Rangers inquire about AJ

EvilJester99

By Zach Links [May 16 at 6:44pm CST]

The Rangers have inquired about the availability of White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, a source tells Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. Over the weekend, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports identified the veteran backstop as a trade candidate.

The 2010 season has not been kind to Pierzynski, who has a slash line of .198/.254/.292 with 2 HRs in 115 plate appearances. The two-time All-Star is one of six starting position players on the White Sox with a batting average south of .250.

Pierzynski, 33, will have the right to veto any trade in four weeks. Gonzales writes that a lengthy delay in the sale of the Rangers has raised the question of whether the club could take on the remainder of the catcher's 2010 salary. According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, Pierzynski is set to earn a base salary of $6.25MM for this season with incentives that could tack on another $580K.

Acquiring Pierzynski would give Texas an experienced starter behind the plate. To date, they have not found a reliable everyday option in Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Max Ramirez, Taylor Teagarden, or Matt Treanor.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Because there is nothing more valuable than a catcher who can't throw the ball back to the pitcher without getting the CF, 2B,SS involved.

If it's medical Herm will be on it, if it's mental get him shrink and let him DH or play 1b.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:03 PM)
If it's medical Herm will be on it, if it's mental get him shrink and let him DH or play 1b.

This is a guy who offense has decline each year he's been in the major leagues. In 300 AB last year he hit 9 homers had a .290 OBP and struck out almost 100 times. He's not 1B or DH material unless you like 110 loss seasons. This issue is supposedly mental BTW.

Improving the offense by acquiring even weaker hitters than what you already have has been tried by KW and OG, and it really hasn't worked out.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
This is a guy who offense has decline each year he's been in the major leagues. In 300 AB last year he hit 9 homers had a .290 OBP and struck out almost 100 times. He's not 1B or DH material unless you like 110 loss seasons. This issue is supposedly mental BTW.

Improving the offense by acquiring even weaker hitters than what you already have has been tried by KW and OG, and it really hasn't worked out.

This organization has a nice history of gambling on "busted" top prospects. I see no use in changing that willingess to take chances.

Blindfold him, walk him out to the pitcher's mound. Have him get into a crouch and throw to a guy straight on in the direction that they yell at him. Have him take his blindfold off after he throws so that he realizes that he's not behind the plate anymore.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
You guys do realize catcher is a pretty important position. There is a lot more involved than an .850 OPS. If you can't throw the ball back to the pitcher, you cannot catch. Tyler Flowers, God bless him, but if you call him up and suddenly he's not ready defensively and Peavy and Danks and Buerhle and Floyd and Garcia don't like throwing to him, its over. They will never want to throw to him.

Last year it was get Thome out of here, get Contreras out of here things will be so much better. Funny how they are doing fine but the White Sox are not. It will be exactly the same if and when the Sox dump AJP. He is way more important than his batting average.

Flowers will be the primary catcher here in the event of an A.J. trade anyway. You get a guy like Salty because he offers a nice combination of versatility and uncharted potential that an organization in our position can afford to take a chance on.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 16, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
Flowers will be the primary catcher here in the event of an A.J. trade anyway. You get a guy like Salty because he offers a nice combination of versatility and uncharted potential that an organization in our position can afford to take a chance on.

I'm sorry, his time as a decent prospect has ended. Its actually real sad what's happening to him now because Texas was going to call him up, but he has the yips.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I'm sorry, his time as a decent prospect has ended. Its actually real sad what's happening to him now because Texas was going to call him up, but he has the yips.

We clear A.J's contract, give a shot for Flowers to win or loss the job, and give another shot for a kid, like Salty, to work out his issues. This doesn't sound as good an argument as it would have at the start of the year, but all this talk of confidence issues reminds me of all the reasons that were given not to believe in Gavin Floyd. I'm still not seeing the downside.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
Because there is nothing more valuable than a catcher who can't throw the ball back to the pitcher without getting the CF, 2B,SS involved.

Salty = Rube Baker.

This is their best chance to win the AL West for around a decade though right now.

Whether or not Pierzynski is an upgrade for them is debatable, but they should be going for it this season definitely, so I could certainly see them making some moves to improve their major league team as we get closer to the deadline.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
You guys do realize catcher is a pretty important position. There is a lot more involved than an .850 OPS. If you can't throw the ball back to the pitcher, you cannot catch. Tyler Flowers, God bless him, but if you call him up and suddenly he's not ready defensively and Peavy and Danks and Buerhle and Floyd and Garcia don't like throwing to him, its over. They will never want to throw to him.

Last year it was get Thome out of here, get Contreras out of here things will be so much better. Funny how they are doing fine but the White Sox are not. It will be exactly the same if and when the Sox dump AJP. He is way more important than his batting average.

I completely agree about AJ's value. That said, it makes zero sense to give a multi-year deal to a catcher who will be 34 next year and sports a career .749 OPS. If they can get him to accept a one-year deal, that would be fine with me. But this is his last chance to get a multi-year deal, so he's probably not going that route.

It most likely won't matter what Peavy, Danks, Buehrle, or Floyd think of AJ's replacement. Because if the Sox aren't competitive next year, half of them won't finish the year in Chicago.

Dick Allen normally speaketh the truth. Spot on.

I would not be surprised if AJ is dealt, but I agree with several posters that noted his value is higher than just his hitting. Aside from salary relief, I would hope the Sox get something decent in return. I don't know much about Ranger prospects...I only know about Salty and his rare throwing issue.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
I really can't imagine Texas would give up Salty for 4 months of AJP. With that said, Texas has a ton of prospects though that I'm sure the Sox would be happy to take off their hands.

And we wouldn't be able to sniff a single one of them for AJP.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:54 AM)
And we wouldn't be able to sniff a single one of them for AJP.

Exactly, we're not shooting for the start by trading A.J. The best we can hope for is young guys whom the Rangers have either log-jammed or given up on. To me, that's Salty and Chris Davis.

AJ isn't making that much money that you even consider dumping him, given all of the things he brings to the table. He's not even tendered past this year! Not to mention you aren't going to get ANYTHING worth a damn that will offset what you're losing if you trade him. You think teams are going to give up a top prospect for AJ? I mean, really?

Stupid trade idea. How about coming up with a trade that actually makes sense?

Oh, and if you think the White Sox are going to tear up whatever semblance of hope their fans (not you, or me, but the casuals that go to games and don't sweat if the team loses) have, by having a firesale and dumping 8 or 9 faces of this franchise, and risk an all-time low attendance in 2011, keep dreaming! They'll come up with a way to dump a guy here and there, and plan it out so the team still looks competitive next year and still be alright financially

This team is screwed though, as far as actually WINNING divisions. What's the philosophy of the White Sox as a franchise? Do they teach ANYTHING to their prospects coming up through the system, that can be expected of them once they reach the big leagues? Look at the Twins, Rays, Yankees, even the Nationals, Angels. These teams are doing it the right way. A way this team has never done it.

This franchise as it stands has no definition. Just a generic organization that doesn't have a strong farm system, or scouting department. They can't properly evaluate talent in the minors OR in the majors. You can group the Sox in with other generic franchises like the Rangers, Mariners, Tigers, Indians, A's, etc. Teams that aren't expected to be competitive on a yearly basis.

If this organization doesn't develop a philosophy, a philosophy where all players are expected to understand what this team is about, a philosophy where players and management care about performing at the highest level, then it's going to continue on being a gigantic clusterf***, like it has been the last 2-3 years

flame away!

QUOTE (Real @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
AJ isn't making that much money that you even consider dumping him, given all of the things he brings to the table. He's not even tendered past this year! Not to mention you aren't going to get ANYTHING worth a damn that will offset what you're losing if you trade him. You think teams are going to give up a top prospect for AJ? I mean, really?

Oh, and if you think the White Sox are going to tear up whatever semblance of hope their fans (not you, or me, but the casuals that go to games and don't sweat if the team loses) have, by having a firesale and dumping 8 or 9 faces of this franchise, and risk an all-time low attendance in 2011, keep dreaming! They'll come up with a way to dump a guy here and there, and plan it out so the team still looks competitive next year and still be alright financially

This team is screwed though, as far as actually WINNING divisions. What's the philosophy of the White Sox as a franchise? Do they teach ANYTHING to their prospects coming up through the system, that can be expected of them once they reach the big leagues? Look at the Twins, Rays, Yankees, even the Nationals, Angels. These teams are doing it the right way. A way this team has never done it.

This franchise as it stands has no definition. Just a generic organization that doesn't have a strong farm system, or scouting department. They can't properly evaluate talent in the minors OR in the majors. You can group the Sox in with other generic franchises like the Rangers, Mariners, Tigers, Indians, A's, etc. Teams that aren't expected to be competitive on a yearly basis.

If this organization doesn't develop a philosophy, a philosophy where all players are expected to understand what this team is about, a philosophy where players and management care about performing at the highest level, then it's going to continue on being a gigantic clusterf***, like it has been the last 2-3 years

flame away!

I could feel the anger through my computer monitor. Wow.

QUOTE (Real @ May 17, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)

flame away!

Considering that the Rangers have one of the deepest and most talented farm systems in all of baseball, I wouldn't lump them in with the "can't be competitive on a yearly basis" crowd. Sometimes those small deals that seem like a simple salary dump work out pretty well. Ask the Indians if swapping out Broussard for Choo worked out at all. We are currently in baseball hell. The twins have a nice revenue stream, the Tigers just reloaded a bit and we are in the middle of the pack trying to see what goes on. Just changing deck chairs on the ship isn't going to fix it. Attendance is going to be terrible if its AJ on a 60-70 win team, or Flowers on a 60-70 win team. Attendance is tied to winning. Some of those names are getting a bit long in the tooth to keep resigning.