My Quick 2 Cents

SoxFan1

The 2005 Houston Astros started 15-30 and went on to win the NL Pennant. The season is not over yet.

We know we have a pitching staff that could be amongst the best in the league. The hitting will come around eventually, it simply HAS to. We won't bat .227 as a team for the entire season.

Be patient...

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

=(

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
The 2005 Houston Astros started 15-30 and went on to win the NL Pennant. The season is not over yet.

We know we have a pitching staff that could be amongst the best in the league. The hitting will come around eventually, it simply HAS to. We won't bat .227 as a team for the entire season.

Be patient...

I don't post often, but this time I have to.

A good part of me agrees with you. Sure, it's insanely and ridiculously discouraging now, but win lose or draw, I'm with this team to the end. I know that the chances of this happeneing again are remote , but I saw the 83 Sox. I remember ragging my brains out at the start, BUT

I still had some glimmer of hope when I knew what we had in a pitching staff (Same as now!) I knew we had guys that could hit (same as now). I believed in our manager that he had a DRIVE TO WIN (Same as now). We eventually stuck with it and after the all star break, we did not lose one series.

All said, I would rather fight to the end with what we have, than to sell ourt and bring in a bunch of guys that may just turn out to be wannabees. At least with what we have, we know that there are track records of a lot of guys that can give us a healthy run.

Also..........even though you can't really count on it.....strange things do happen. REMEMBER how dominant we were one year, and then Thomas and Ordonez took a dump with injuries at around the same time, and it killed us. You don't hope that it happens, but other teams can experience the same thing at any given time. Scenario...........how would we be if say.........Miguel Cabrera and Verlander went down?

Morneau,and Liriano. And we stayed healthy!!! I know that I am reaching for straws, but in the end, whether anything like that ever happens or not, I would much rather fight with what we have than to bring in a bunch of young kids and watch more triple AAA ball with absolutley no hope of turning it around for the remainder of this season, as well as possibly next.

Like I said, I don't post often, but when I do, there are usually quite a bit negative replies fired back. And that's OK! That's what makes this board fun..........reading everyone's entitled opinions. But regardless..it's baseball season, even amongst the discouragement, I can still enjoy being a DIE-HARD Sox fan. I just love the game of baseball, and enjoy strutting wearing my Sox gear when I walk around outside..............regarless how they play! OK....I'm Done! Fire away boys!!!

Be patient...

And I really don't feel this is true.

This reminds me of that meaningless college basketball stat, where I hear that the reason 2010 Duke shouldn't beat 2010 UNC is because 1956 Duke had a great record against them. We're talking about completely different players under completely different circumstances, run by completely different people, in a completely different time.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Be patient...

Respectfully I have to disagree. I think this be patient type of mentality is waiting way too long. We are almot one fourth of the way through the season and there are zero signs of contention. I might agree if we had a good offensive team but we don't. It's true they won't hit .227 all season but I thought thus was a bad offense in the offseason and its actually even worse than I thought.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)
The 2009 Washington Nationals started 12-25. They finished 59-103.

Heaven forbid anyone actually looks at the glass as half-full...People are not stupid. They watch the the same games you do. This team sucks right now. Theres no denying it...but it's not IMPOSSIBLE that this team turns it around. It's not likely...but not impossible. We act as though this team just is absolutely incapable of succeeding. Of course it doesn't look like the line-up is well constructed right now. We have four guys batting at or around .200. These guys aren't great hitters, BUT by the end of the year I would put good money that Kotsays .174 will be .245, Alexei's .240 will be .260, CQ's .180 will be at least .230, AJ's .200 will be .250, Teahens .218 will be .260, Pierre's .247 will be .280, Becks .188 will be .225, and those are AT WORST...The offense will improve. As will the pitching. We will win more games...whether it's enough or not...It probably won't be. But the guy who started this thread is right. The team won't hit .227 all year. There is hope for a turnaround. The odds decrease with every game, but throwing in the towel 37 games into the season is just stupid. There are 125 freakin' games left.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Heaven forbid anyone actually looks at the glass as half-full...People are not stupid. They watch the the same games you do. This team sucks right now. Theres no denying it...but it's not IMPOSSIBLE that this team turns it around. It's not likely...but not impossible. We act as though this team just is absolutely incapable of succeeding. Of course it doesn't look like the line-up is well constructed right now. We have four guys batting at or around .200. These guys aren't great hitters, BUT by the end of the year I would put good money that Kotsays .174 will be .245, Alexei's .240 will be .260, CQ's .180 will be at least .230, AJ's .200 will be .250, Teahens .218 will be .260, Pierre's .247 will be .280, Becks .188 will be .225, and those are AT WORST...The offense will improve. As will the pitching. We will win more games...whether it's enough or not...It probably won't be. But the guy who started this thread is right. The team won't hit .227 all year. There is hope for a turnaround. The odds decrease with every game, but throwing in the towel 37 games into the season is just stupid. There are 125 freakin' games left.

throwing in the towel is stupid. but so is sticking with something that is not working. because averages of .245, .260, .230, .250, .260, .280 and .225 are not going to come close to being good enough to win this division.

The Stros had Bagwell and Ensberg basically destroy the ball that year, not to mention had a catcher put up a .351 OBP and having a couple of career years (and this was when Biggio was declining) and a great bench. Add to the fact that Clemens, Oswalt and Pettitte (Becke was solid and Rodriguez was serviceable and pretty much their entire bullpen) were amazing that year, they previously fired their manager prior to last season and added Garner, a bit better defensively, the National League effect and the fact they won the Wild Card (people always seem to think they won the division that year, and the W.C. is NOT comming out of the AL Central) pretty much ends the comparison.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
We're hitting .227ish with a .238 team BABIP. That cannot stay that low that long.

It can stay long enough for us to be a non-factor in the race for the division. Remember how insane the Twins hits with RISP last year? And we all said they'd fall back to the pack? It didn't happen.

It's not surprising, because guys like Kotsay, Vizquel, Pierre, Beckham, AJ and Teahen haven't been hitting the ball with much, if any, authority.

When Quentin doesn't get an XB hit, he pops it up somewhere or pulls a pretty weak grounder somewhere on the left side of the diamond the majority of the time.

Alexei has struck out less and hit a TON of foul homers because he's just a bit too quick at the plate....but he has also got himself out a ton on pretty weakly hit groundballs as well.

Konerko and Rios have been the hitters who have squared up the most balls, and Konerko's gone into one of his patented "mini-slides" now as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
It's not surprising, because guys like Kotsay, Vizquel, Pierre, Beckham, AJ and Teahen haven't been hitting the ball with much, if any, authority.

When Quentin doesn't get an XB hit, he pops it up somewhere or pulls a pretty weak grounder somewhere on the left side of the diamond the majority of the time.

Alexei has struck out less and hit a TON of foul homers because he's just a bit too quick at the plate....but he has also got himself out a ton on pretty weakly hit groundballs as well.

Konerko and Rios have been the hitters who have squared up the most balls, and Konerko's gone into one of his patented "mini-slides" now as well.

this is true and the sox are one of the lowest teams in BABIP for 3 years running now. i dont think this is a coincedence. i am not a big believer in this stat that everything evens out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
This reminds me of that meaningless college basketball stat, where i hear that the reason 2010 Duke shouldn't beat 2010 UNC is becasue 1956 Duke had a great record against them. We're taking about completly different players under completly different circumstances, run by completly different people, in a completly different time.

Ha, it's obvious from this post that you don't know how to spell a certain word correctly. ;)

This team's BABIP doesn't have much to do with anything. The reason they have low batting averages is because they aren't doing s*** at the plate. See Beckham, Quentin, Kotsay, etc. You can't watch 10 at-bats from those guys and then come away thinking "oh, they've just been unlucky for an extended period of time"

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Ha, it's obvious from this post that you don't know how to spell a certain word correctly. ;)

It's "because" isn't it? That word's been breaking my balls this last week. I have no idea because it hasn't really been a problem for me before.

i can write, but i can't type it.

Edi: Holy, crap I just checked and it was completely and because. What the hell is happening to me?

Edited by Thunderbolt