm for Gonzalez are getting slimmer and slimmer.

I know exactly what he meant. And I don't give two s***s about what the Padres are doing. Contrary to Soxtalk belief, Kenny is not a bafoon. He wouldn't trade (and I don't think we have the ammunition anyway) for AG if we're 8-10 games, or even more than that, behind the Twins.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:52 AM)
I know exactly what he meant. And I don't give two s***s about what the Padres are doing. Contrary to Soxtalk belief, Kenny is not a bafoon. He wouldn't trade (and I don't think we have the ammunition anyway) for AG if we're 8-10 games, or even more than that, behind the Twins.

There's no way would the Sox pay him what the Yankees think he's worth.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)
Is anyone else happy that the Padres are doing well, and thus they will probably hold on to Adrian Gonzalez and not entice Kenny to throw what is left of our farm at him?

In an already seemingly lost season, I think the only thing that is worse is Kenny trying to win over fans by trading all of our best prospects to reel in Gonzalez to a team that will probably never catch the Twins.

I hate the idea located in your second sentence. If we were to trade for Adrian, or any big named young player, it wouldn't just be for 2010. A guy like that becomes the Paul Konerko style anchor of the middle of the line up for many, many years. For some reason people took the same mentality towards Rios and Peavy.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
There's no way would the Sox pay him what the Yankees think he's worth.

If we trade for him, all we have to do is fine the price he wants, not necesarily what he is worth. There is a difference most of the time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I hate the idea located in your second sentence. If we were to trade for Adrian, or any big named young player, it wouldn't just be for 2010. A guy like that becomes the Paul Konerko style anchor of the middle of the line up for many, many years. For some reason people took the same mentality towards Rios and Peavy.

The difference is that this is Gonzalez final contract year, w/ a club option for 2011. Rios is here through 2014 w/ 2015 club option, and Peavy is here through 2012 with 2013 club option.

That is NOT the same, especially considering that Gonzalez will make more money than both those guys in his new contract.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
The difference is that this is Gonzalez final contract year, w/ a club option for 2011. Rios is here through 2014 w/ 2015 club option, and Peavy is here through 2012 with 2013 club option.

That is NOT the same, especially considering that Gonzalez will make more money than both those guys in his new contract.

We wouldn't trade for him without a very, very good understanding of a contract extension. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that is what has stopped past potential deals for him.,

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Yeah, I guess Konerko and Jenks are about $20 right there, but I am still not sure I want sooo much money tied up into Peavy and Gonzalez.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and I'm too dumpy and lazy to look them up, but Peavy and Rios make up about $20 million for 2012? And I imagine Gonzalez would command upwards of $15-$20 million. So, yeah I agree. It would be nice, but having $40 million of a $95-$100 million payroll tied in three guys is iffy.

Edited by hogan873

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
I'm actually more disappointed that the DBags aren't closer in the standings...because they need bullpen help in the worst way!!!

They haven't exactly called it quits yet. With the Dodgers making a run, we're going to see the Pads fall off. Assuming parity returns to that divison, and the Dodgers don't pull too far away, some D-backs prospects could be had.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and I'm too dumpy and lazy to look them up, but Peavy and Rios make up about $20 million for 2012? And I imagine Gonzalez would command upwards of $15-$20 million. So, yeah I agree. It would be nice, but having $40 million of a $95-$100 million payroll tied in three guys is iffy.

Actually, in 2011, Peavy and Rios will combine for $28M. Gonzalez has an option for 2011, so lets assume we sign him to a deal, by 2012, we are looking at $29M from Peavy and Rios, with another $17-$20M from Gonzalez, so you could be talking $45-50M, or literally HALF of our payroll in 3 players.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
I'm actually more disappointed that the DBags aren't closer in the standings...because they need bullpen help in the worst way!!!

I agree. They are the ideal team to take Jenks or Linebrink, or even both if Kenny can do so. Then Kenny can finally get Gerardo Parra in return!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
Actually, in 2011, Peavy and Rios will combine for $28M. Gonzalez has an option for 2011, so lets assume we sign him to a deal, by 2012, we are looking at $29M from Peavy and Rios, with another $17-$20M from Gonzalez, so you could be talking $45-50M, or literally HALF of our payroll in 3 players.

Yikes! I was way off. That's even scarier.