My Quick 2 Cents

SoxFan1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:21 AM)
The 2005 Houston Astros started 15-30 and went on to win the NL Pennant. The season is not over yet.

We know we have a pitching staff that could be amongst the best in the league. The hitting will come around eventually, it simply HAS to. We won't bat .227 as a team for the entire season.

Be patient...

The sox BABIP has to improve. Flloyd has to pitch closer to his capabilities, Buehrle has to pitch closer to his capabilities. Etc Etc...we need a lot of things to go right.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
It's "because" isn't it? That word's been breaking my balls this last week. I have no idea because it hasn't really been a problem for me before.

i can write, but i can't type it.

Edi: Holy, crap I just checked and it was completely and because. What the hell is happening to me?

I was referring to "completely" because you did it like four times. Just giving you s***, though.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 17, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
this is true and the sox are one of the lowest teams in BABIP for 3 years running now. i dont think this is a coincedence. i am not a big believer in this stat that everything evens out.

Why is that? It's a mystery to me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
This reminds me of that meaningless college basketball stat, where I hear that the reason 2010 Duke shouldn't beat 2010 UNC is because 1956 Duke had a great record against them. We're talking about completely different players under completely different circumstances, run by completely different people, in a completely different time.

That's right. This pitching staff is more talented than the one that lead the 2005 to the World Series.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
And the offense is much, much worse.

Really? That team was 9th in the AL in offense at the end of the year, they're 11th in 2010. Carl Everett hit 3rd for most of the year. Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko started off the season in slumps that would fit in well with this team. This current team is on pace for 192 home runs; that team hit 200.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Really? That team was 9th in the AL in offense at the end of the year, they're 11th in 2010. Carl Everett hit 3rd for most of the year. Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko started off the season in slumps that would fit in well with this team. This current team is on pace for 192 home runs; that team hit 200.

9th in what? Batting average?

Biggest difference between 2005 and this team is that I feel like this team has lost more games when tied or leading heading into the 7th inning than the 2005 team did all season. Having one of the greatest bullpens ever makes any manager look good and hides the offensive struggles a team might have.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Biggest difference between 2005 and this team is that I feel like this team has lost more games when tied or leading heading into the 7th inning than the 2005 team did all season. Having one of the greatest bullpens ever makes any manager look good and hides the offensive struggles a team might have.

Plus we did a great job of coming back late in games as well. Aside from the Seattle series this team doesn't do much late in the game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
And the offense is much, much worse.

Currently.

Going into 2005 and even early in the year people were complaining about an offense that lost power with Carlos lee and Mags and were replaced with Carl Everett at DH and a no hit speedster in Pods. That coupled with a 3B in Crede who couldn't hit, an injury prone just signed Dye and a 2B in Iguchi who no one had seen play couldn't possibly produce enough runs.

The 2010 isn't going to win the World Series with the holes the pitching and offense have dug but there is evey reason to believe the offense will improve from a .227 batting average.

Edited by ptatc

I think the 2005 team was better at every position besides CF than this team. DH and 1b are probably a wash.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)

You mean "Biggest difference other than incredible starting pitching."

Agreed.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
I think the 2005 team was better at every position besides CF than this team. DH and 1b are probably a wash.

I would have to agree, as it's not likely Quentin and Beckham will match Dye/Iguchi's numbers even if they start to put things together.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 18, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I would have to agree, as it's not likely Quentin and Beckham will match Dye/Iguchi's numbers even if they start to put things together.

Am I the only one who remembers the early season slumps that left JD and Konerko hitting .200 around the end of May?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Am I the only one who remembers the early season slumps that left JD and Konerko hitting .200 around the end of May?

You mean Jermaine Dead? That's why I said meeting Dye and Iguchi's final numbers.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 18, 2010 -> 07:53 AM)
That's right. This pitching staff is more talented than the one that lead the 2005 to the World Series.

I agree 100%. We might not see the same results (ie a s***load of career years) but this pitching staff is loaded with talent.

Surely Beckham was expected by most to be better than Iguchi. Didn't Gordon's rookie numbers in 2/3rd's of a season come pretty close to what Tadahito did in his full seasons in 2005/06 (plus, those 06 offensive numbers were so sick the first 4 months).

Ramirez, same thing with his being a better overall player than Uribe. He's not showing it, but it was there in 2008 and for flashes over the last 18 months. Uribe's only really good offensive years happened early in his Sox career. as he faded late.

Of course, AJ is older now.

2010 Rios is head and shoulders better than 2005 Rowand.

Andruw Jones is certainly playing at a level equal to what we got out of DH overall that year (Thomas/Everett).

• 1 month later...

Ya, I know we are FAR away from winning an AL Pennant, but I enjoyed being laughed at.

Hopefully people realize it's a loooooong season. And even at this point, the White Sox can finish 15 games up and win the division by a mile, or finish in 4th.