Unload...

WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
The only players that need to be traded (in my mind) are A.J., Konerko, and Jones. You might as well shop Putz too, and i can't see Jenks really fetching anything, unless he's a piece in the package. I'd DFA Williams, Vizquel and Kotsay, and just restock the 25-man with younger guys. Note: Not Danks 2 or Viciedo. Not Yet.

Jenks, I don't really care if he bring anything back, but if I can get rid of 1/2 of his salary for the season I'd totally do it.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:18 AM)
The only players that need to be traded (in my mind) are A.J., Konerko, and Jones. You might as well shop Putz too, and i can't see Jenks really fetching anything, unless he's a piece in the package. I'd DFA Williams, Vizquel and Kotsay, and just restock the 25-man with younger guys. Note: Not Danks 2 or Viciedo. Not Yet.

Thornton, Putz, and Jenks are all options as well. Thornton has one year left on this team before he gets expensive and at that point, you have to ask yourself whether it is worth it to pay huge money to a reliever. Now Thornton might be the best lefty reliever in the game, but he should command 10M a year and I don't think I'd pay my closer 10M a year.

Jenks probably has little value, if any, but if you can save money great. Putz, well, if he can pitch decently he should have significant value. Set-up men tend to be big time commodities at the deadline. And despite Putz ERA, his periph's look pretty solid.

It should be pointed out, if the Sox make the above moves, they clearly won't contend in 2010. In fact, they'd be downright awful.

You know what's sad is if the Sox did trade AJ and/or Konerko and/or Jones and then DFA'd Vizquel and Kotsay then brought some young guys, we'd probably feel better about the team. I'm not saying they'd complete and make a run at MN, but they'd probably be a little more exciting to watch.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Thornton, Putz, and Jenks are all options as well. Thornton has one year left on this team before he gets expensive and at that point, you have to ask yourself whether it is worth it to pay huge money to a reliever. Now Thornton might be the best lefty reliever in the game, but he should command 10M a year and I don't think I'd pay my closer 10M a year.

Thornton has an option for 2011 correct? IMO, the only reason to move him is if you're worried about his elbow now. He's not likely to be worth that much less next year than this, you could even get more value out of him by turning him into a closer after moving Jenks, and worst case scenario I'd be happy to offer him arbitration after 2011.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Jenks, I don't really care if he bring anything back, but if I can get rid of 1/2 of his salary for the season I'd totally do it.

I agree. The Sox should get rid of Jenks if the opportunity arises. I don't think they have any intention of letting him go to arbitration next year and then being stuck paying him $8-9 million for next season. That would be crazy. Even with increases in current players salaries heading into next season, the elimination of the salaries of A.J., Konerko and Jenks is close to $26 million for next season. You can't tell me with that off the books the Sox won't be a serious contender for someone like Carl Crawford.

Also, what about trading Freddy Garcia or even releasing him and letting Daniel Hudson come up and get some addtional major league experience? It seems like a waste to let Freddy stay with the club and eat up innings that could be valuable experience for a younger pitcher like Hudson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)
Thornton has an option for 2011 correct? IMO, the only reason to move him is if you're worried about his elbow now. He's not likely to be worth that much less next year than this, you could even get more value out of him by turning him into a closer after moving Jenks, and worst case scenario I'd be happy to offer him arbitration after 2011.

Excellent point. It just depends on whether the Sox see themselves competitive in 2011. If they don't, I'd think long and hard about moving him now so that you can get the prospects now in the rebuilding process. But again, if we move him to closer and he kicks ass (which he should), than his trade value would definitely increase. I think a team knowing they have him for another year at a bargain makes him a very very very big chip.

In fact, I could see the Sox getting 3 of the top 5 prospects out of an organization.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
Excellent point. It just depends on whether the Sox see themselves competitive in 2011. If they don't, I'd think long and hard about moving him now so that you can get the prospects now in the rebuilding process. But again, if we move him to closer and he kicks ass (which he should), than his trade value would definitely increase. I think a team knowing they have him for another year at a bargain makes him a very very very big chip.

In fact, I could see the Sox getting 3 of the top 5 prospects out of an organization.

Yeah, if you could totally cream another team, then I'd consider moving him, but that's literally what it would take. I don't even think about trading Thor because I have such a hard time seeing another team giving up as much as I'd want in exchange for him. I think it's a lot more likely that a team would meet my price for Rios than for Thornton.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
I wonder if we start dealing off bigger parts if Peavy won't ask to be dealt as well... he did come here with hopes of competing.

Luckily KW isnt a message board GM that think of selling an entire MLB team because of an underperforming stretch. I'm sure the Charlotte Knights would really keep the interest of a few folks on this board because all they want is change, but there is NO WAY in hell we sell of the entire team especially players under control for several seasons in their prime.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
Luckily KW isnt a message board GM that think of selling an entire MLB team because of an underperforming stretch. I'm sure the Charlotte Knights would really keep the interest of a few folks on this board because all they want is change, but there is NO WAY in hell we sell of the entire team especially players under control for several seasons in their prime.

Why keep around players who are in a contract for 2-3 more years when it is going to be pretty tough to be competitive during those years. Might as well try to get some good young players again.

As has been said, trade the free agents to be and jettison the dead weight that is Williams, Kotsay and Vizquel. This snake bit year is over, but I believe we still have the starting pitching to compete again next year if our front office doesn't spend another offseason drunk.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
Why keep around players who are in a contract for 2-3 more years when it is going to be pretty tough to be competitive during those years. Might as well try to get some good young players again.

What about the worst to first transformation Detroit did a couple years back? Are we that far off?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
What about the worst to first transformation Detroit did a couple years back? Are we that far off?

It depends on Beckham and Quentin.

If they're 2 all stars, then we're close.

If they're 2 busts, then we have a debacle of a lineup.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)

No. We all were ready to cede them the division when they added Cabrera, then they finished last. Sometimes its just not your year.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)

If it's done right, it's entirely possible to be competitive next year, we just have to be intelligent about how its done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
It depends on Beckham and Quentin.

If they're 2 all stars, then we're close.

If they're 2 busts, then we have a debacle of a lineup.

Agreed, but I Pollyannanish beleive that Becks is only sophomore slumping and that Q has got to still be hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
If it's done right, it's entirely possible to be competitive next year, we just have to be intelligent about how its done.

Only if 4-6 players bounce back. And I don't think it is very smart to ever count on that.

Konerko will likely be gone. Same with Jones.

I think our payroll is going to be pretty low next year. It is going to be tough to be competitive IMO.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)

Why is it tough to be competitive over those years again? We have the core of our rotation signed long term including a former Cy Young award winner. We have a good middle infield and what looks to be an All-Star caliber CF'er. Thats what you call the CORE of a team. You then add pieces to that as see fit to compete. We have a young starter in the minors, a catcher, a 3B and maybe an OF'er. Thus you have a core, young contributors and space for a vet free agent signing. Thats a competitive team right there for the next 3 years at least.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Agreed, but I Pollyannanish beleive that Becks is only sophomore slumping and that Q has got to still be hurt.

I think you're right on Beckham, his average on balls in play is .235 (though his LD% is kind of low). His HR/FB rate is even worse. Quentin is hitting .180 on balls in play, with a LD% only .3 lower than 2008. I still think it's too late for this team, but I thing these two can be legitimate contributors in upcoming seasons (Though I think Quentin needs to DH, he's bad in the OF).

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
I think you're right on Beckham, his average on balls in play is .235 (though his LD% is kind of low). His HR/FB rate is even worse. Quentin is hitting .180 on balls in play, with a LD% only .3 lower than 2008. I still think it's too late for this team, but I thing these two can be legitimate contributors in upcoming seasons (Though I think Quentin needs to DH, he's bad in the OF).

Bad is an understatement.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)

Its not even close to too late in the season for this team. We arent 20 games back and we should be. If KW can deal for a bat of some kind or if Q and Becks wake up, this is an entirely different team. We arent even out of April and most of you have given up, thats pretty weak.

Well we are out of April, and this team is really bad. Last year the situation was different because there wasn't any one good team in our division, but the Twins are substantially improved and the Tigers seem to be on a hot streak. This season might not be over but its definitely on its last legs. Whether KW decides its worth it to get some marginal return on expiring contracts or not, we'll see.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
I don't think AJ will bring the Sox much other than cash savings, but I could be wrong. Maybe you can get one of the Rangers young catchers that they haven't been able to develop, not sure. But I think now would be a good time to move AJ and consider letting Flowers try it up here. Probably a bit too soon as Flowers still has adjustments to make, but it is what it is.

I personally believe some of the moves by KW have already shot us in the foot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
Why is it tough to be competitive over those years again? We have the core of our rotation signed long term including a former Cy Young award winner. We have a good middle infield and what looks to be an All-Star caliber CF'er. Thats what you call the CORE of a team. You then add pieces to that as see fit to compete. We have a young starter in the minors, a catcher, a 3B and maybe an OF'er. Thus you have a core, young contributors and space for a vet free agent signing. Thats a competitive team right there for the next 3 years at least.

I agree with you. And I think that is what makes everything tough. If they rebuild, they need to do it where they maintain the ability to utilize the rotation they have and some of the pieces they have. It can be done, it won't be easy necessarily, but it can be done.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
I agree with you. And I think that is what makes everything tough. If they rebuild, they need to do it where they maintain the ability to utilize the rotation they have and some of the pieces they have. It can be done, it won't be easy necessarily, but it can be done.

The rotation we have isn't all that great. Buerhle has been bad since the middle of last year. Same with Floyd. Peavy hasn't been anything near an Ace, much less an All-star type pitcher.

It can be done, but you are praying for a ton of players to play significantly above what they ddi this year. I think that is a big risk, and not the way to build the team. Thats just my opinion though.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ May 17, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
The rotation we have isn't all that great. Buerhle has been bad since the middle of last year. Same with Floyd. Peavy hasn't been anything near an Ace, much less an All-star type pitcher.

It can be done, but you are praying for a ton of players to play significantly above what they ddi this year. I think that is a big risk, and not the way to build the team. Thats just my opinion though.

Ya, I'm not concerned with our pitching. I'd actually be ok moving Buehrle, but I'm not dealing Floyd/Peavy/Danks. I'd still keep Mark though too, unless you get a strong offer from some club.

And Floyd has not been bad since the middle of last year. The guy was dominant after his slow start up until his hip started bugging him.