Rangers inquire about AJ

EvilJester99

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ May 17, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
AJ isn't making that much money that you even consider dumping him, given all of the things he brings to the table. He's not even tendered past this year! Not to mention you aren't going to get ANYTHING worth a damn that will offset what you're losing if you trade him. You think teams are going to give up a top prospect for AJ? I mean, really?

If the Sox trade AJ before his 5-and-10 rights kick in, they'll recoup at least $4M. Even if they don't get much in return, saving that money makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. Especially when gate revenue is declining.

I'm not necessarily advocating that the Sox do this (because I don't think that they're completely out of it... yet), but the "AJ isn't making that much money" line is a bad argument. If Kenny does later decide that the season is lost, paying AJ $6.75M is a horrible business decision.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
If the Sox trade AJ before his 5-and-10 rights kick in, they'll recoup at least $4M. Even if they don't get much in return, saving that money makes a lot of sense from a business perspective. Especially when gate revenue is declining.

I'm not necessarily advocating that the Sox do this (because I don't think that they're completely out of it... yet), but the "AJ isn't making that much money" line is a bad argument. If Kenny does later decide that the season is lost, paying AJ $6.75M is a horrible business decision.

Not if he declines arbitration and leaves via free agency and nets the Sox a pick or two. He hit over .300 last year.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Not if he declines arbitration and leaves via free agency and nets the Sox a pick or two. He hit over .300 last year.

Why would he decline arb? Unless, he burns every bridge here, i could see him preferring to finish career out with Buehrle and the rest of his buddies.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)

He hit exactly .300 last year, and 2003 was the last time that he had done so. He's currently hitting .200 this year and posting an OPS+ of 47. I don't know what types of picks the Sox will get from letting AJ walk, but I can't imagine that they'll get high-tier prospects with those picks. The organization may be more interested in saving the money, as (in per what JR said a couple of months ago), they'll be pulling back financially next year if the team doesn't win this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Yeah, we dont overvalue our players at all?

AJP, hated around the league, having a bad season, would be a short term rental.

Give us your top prospects!!!

That a boy, keep up the great work. It amazes me how much people overvalue our players on here. Next thing you know, people will say we can get Adrian Gonzalez for Morel and Viciedo!

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
its sad that im excited about the Sox trading AJ in May and maybe moving Flowers up to be a full time catcher.

For real. And as much as I complain about him, he will go down as one of my favorite Sox players of all time. I just think it's time to move on.

If this team is serious about contending in 2011, then we need to get Flowers some experience with the pitching staff this season. We're going to have several big holes to fill this off-season and have a couple bad contracts that will limit our financial flexibility to fill them. Therefore, we need a couple guys in the minors to step up and fill some spots cheaply while being at least semi-productive. Hudson should replace Freddy, but that won't give us huge cost savings. Santos can hopefully take on Putz or Jenks' role, which will save us some money even if we have to replace one or both of them. What we really need is someone to help on offense. IMO, the only guy close to being ready is Flowers. If he can just give us average production for a catcher, we're in a lot better position to afford the middle-of-the-order bat this offense desperately needs. Unfortunately, as much as I love what A.J. provides, I feel like we have to trade him (before he gets his 10/5 rights) to open up a spot for Flowers. If you can get something back for him of value or at least save some money then great, but the last thing I want to see is Flowers experiencing significant growing pains while handling the pitching staff in 2011.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
That a boy, keep up the great work. It amazes me how much people overvalue our players on here. Next thing you know, people will say we can get Adrian Gonzalez for Morel and Viciedo!

What type of free agent will he be? If he is a Type A or B that is the caliber of prospect you start with then you determine his value to the other team as well.

He has his shortcomings but he is still a solid catcher that has a world series on his resume. I do not know how he works with pitchers but they seem to be fine with him.

He should get something decent in return, what that is I do not know but I hope it more than when KW has given away guys in the past. I paid big money for my season tickets if they f***ed up the revenue stream too bad I want to get my money's worth and pure salary dumps are BS.

Either get a discussion worhty return or let him play it out and then walk. Same thing with Konerko.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
What type of free agent will he be? If he is a Type A or B that is the caliber of prospect you start with then you determine his value to the other team as well.

He has his shortcomings but he is still a solid catcher that has a world series on his resume. I do not know how he works with pitchers but they seem to be fine with him.

He should get something decent in return, what that is I do not know but I hope it more than when KW has given away guys in the past. I paid big money for my season tickets if they f***ed up the revenue stream too bad I want to get my money's worth and pure salary dumps are BS.

Either get a discussion worhty return or let him play it out and then walk. Same thing with Konerko.

We only get compensation if we offer arbit and he turns it down. AJ won't turn it down, because there isn't going to be a big free agent market for him.

I agree with Jenks Heat, no more just giving away players and saying "we owed it to them to put them into a better situation". KW has done a miserable job in the past of trading veterans for prospects, so I'm not overly optimistic he'll turn Jenks, AJP, Konerko, Jones, etc. into solid depth for our minors. The biggest positive is likely to come from saved money as well as opportunities for Flowers, Thornton (to close), Santos, Danks 2.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
We only get compensation if we offer arbit and he turns it down. AJ won't turn it down, because there isn't going to be a big free agent market for him.

Wouldn't arbitration also give AJ a pay raise? He's making $6.75M this year, and it's kind of difficult seeing the Sox paying him $8M next year (especially if this year forces them into outright rebuilding).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
I agree with Jenks Heat, no more just giving away players and saying "we owed it to them to put them into a better situation". KW has done a miserable job in the past of trading veterans for prospects, so I'm not overly optimistic he'll turn Jenks, AJP, Konerko, Jones, etc. into solid depth for our minors. The biggest positive is likely to come from saved money as well as opportunities for Flowers, Thornton (to close), Santos, Danks 2.

The point of it is to get return for the players you're going to let walk at the end of the season anyway.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 17, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
The point of it is to get return for the players you're going to let walk at the end of the season anyway.

With sagging gate/concessions/parking revenue, dumping salary falls into that "return" category.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Wouldn't arbitration also give AJ a pay raise? He's making $6.75M this year, and it's kind of difficult seeing the Sox paying him $8M next year (especially if this year forces them into outright rebuilding).

At the very least he'd make $7M. I can't see any conceivable reason why he'd turn that down, there's really no way he'd land that on a TWO year deal on the open market let alone 1 year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)

Danks 2 is not even close to being ready IMO. If we bring him up this year, we'll be doing him a huge disservice. He needs to cut down those strikeouts and raise his average in AAA before getting any consideration.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 17, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)

It could. It depends on the figures submitted by the team and AJ, and then who sells the case better to the arbiter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
It could. It depends on the figures submitted by the team and AJ, and then who sells the case better to the arbiter.

The very least the Sox could offer him would be $5.4M which is likely quite a bit more than he'd be looking at on the open market and if he finishes the year with even mediocre offensive numbers and his people submit a number of $7M up against any figure lower than that submitted by the Sox he'd win in a landslide. A good major league veteran everyday catcher making a reasonable salary is not going to see a salary reduction in arbitration, a slight pay rise would be likely.